Hats off to Nintendo for this

http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/26/news/companies/bc.apfn.amazon.com.holiday.ap/index.htm?postversion=2007122607

Holy SHIT.

I found this appropriate in keeping with the theme of Nintendo selling mass amounts of consoles every X seconds.

If I’m not wrong, DS has sold about as much as Wii, PS3, 360 and PSP all combined.

The DS has also been out much longer. Not that that isn’t very impressive, given how much the three systems have sold.

There was a brief moment in time last summer when Nintendo (a company 100% about videogames) had a higher stock price than all of Sony (a company dedicated 1% to videogames and has a hand in every other piece of electronics). I found that amusing, it really shouldn’t have happened but it did.

Nintendo’s income is supposed to be 2nd in Japan, under Toyota. Something like 50 billion dollars.

Nintendo OG /westside

Don’t they still run the gambling paraphernalia business they were founded on?
No idea how much that counts into their sales, though.
(in Japan, I believe they’re still 100% video games elsewhere)

There was a brief moment in time last summer when Nintendo (a company 100% about videogames) had a higher stock price than all of Sony (a company dedicated 1% to videogames and has a hand in every other piece of electronics).

Nintendo’s income is supposed to be 2nd in Japan, under Toyota. Something like 50 billion dollars.

I just want to put some numbers on the board regarding Nintendo vs. Sony financial situation.
On June 26, 2007 for the first time in the companies’ history Nintendo has surpassed Sony in market capitalization.
Market cap is equal to the share price times the number of outstanding shares, and it represents the public opinion of a company’s worth.
In the past two years Nintendo shares surged by almost 500% – now it’s market cap is about $83 billion (as of Dec.28) vs. Sony’s $54 billion. A few weeks ago Nintendo became the second largest company in Japan in terms of market capitalization after Toyota, surpassing Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc.
Interestingly enough, Sony’s group annual sales for the fiscal year that ended in March, at $71 billion, were about nine times larger than Nintendo’s $7.8 billion, and its income before taxes, at $3.39 billion is about 1.5 times bigger than Nintendo’s.
The discrepancy between investors’ perceptions of Nintendo and Sony could be attributed to the fact that Nintendo’s revenues and net income increase at a much faster rate than Sony’s.