I'm playing a hentai game with no sex

That’s really the only way to describe Ar Tonelico.

It is, in theory, an RPG from Gust, and it plays practically the same as both Atelier Iris, except whatever improvements to the battle system got added on AI2 went down the drain. It also has a renamed-yet-identical version of the Alchemy system that they’ve been copy-pasting on their works since time immemorial and a traditionally ignorable story. But none of that is the focus of the game.

The focus of the game is in the Dive System and the Reyvateils. Reyvateils are kind of biological sentient weapons or something of the sort, all oddly crafted to look as beautiful girls, who can create magic through singing and blast shit up. Up to there it’s fine.

They learn their magic by shaping parts of their mind through willpower, but since changing oneself at will is hard, they need someone to go into their minds and help them solve inner conflicts and better themselves. Sort of like therapy on crack. Still okay.

The issue? Every goddamn line involving the Reyvateil is dripping so much innuendo that if they had actually been explicit about what they were hinting at this would be an AO game. Dive Shops are a blatantly obvious metaphor for the japanese Love Hotels, and you get dropped lines like “it’s my first time” and “please be gentle” with so much frequency that it becomes a joke. It’s really one huge dating sim that manages to imply sexual relationships without ever actually involving sex.

I should make special note of two things. First is our valiant hero, Lyner, Dashing-Hotblooded-yet-Noble-and-Handsome-Knight #112962. There’s nothing BAD about him, but nothing GOOD either. He’s the dictionary definition of a stereotype, and not in the satirical way Disgaea’s Gordon and Adell were stereotypes. The guy is just boring, and constantly spouts lines varying from the “FOR GREAT JUSTICE” class when the fleeting story comes into play, to the naïve “Oh, I wonder what is wrong with her?” whenever any of the girls is trying to get him to fuck them. This is a serious disappointment, especially since AI2’s Felt was pretty good, or at least had a personality.

Second, the Reyvateils. Who, for simplicity, I will classify as The Shy One, The Energetic One and The Serious One. Yeah, the typical stereotypes for H-Game <strike>whores</strike> heroines. What sweeping originality.

That’s about it. I’m not that far into the game, but aside from an annoying hiccupping lag issue when opening menus, and the fact that the “accept” sound for everything is one scratching chirriating chime similar to a nail scratching a blackboard (I’m not kidding), it’s decent enough. The music is definitely a high point, still in the same style as the AI games.

Heh, reminds me of Thousand Arms, which actually WAS a combination Fantasy RPG/Date Sim game! Except TA was never so blatant about its symbolism. (I know, you can draw a parallel between “weapon” and “penis” but since the female characters had weapons too, I don’t think that was the point. Or at least I hope it wasn’t.) :smiley:

I liked that game; nothing major, but it was fun. The basic premise was that the hero could forge magic weapons, but only with the help of a girl, and he needed to increase the “intimacy” level with a girl before he could make stronger weapons. So, you had to take them out on dates to do that, buy them gifts ect. Didn’t make much sense, but it was a lot of fun, especially trying to figure out what to say to them to make them like you; saying the wrong thing could get her mad at you. :smiley: And no, there was no sex- though sometimes you got kissed, which to the Japanese is almost as shocking. :stuck_out_tongue: Oh, there was also an old man who “collected” kisses, giving you gifts in exchange. Ok, THAT was nuts- how could he know that you have been kissed, and how many times, or WHY would he want to “buy” them, or how?? Whatever, it was funny.

What made up for all this silliness is that the characters in the game were more than simple stereotypes; you weren’t just dating bimbos, they had colorful personalities and subplots to deal with… though some of the ladies seemed to be a little crazy. One had multiple personalities, in fact, and another, if asked the right kind of questions, sort of hinted that she was into S&M. Err, check please!! :stuck_out_tongue:

In addition, TA DID have a story, the typical save-the-world-from-ancient-evil type, not too original but entertaining enough. My only complaints about the game were that the ending, while romantic enough, didn’t allow you to choose which girl you ended up with (that would’ve given it more replayability, in my opinion) and the bizarre combat system, that allowed only one character (or monster) in a party to fight at a time, with the others helping only with items or by cheering.

An addition: “Install System”. Sticking an ability enhancing item into a Reyvateil’s body through a magical “Insert Port”. Okay, the Port is actually a symbol on the girl’s chest that absorbs the item, so it’s not as blatant as it sounds. But the related dialogue…

“I heard it hurts when you push it in”
“It was my first time so it kinda hurt, but if we practice I’m sure it won’t be as painful anymore”

Yeah.

EDIT: Ok, actually there IS one remarkable thing here. And that’s Don Leon, a sporadically appearing character that doesn’t do much, but is incredibly cute and funny. To boot, he’s voiced by Dave Wittenberg, the same guy who plays Tink in Disgaea 2, only this time it’s with an awesomely shitty spanish accent.

“Aha. I dare you to make even less sense”

I saw the title, and I immediately knew you were talking about Ar Tonelico >_> This game had better come to Europe soon.

I don’t know about that. But even after two paltry weeks of seeing Indian women rub cheeks/kiss the air instead of kissing (never in RL of course), I too was shocked seeing a kiss.

“Insert it… into my back.”
“All right, here we go!”
“Ouch! It’s ok… push it all the way…”
“I’m sorry, it must have been painful for you.”
“It’s all right, as long as its you, I can take the pain.”

EDIT: Made a mistake…

This game is hilarious and awful at the same time.