Hip Hop Discussion

I don’t like rap, but I like some kinds of dance music, especially the electronic stuff…

I like old hip-hop; the Bel Biv Devoe era. I like a small small amount of the hip-hop the last few years. I do like the Gorillaz though if they are considered hip-hop and I liked Outkast.

Da Back Wudz did a song called “You’re Gonna Love Me” a few years back. I always thought it was funny because one of the lines says “I only wear hats with As”, a reference to Atlanta hats, but in the video he has on a green Oakland Athletics hat :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, Three Six Mafia is probably my favorite rap group but right now I’m really vibin on Chamillionaire.

As far as release dates go, I know T.I.'s new album, King, comes out on March 28th. Young Jeezy’s new album also comes out sometime in March. Hopefully neither sucks.

Only live rap shows I’ve ever seen is Ludacris, Lil John, Crime Mobb, and the Youngbloodz. There was a really, really big rap show in Atlanta to raise money for the Katrina victims which had a very attractive lineup. Unfortunatly it was on the day of my initiation into my fraternity :x

Some recent releases in Mixtapes is Southern Smoke 24 and “Can’t Ban the Snowman” which is a Young Jeezy mixtape. I really wanna get those but i don’t have my own internet yet :x

I don’t mean to start an argument or anything, but what makes it ok for black people to use that word? I personally don’t think anyone should be using derrogatory terms such as that.

Nigga is different from nigger. It’s hard to explain.
If you actually take the time to say it right, then you’re probably meaning for it to insult someone, otherwise, it just seems to be okay to use.

My roommate pointed that out to me, no joke, yesterday! That is pretty funny. That’s also a pretty good song.

Does anyone know the release dates for either the new Busta or the new Clipse albums?

Well, let me put it this way. Ever go up to a white friend and call them honkey? Cracker? Its like a joke. It has no real meaning. When a black person says nigga to a black person, I think its the same thing. For them, its just a word when they use it like that. They have taken a term that was used to oppress them for so long and adopted it as their own. But it is theirs alone. If I were to say it, I’d get punched in the face, as well I should. I haven’t earned the right to use it.

If no one, including black people, ever said the N word, then when the inevitable racist prick does say it to a black person, it would have a lot more impact and be much more of a weapon for the racist. Using it all the time reduces its meaning.

This is the opinion I have developed growing up in a very diverse community.

I still don’t think its ok for a white dude to say “nigga.”

I didn’t say it was, I just am not phased when I hear it :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not phased either, but I’m not black.

I didn’t get a chance to listen to that stuff last night, Steve. I was running around doing stuff all night. I’m going to try to hijack my roommate’s computer tonight for a while. I can’t wait till I get my new laptop.

Speaking of the whole white/black thing, I’ve see a lot more white rappers recently. Look at Paul Wall. He’s huge now, and no one even makes a big deal about it. Not that they should, but remember when Eminem first got big. No one could shut up about him being white. There is even that Orthodox Jewish rapper Matis Yahu. The hip-hop community has definitely become more diverse since the late '90s.

If it’s offensive when one colour of people says it, but now when another does, can anyone tell me what that is?
Oh yeah, that’s racism.
Seriously, the idea that it’s okay to say nigga/er if you’re black but not otherwise is incredibly inane to me. If it’s offensive, it’s offensive, if it’s not, it’s not.

Say that to a black person, see what he tells you.

Matisyahu is the only rap I listen to.

The very little rap I’ve listened to I like, which is basically just Wu-Tang Clan (Enter The Wu and Wu-Forever), and a couple 50 Cent songs from The Massacre

Wu Tang is the greatest rap group of all time.

ODB RIP.