Help Me

MY home computer won’t turn on. It’s getting power because the fan speakers monitor and keyboard and motherboard lights go on but the computers power button doesn’t do anything. And the lights go on when I flick the button at the back on which is strange because the computer normally has to be turned on for it to work.

Did you try taking off the cover and seeing if the button is aligned with the switch thingee?

Maybe it is the monitor (the screen.) The PC turns on but you can’t see anything. Happened to me once. Did you check it? See if any wires were loose, etc?

Or, maybe it’s the actual turn-on button that’s malfunctioning. Something like that happened to my sister’s PC.

Worst case scenario, something inside (like a circuit board) got fried. Sadly, that happened to my sis too.

Honestly, I can’t think of much to suggest other than have it checked. Remember, always ASK first for a check-up, and to be told what’s wrong and how much it costs to fix, THEN have it fixed. My sis took hers to the shop and just told them to fix it. They did… and it broke again in a week.

Having it checked is a waste of money. It’s like $300 for a check up. Fuck that.

To be honest, I don’t really know what happened, you haven’t given enough information, but I really don’t know what to ask you to get more information.

Does a message come on saying something like “Input error”? A little multi color message on your monitor when you turn it on? If not, then it’s probably a monitor problem.

Well. I’m thinking the original problem was something to do with the power box because the power box got fried after I tried turning it on again. I’ll try a new power box then get a checkup if it doesn’t start working.

Originally posted by Videospirit
MY home computer won’t turn on. It’s getting power because the fan speakers monitor and keyboard and motherboard lights go on but the computers power button doesn’t do anything. And the lights go on when I flick the button at the back on which is strange because the computer normally has to be turned on for it to work.
Sounds like your computer is broken.

You should probably fix it, if you want it to work again.

You need more RAM. And the latest version of Windows. Your cup-holder probably needs replacing too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nuh uh. I can’t replace the cup holder cause I ain’t gotr one and aren’t a stupid person who drinks near their computer. 256mb of ram is fine and I could use an upgrade from win98 to win98se but not touching xp or me or something else. But seriously this doesn’t matter because without power it doesn’t do anything.

I don’t think he literally meant cup holder :stuck_out_tongue:

He was either referring to you title or you CD-rom (a.k.a. “cup holder” :P)

A cupholder is usually jargon for CD-ROM drive and all the variants of it.

Oh. well. It’s a 36x and the burner is a 36x 24x 36x but doesn’t wanna work. So I dunno if it needs replacing.

Yeah, the cup holder comment was proably due to a mistake some people who have never touched a computer make: they place their cup of coffee on thier open CD-ROM drive. These are the same people who, when the computer screen reads “Comuter cannot find/see printer” turn the monitor to face the printer. Yes, they people exist.

As for your problem. It’s going to have nothing to do with RAM or OS (operating system). If your power box is fried, then you already have the answer. Otherwise it sounds like it might be the monitor.

Hm… I never thought of that… Now I know where to put my cup when I drink near the computer… I was tired of placing it on top of the monitor.

VS, theres probably been an error with you hard disk.

If the computer powers on, the power supply is good, and if the keyboard lights go on, the motherboard is (most likely) good.

Does your monitor display anything at all? Does it display your bios and then shut off?

MMkay. THe power box is now fried. but before that happened I shut the computer down but it didn’t turn off right because the keyboard motherboard and fan were all running as if the computer was on so I flicked the power switch at the back off after an hour of this and when I turned it back on it was doing the same thing only the fan had stopped and the system wouldn’t load up anymore. My monitor is perfectly fine. And after I tried flicking the power button at the back off and then unplugged and replugged the power box completely fried and not even the keyboard displays light now.

You may want to just buy a new one…

You can make some money by gutting the machine and selling the parts you know work on ebay.

And add the RAM to the new computer.