I fucking hate Sony

So, that tech demo shown at E3 might be more than just that, after all? Those friggin FFVII fanboys from SE :wink:

As for PS3 $$$,
Sony can sell PS3 without a hard drive and that would reduce the console’s price:

Chief technology officer of Sony Computer Entertainment, Masayuki Chatani, has expressed doubts regarding the inclusion of a hard drive on the PlayStation 3.

The price of the PS3 is still up in the air now that the inclusion of a hard drive is in question. The price is expected to be higher than the Xbox 360, which Microsoft’s J Allard commented would be around $300.

http://ps2.gamespy.com/articles/621/621794p1.html

I would like to have to play the remake of Final Fantasy VII, but if it anything like the recent remake of Final Fantasy Adventure, aka Sword of Mana, then it might turn out worst then the orignal project. I hope Sword of Mana was a fluke, as it would be nice to play the game on a dvd that isn’t going to randomly lost my save.

As for the Playstation 3…if Sony doesn’t keep it at 300 dollars and 50 dollar games, then they are screwed. Did that PSX released in Japan do THAT good for being 600 dollars or something?

Exactly. But here, Sony knows that every idiot who just likes to play Madden will pick up a PS3 for 465 bucks, because they don’t know any better.

Didn’t the PS1 have some obnoxious price point when it was released as well? Back in its first few months, when they were using those book sized cases to hold CDs?

The PS1 was also released at $300.

I think the Saturn was first priced at 500 CDN over here.

The Saturn was originally $300 USD. The Playstation was originally $300 USD. The Jaguar, the 3DO, and the Neo•Geo were all $400 and up.

Yea, the Neo was 650/700, but hey, its a Neo. The price point is justified by the name :stuck_out_tongue:

Difficult to think with all of these numbers going around. ::dekar!::

I am sure these price tags are only an estimate. We have no idea what type of international economical crisis might occur in the next couple years. Although these game systems make up a rather nice chunk of any nation’s economy, you have to consider the supply/demand crap, and all those little things that figure out how well things will sell, etc, etc, etc.

Jaguar had to be like $250. That was like the only explanation Atari could give why anybody would want one. AND IT’S GOT MOTE BITS THAN THE COMPETITION!
And 3DO I thought was like $700-760.
And wasn’t LaserActive the only system even more expensive ($800 for the system, plus you needed at least either of the SegaCD or TurboDuo adapters, at $500)?

I think 3DO and Neo might be why I don’t think Sony would charge much beyond the 300s… few would buy one, so they’d probably get less dev support. (well, Neo also lacked diversity. Good if you love fighting games, not much else if you don’t)

The age of cheap video games is soon to be over. Consider that the only thing holding back the gaming industry is technology. Now consider this as if you were a “hardcore” PC gamer. They will go to extreme limits to upgrade thier computers with the top of the line hardware as soon as it comes available to be at the peak of performance. I’ve seen new video cards going for 500-600 dollars at places like Fryes Electronics and Best Buy.

Lets now step back into the shoes of the console gamer who is trying to play games on a system that is getting ahead of itself before the technology is at a reasonable price.

Remember that companies loose money on systems and make it back on software. The more expensive the hardware inside the system, the more expensive the games will be to balance the price difference. And seeing as how the specs on these new systems is amazing, I find it hard to believe that people ARE suprised at the rise in prices for gaming.

Point being, gaming will never be cheap, and if anything it will continue to rise in price or level off at some point when the companies stop trying to push “the best” hardware they can for the system’s time.

Maybe companies should learn to make decent games for the hardware they have, first. Name one game that actually uses all those fancy-pants-3D graphics in a way that adds to the experience :stuck_out_tongue:

And man, the Jag…i forgot all about that system. Back when i was in the fifth grade, this kid named BJ Stall (i think? or maybe it was BJ Brown, or Benny Brown) had one, and we all thought he was god for it. He used to bring in the cartridges and we’d drool over them on the bus. Never got to actually play the system, but the allure of something other than our Genesis’ and SNES’ was amazing :stuck_out_tongue:

And what the heck was the Laserdisc system? Anyone remember that sucker? Continuing to ride the nostalgia train here, some kid at my school had one, WAAAAYYYY back in 1st/2nd grade. I remember he showed us the disc, and then i went home and asked my dad for one. My dad took me out to the department store, and it way like 300 bucks! Or something that seemed like an inconceivable amount of money back in those days. Looking back, i can’t remember a system that used Laserdiscs…what the hell was that?

Laserdisks… Was that the crazy ass media player thing that used cds the size of records?

Yea! They were popular for movies, before DVDs came out, but this was an actual game system.