How to stop a hurricane (I think they deserve an IgNobel)

clicka

Really… some of these ideas cracked me up.

Other ideas include pouring great amounts of ice into the ocean to cut off a storm’s heat supply or laying vast sheets of plastic or film over the seas.

No comments.

One man suggested the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s hurricane research center in Miami use prayer to combat hurricanes.

I think it’s been tried for centuries without success.

How about, instead of all these ‘geniuses’ figuring out how to stop them, they figure out how to better support buildings to withstand them, and make it so the hurricanes don’t cause as much damage. It would cost way less in repairs and midifications than researching these methods and putting them to use.

We’re idiots. When will we ever learn?

I like the nuke idea, though. There would be a radioactive Hurricane ravaging and contaminating the land at the same time!

All the ideas suck, and it’s not like hurricanes are overly oppresive. If us Californians can build structures to withstand earthquakes they can build something to withstand hurricanes.

Fools! E-mail is the only proven method to change a hurricaine’s path.

Take this recent e-mail conversation between myself and a buddy of mine in Texas:

gets out a really, really big ping-pong paddle and waves it at the approaching hurricane

No! I already stood one hurricane watch this month! Go away!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 1:41 PM
To: ***@. Navy. Mil (E-mail)
Subject: cloudlet

haha now the storm is coming your way lol

There you have it. Had I not waved my magical ping-pong paddle the storm would have come to Alabama and not Texas.

Hillarious…

Well I think that planting forest is the best idea in this.

More Darwin Awards need to be handed out. Nice one Rast 8P

Either build cheaper houses or sturdier houses. That way you dont have to worry so much.

Who needs houses when you have SHIPS that go UP and DOWN and UP and DOWN in ROUGH SEAS :moogle: and EVERYONE GETS SICK! :eek:

It is MUCH FUN! Except for the last time - I almost got hit in the head by a flying copy machine :enguard: (I swear to shit I am not making this up) (it wasn’t tied down)

Speaking of things, I sent ANOTHER message to my buddy tonight:

I see the storm passed right over you. Did your little boat do any neat tricks like rolls or coming all the way out of the water? :stuck_out_tongue:

I GO BED NOW BEFORE I GET ANYMORE CRAZY. :boring:

I know! We could get Sinistar to eat the hurricane!

I HUNGER …

Originally posted by Ren
I like the nuke idea, though. There would be a radioactive Hurricane ravaging and contaminating the land at the same time!

Exactly

One man suggested the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s hurricane research center in Miami use prayer to combat hurricanes.

“When I stopped taking him seriously, he prayed a hurricane would come and get me,” said Hugh Willoughby, NOAA’s former director of hurricane research.

I love this guys response to nobody taking him seriously… that just cracks me up

Points to quote in sig

They do have a point that converting the sahara into a tropical forest is utterly retarded, because that shows whoever suggested that is fully of shit. Though the humidity would dampen the heat somewhat, 1- the sahara is motherfuckingly big 2- the sahara is a deserver and the amazon a rainforest because of their geographic positions; their environments are what they are because of vital and ancient wind patterns that have sculped the world throughout time. Meaning, the Sahara is ultra dry because all the humidity there is sucked out and the coriolis effect moves it to another location where it 'll form a front with another curved wind pattern. Adding more humidity could actually cause more and worse hurricanes if the heat difference isn’t that big (and let’s not even go into the environmental damage that would occur from releasing tons of chemicals in the ocean)

Gah! “Nuke 'em”?!
What kind of idea is that?! Crap-for-brains… -_-;

I hope you melt, Manus.

That was funny, I dont care who you are, thats funny.

chuckles People have ideas… Bad ideas, but ideas nontheless.

How about this idea, then? [non-serious post] We take cans of whipped cream and baking soda to totally foam up the hurricane and therefore keep it from making rain. [/non-serious post]
Seriously, we just need to build better homes and buildings.

At least the person who wrote that report, knew that trying to destroy something like that with modern weapons, would create a few ‘side effects’ that may actually be WORSE than the bloody huricanes!!

What’s wrong with Nuke’in 'em?

Oh, not a lot, except for the possible destruction to everything in the area, they are used in!

Ohhhhhhh…