HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

How early in the game did they score their 3 points? I remember seeing it at the exact same score, 3-0 in the fifth inning. O_o

1 in the first, 2 in the third.

The Sox led off the game with a homerun, lol. They won the game in the first At Bat, man :stuck_out_tongue:

I was rooting for the Red Sox because I live in New York state, even though I don’t even watch sports.

Being so close to NYC, people talk about the Yankees all the fucking time… it’s about Goddamned time they shut up. :smiley:

Maybe this was the 2004 October surprise???
Forget WMD’s or Bin Laden’s Capture

Red Sox Win World Series

October Surprise 2004.
Sure surprised the hell outta me, but I’m happy, nonetheless

For those shorts, yes. Yes they do.

To respond to Cala’s comment about the Cards sucking, I do not believe that to be true at all. I was pulling for the Astros because I was scared of the Cardinals. We beat them good, but they’re still quite a force to be reckoned with.

Nice image, Shin.

And I don’t claim to be an expert by any means (I barely follow any sport and watch like 1/2 a game every year), but I’ll ocassionally check out stuff and the Cards didn’t seem that awesome.

One of my professors, born and bred in Boston, still thinks that there will be something that comes up later striping the Sox of their title.

It’s alright to see that in just a few snippets, but the fact is:

Albert Pujols
Jim Edmonds
Scott Rolen

All of which had at least 40 homers and 100 rbi, and are solid defensive players. They just couldn’t hit the Sox. They were served by Boston. Plain and simple.

Plus the Cards had the best record in Baseball. Not that it matters much unless you win the world series.

I knew Pujols and Edmonds but not Rolen. But I don’t think they were so completely awesome, in comparison to the Sox. Maybe I should’ve clarified because that’s what I meant for the most part; they had good players, the Sox just had more. I mean, no team makes it to the WS unless they’re half-decent, am I right?

That is a little more understandable. But it’s not just the fact that the Sox had good players. They also had some unique personalities. The Red Sox is definitely deeper in terms of Pitching than the Cards, and the Sox took advantage of the fact that none of the Cards pitchers had anything to throw by the Red Sox hitters. The Sox were hitting nearly every pitch in the series. And the Pitching by the Sox made the Cardinals look like guys with “Eddie’s Bail Bonds” on the back of their jerseys.

You are right, no team makes it to the Series without some talent. Also take into account that maybe the Cards looked better on paper, but the Sox played better under pressure, which in the playoffs is a much bigger factor than stats. And the Play of the Sox under pressure showed that they were indeed the better team with better players. The Cardinals, though good on paper, made very few clutch plays in the series. The shining moment for the Cards in this series was when Larry Walker Tied game 1 at 9-9. Too bad they lost 11-9. Also in the series Pujols, Rolen, And Edmonds combined for 1 hit(which was a BUNT).

LIES!!! Edmonds and Rolen combined for 1 bunt hit. Albert Pujols had 5 hits in the series (3 hits in game 2, 1 in game 3 and 1 in game 4).

Anyway the Cardinals were far and away the best offensive team in the majors this year (and had the best record in the majors to show for it). If they had a weak-point, it was their pitching. Most of their starters over-acheived throughout the season, and their best pitcher this year (Chris Carpenter) injured himself in September, and couldn’t play in the postseason. That makes their offensive collapse in the WS all the more startling, and a casual fan could look at them in the WS and say that they were a poor offensive team. But Curt Schilling, Pedro Martinez and Derek Lowe were just PHENOMENAL in the WS… the way they were pitching, they would make ANYBODY look bad. In the first game, against Wakefield, the Cardinals did score 9 runs, remember (but still somehow found a way to lose).

But great pitching will beat great hitting almost every time.

A couple other things I noticed…

Curt Schilling is the fucking MAN. Holy shit. Curt’s performance is up their with Willis Reed when he limped onto the court during the 1970 NBA finals with a <i>broken leg</i>. And the fact that Curt was almost unhittable when he came back makes it all the more special.

And has anybody ever seen Pedro Martinez as happy as he was all during Game 4 of the WS? He’s usually so pissed off (Who could forget his quote about exhuming Babe Ruth’s grave and drilling him with a fastball?), but he was as bubbly as a schoolgirl as the Sox were closing in on the series.

grabs siccors and a mirror Yeah… this means…

:bowser:

I don’t really care much for baseball but with a bf who is c\razy enough to make a bet… Anyways… go Red Sox?

:kissy:

Yeah, Hiryuu brings up the point that I was trying to make. My point being…

1. It really was their pitching that was the the Cards’ weak spot. The Cardinals had the GODLORD offensive team. They don’t have BAD pitchers by any means, but they don’t have any like, aces in the hole. I think the biggest reason Houston lost to the Cardinals in the NLCS is because two of our starting pitchers, Andy Petite (!) and Wade Miller, were in the disabled list. We were pretty much starting with pitchers from the bullpen.

2. Inversely, as I stated before, the Cardinals easily have the best offensive team in the league. Scott Rolen was a rookie of the year before IIRC, and he’s an awesome hitter :stuck_out_tongue: Just to throw that in there. :stuck_out_tongue: But, the Red Sox? They don’t have a TERRIBLE offense, but it’s not a ton compared to the Cardinals. :stuck_out_tongue: I didn’t even KNOW most of the players on the Red Sox Lineup…who have I even heard of? Ramirez, Mueller, and Nixon. That’s it. :stuck_out_tongue: Just about everyone in the Cards lineup is famour for being a power hitter or just fucking fast. The Red Sox? Not so much. :stuck_out_tongue:

So, remember Cala. Baseball comes down to, almost ALWAYS, pitching.As Hiryuu says, good pitching is usually much more valuable than good hitting. A good pitcher can rule on a good hitter. That’s why in the Astros Vs. Cards, it was a big hitting game. We only had 2 of our starters, and their pitching isn’t amazing to begin with. We fuckin’ TORE up their closer, Isringhausen. Likewise, the Cards tore up the Houston bullpen, cos it mostly sucks. :stuck_out_tongue: We’ve got Wheeler and Lidge, and the rest of them are just too random.

Anyways. There. :stuck_out_tongue: Now maybe you see why I thought the exact opposite of our end result was going to happen :stuck_out_tongue: