Homework over vacation

I personally don’t assign weekly homework over spring break when I teach a class. I try not to waste time though, so I plan the class in such a way that the last homework before break is due right on the day before the break, so students have to work right up to the end of classes. I do sometimes assign homework during a week with a short break (e.g. Thanksgiving), but in that case I make it shorter than usual. If the homework is more long-term, though, like if one has two or three weeks to do it, then I think it’s perfectly fine if one of those weeks is during break. If one is bothered by it, one can plan ahead.

It’s wholly reasonable; one may simply choose not to do the homework. If my grade is good enough in any given class, I always just skip whatever assignments I don’t want to do for one reason or another. This allowed me to do nothing but tests in math from November until the end of the semester and end up with an A last year. You just have to make sure and do damn well on the things you do.

Is it just me or are there a lot of people here that are teachers/TAs/etc?

If you don’t like it, you can quit.

Didn’t say I disliked it that much, I was just curious about what other people thought.

Hey, maybe not Kansas or Houston, but there’s always Florida State and Colorado. Those are the four programs I found when I was thinking about a creative writing phd.

In my high school creative writing department, we send pieces every so often for the college creative writing MAs and PHDs to critique for class. If their critiques are any judge of their abilities, I would very strongly reccomend against any attempts to learn creative writing, there.

None of the best authors ever got PhD’s in Creative Writing. I always wonder why their would-be imitators desire to…

You condemn them as imitators yet dislike the fact that they are doing something their would-be originals didn’t?

Also how do you know they’re imitators?

(That also reminds of Calvin and Hobbes: “Believe it, lady. You know how Einstein got bad grades in school when he was a kid? Well, mine are even worse!”)

Calvin and Hobbes was awesome.

Well, this one of the reasons why RPGC should be considered an educational institution. And having on board a dedicated, highly qualified and talented staff, puts this establishment right up there with world-renowned institutions of higher learning. Harvard, Cambridge, MIT, Oxford, McGill … and RPGC? Why not? :wink:
Oh, and lately, while filing my income tax return, I’ve been claiming my annual $2 contribution to RPGC as tax-deductible tuition fees.

Attention Faculty Members! This might happen to students who get too much work/assignments on their vacations:

That’s right! If you assign your students homework over a break, they might listen to Pink Floyd! Act now etc.