HOLY FUCKING SHIT! CHRONO TRIGGER DS!!!

This is just hearsay, but I remember reading somewhere that Masato Kato (co-scenario writer for Chrono Trigger and scenario writer for Chrono Cross) said, “I think I may have went too far when I made Chrono Cross…” I’d buy it.

oh really

I like how this thread has hit three pages, like, instantly, whereas the Megaman 9 thread has barely reached two pages now …

Chrono > Megaman

Too far? Man, the guy went to his 12 year old daughter or son and asked her/him to write a chrono trigger sequel fanfic, then passed it to his fucking team.

I’d rather have a CC remake than a CT remake /no1

Well I wouldn’t mind a CC remake either. They can remake it into a game that makes sense, doesn’t have a sucky combat system, and doesn’t spit on the story of its predecessor.

What we’re getting here though isn’t a remake, it’s a port of Chrono Trigger. With one or two additions, but a remake it isn’t.

FF4A = Port with additions
FF4DS = Remake

Blah, I wouldn’t mind a remake and a reworking of the script, just to see where they went with it.

And lets not get into those strange connections to that never-released-in-usa text based game Radical Dreamers that nobody seemed to play anyway (except Cidolfas, if I remember right).

When Radical Dreamers wasn’t released, a manager somewhere made a very good decision. It was slow, not really engaging and sometimes seemed like a labyrinth.

Swedish morning papers declare RPGs of the year? The only mention of an RPG I’ve seen here was WoW and that after it already had almost as many subscribers as the population of Greece.

Oh, my morning paper has one or two pages about video games each Sunday, although they have yet to rebuild their credibility in my eyes. Harumph!

Hey, putting Singing Mountain in would be enough reason for me to get it alone.

(I’ll get it anyway for sure, but still…)

There’s an extremely detailed story FAQ which tries to clear up the incredible complexities of CC. I believe it’s hosted on the CC shrine.

Originally Posted by Sohee
[i]
Quote:

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by SpoonyBard View Post
But it WOULD be nice if, in the bonus content, they used the two unused BGM tracks since they were pretty neat and, hey, they’re already made.

Hey, putting Singing Mountain in would be enough reason for me to get it alone.

(I’ll get it anyway for sure, but still…)[/i][/QUOTE]

It was there in the PSX version, but here’s hoping anyways.

Originally Posted by SpoonyBard
[i]What we’re getting here though isn’t a remake, it’s a port of Chrono Trigger. With one or two additions, but a remake it isn’t.

FF4A = Port with additions
FF4DS = Remake[/i]

Yeah… I’m probably going to hold on getting CTDS and wait for a real remake instead (but then again I did get FF VI advance so you’ll never know).

Aaannnddd I’ve lost my previous rant which has now pissed me off from here till I watch the next episode of Venture Bros. >:E

Anyways Chrono Cross. [SPOILER]It was fine until after Fort Courage (or whatever it was called), and not because the situation turned into a bad rip of Face Off, but because they never went anywhere with it (only Radius gives you trouble for being in the form of evil personified though everyone else only seemed to like you more). Not only that but you don’t even get to really confront your evil dopplerganger or your previous crew until after you regain your original form. And even then your crew simply returns to you like nothing ever happened (which, if I remember correctly, is exactly what happened).

On the other hand though there were things that this game did right by like…
The multiple paths one could take, both into the manor and whether you wanted to save Kid or not which influenced the story and whom you recruited (too bad that was it though).
Some of the story arcs like the Hydra Marshes and the resulting Blue Dragon’s Isle (at least if you chose to save Kid yourself rather than letting somebody else do it) were awesome.
Too bad these were too few and loaded in the first parts of the game.[/SPOILER]

Also I swear the game’s Main Battle Theme caused some permanent brain damage while I played this.

Edit: Btw Cid after taking your advice and reading that story FAQ I am reminded as to the amount of concentrated suck the whole S. S. Zebless segment was.

Just a tad ^^"

Jebus it wasnt that bad :thud: always with rage, eh?

Totally, more cutscenes explaining things would be nice, CC was a bit of a quiet game…

Of course it was a quiet game. You go through the game understanding nothing and then the director went “OH SHIT! We gotta release it!” and so they took little Chronos and Little Marles and they told you the whole thing and the whole problem is resolved. This is called Deus ex Machina and it is sloppiest form of story telling (or in the case of CC, lack thereof until that point). That bad? Go read some fanfics, then read a summary of what happens in CC.

One of my favorite activities in the whole world is to try and explain ChronO Cross to my sister, who never played the game. But i tell it in a way that makes her question if I’m making stuff up or not. Here’s my favorite one:

“Now, I know you’re gonna say that with a cast of 44, Chrono Cross didn’t do a good job characterizing most of them, but they did good some places! Like one of the most important plot lines of the game is about this one Rock star’s search for his family! And he eventually finds it! See, his Dad’s a PIRATE, and his mom was a mermaid! Oh, but she dies giving birth to his little sister he never knew about, who became one of the four generals of the army of El Nido before she’s even gone through puberty! He meets up with them, and his aunt, who’s another mermaid! And you can fight with them all, like one big happy family! Oh, and then you save his homeland with a song… but not the same song you beat the final boss with. because that’d just be stupid.”

Sin: I don’t think that’s quite Deus Ex Machina. That’s more referring to an actual plot device or character which comes out of nowhere and e.g. saves the hero or kills the bad guy. I would more characterize this as extremely bad pacing/exposition. It’s not like you’ve never seen those ghosts before, after all.

Q.E. FUCKING. D.

And yeah its probably not real Deus Ex Machina… There would be no final boss then.

Reading all this makes me GLAD I never got a hold of CC.

Well, at least none of those plot points are “… and then I woke up!”. Small mercies, eh?

Actually, you have one of those RIGHT at the beginning.

Countdown stopped.

http://www.chronotrigger.jp/