Help with networking

I have two comps, an old one running Win98 and a shiny new one running WinXP 2K prof

Problem is, the new one doesn’t have a modem yet shrugs

However, they are networking kinda well. I just have two problems.

1-) the old comp does not show in the networking area, even if I try accessing it from itself. So I can manipulate the new one via the old one, but can’t do anything on the old one via the new one. How do I solve it? I’m thinking of installing WinXP on the old one too, but I just can’t right now due to some installation CD’s that I miss (things like office, norton etc)

edit: they ping each other ok, but the new one won’t access the old one even if I try executing \(oldie’s ip)

2-) how do I make it so that the new one may access internet via the network? I’m trying a lot of random stuff with connections and nothing works. I gave ip’s to my comps and made the old one a proxy for the new one, but the new one’ll just say it’s not conected.

Originally posted by Ren
1-) the old comp does not show in the networking area, even if I try accessing it from itself. So I can manipulate the new one via the old one, but can’t do anything on the old one via the new one. How do I solve it? I’m thinking of installing WinXP on the old one too, but I just can’t right now due to some installation CD’s that I miss (things like office, norton etc)

Make sure you have the drives you want to access open to sharing.

-Open My Computer
-Right click on the desired drive you want to be able to access from the other computer on the network (this should be all of them)
-I’ve got XP and I don’t remember the exact location, but sort through all the tabs and you should find an option for “Share Drive”. Check it.

If that is put together, you may have the network connected wrong. Make sure all the computers are showing up on the router.

2-) how do I make it so that the new one may access internet via the network? I’m trying a lot of random stuff with connections and nothing works. I gave ip’s to my comps and made the old one a proxy for the new one, but the new one’ll just say it’s not conected.

This sounds like one of two things, a connection problem, or a…well, connection Problem. It’s either an issue with your internet, or you haven’t connected things right. Make sure you have the MODEM connected to your router via a network cable, and that you have your computers plugged into your router. I’d also like to add that by using a router, both computers can feed off of one router.

There are no sharing options anywhere but in the control panel in my old computer, and it’s only about general sharing :too bad;

Also, my internet access is via an old 56K modem, it’s not cable… Which makes things harder for me :too bad;

Hm, you know I’m having about the same problems with my wifi network…my USB adapter is connecting to the router A-OK, but cannot find the cable modem…I keep thinking it must be the IP addy but it’s in frikkin DHCP mode so it SHOULD be working. :too bad;

Win 98 does not have ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), only Win 98 SE has that feature.

As for the invisible computer, try right clicking on the Network Neighbourhood icon and selecting Properites (The network option control panel). From there, click on the File and Print Sharing button and select all the inside options. Make sure your Primary Network Logon is set to Client for Microsoft Networks as well. Its not a connection problem if they can ping each other :stuck_out_tongue:

If you dont have broadband, there really is no point in networking.

Originally posted by Shalcar
As for the invisible computer, try right clicking on the Network Neighbourhood icon and selecting Properites (The network option control panel). From there, click on the File and Print Sharing button and select all the inside options. Make sure your Primary Network Logon is set to Client for Microsoft Networks as well. Its not a connection problem if they can ping each other :stuck_out_tongue:

Done those. didn’t work.

Sorc: you’re right. I’m going to put a modem in it.

Make sure the PCs are on the same workgroups, otherwise, dunno.

Oh, and shared modem? No idea how to do it on a Win box, I could do it on a Lin box though…

Originally posted by Shalcar
[b]Win 98 does not have ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), only Win 98 SE has that feature.

As for the invisible computer, try right clicking on the Network Neighbourhood icon and selecting Properites (The network option control panel). From there, click on the File and Print Sharing button and select all the inside options. Make sure your Primary Network Logon is set to Client for Microsoft Networks as well. Its not a connection problem if they can ping each other :stuck_out_tongue: [/b]

But shouldn’t it be able to work if I have a Router installed on the PC w/ Win 98? Or should I install SE on that one?:too bad;