Horton Hears a Cha-Ching!$

The Horton movie made 45$ Million dollars on its first weekend. That’s 30 million dollars more than the next movie that weekend (10000 BC) and is the biggest opening movie so far this year.

I have to admit I’m somewhat surprised, I half-expected it to flop. This is after all a short Dr. Seuss story turned into an hour-and-a-half CGI movie with modern humor injected.

Then again, maybe I’m underestimating the impact of Seuss fandom on American people. I understand the tales are a beloved part of many people’s childhoods; not mine, but you try translating those rhymes into Spanish. :wink: "No comere huevos verdes y jamon"… um, no.

Or maybe it’s just that there’s a dearth of family movies right now. It’s Spring Break as well, and many young people have a lot of time to watch movies.

I have to admit I groaned when I saw the ad where the characters were all singing “I Just Can’t Fight This Feeling Anymore” (And I like REO Speedwagon.) Maybe it’s funnier in context…

Anyway: should I go see it? How about the rest of you?

Originally Posted by Wilfredo Martinez
Then again, maybe I’m underestimating the impact of Seuss fandom on American people.

No I think its more likely due to what you mentioned in your first paragraph.

The Horton movie made 45$ Million dollars on its first weekend. That’s 30 million dollars more than the next movie that weekend (10000 BC) and is the biggest opening movie so far this year.

Basically the next best movie was [STRIKE]“ITS OVER 9000!!! BC”[/STRIKE] 10000 BC. That isn’t exactly the stiffest competition for a movie to face especially since everyone already went out to see 10000 BC last week.

I dunno. I grew up with Seuss, “One Fish, Two Fish” was my favorite book when I was 5, yet I have no intention of seeing this movie.

From the reviews I’ve read, it’s at least moderately satisfying as long you know what to expect; indeed, you can just use that same philosophy with most movies and it works better than reviews. Vantage Point was not favored by critics from what I recall but the theater-goers I passed seemed to applaud it unanimously - the same goes with Bucket List and 300.

Very rarely have I seen a family movie flop. Even if it sucks, it’s bound to have a moderately good first weekend; what might ruin it is if another family was out at the same time, but the Spiderwick Chronicles has already made it’s money and College Road Trip has been out for at least two weeks.

…I just wish people would get their kids to clean up after themselves. This could wind up worse than Happy Feet.

I don’t have any plans to see this.

I feel like presenting Dr. Seuss stories like this just sort of ruins the Dr. Seuss magic. Without the wacky tongue twisting rhymes is a Dr. Seuss story any different than any other children’s story? No.

After seeing much of “Horton” in my colleges musicale production of “Seussical,” I want to see this film.

Alas, without a car, I can’t make a 30 minute drive to go see it.

Whup exploding radiators. >: (

The only good Dr. Seuss translations to film were the old cartoons where they were just narrating the story and animating the scene behind it.

I’m kinda with Rinn there. How The Grinch Stole Christmas (the cartoon, I think it was narrated by Boris Karloff) added excessive song and dance routines and a pointless scene of dramatic tension when the toys and stuff accidentally start falling off the mountain …

And then there was a completely made-up Grinch story for Halloween or something, which randomly threw together a bunch of other elements from other Seuss stories and stuff. I learned the word “euphemism” from it, though.

http://www.popculturemadness.com/Entertainment/2007/Images/Horton-Hears-Who.jpg

I think that just about sums it up…

How so?