Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving

Since there’s no topic for it yet, just a shout-out to the other Canucks on the board to have a happy Turkey-day.

Mine was turkey-less, but I did make a beef roast, plus there’s pumpkin pie in the fridge so it’s all good.

Why do the Canadians have a Thanksgiving, and why is it in October? Did they just decide to copy the Americans for the hell of it, or did they really have their own little meeting with the Indians way back?

Hell, I have no idea. So I’ll let Wikipedia explain it:

The history of Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Orient. In the year 1578, he held a formal ceremony, in what is now the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, to give thanks for surviving the long journey. This feast is considered by many to be the first Thanksgiving celebration in North America, although celebrating the harvest and giving thanks for a successful bounty of crops had been a long-standing tradition throughout North America by various First Nations and Native American groups. First Nations and Native Americans throughout the Americas, including the Pueblo, Cherokee, Cree and many others organized harvest festivals, ceremonial dances, and other celebrations of thanks for centuries before the arrival of Europeans in North America [3]. Frobisher was later knighted and had an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean in northern Canada named after him — Frobisher Bay.

There you have it. :cool:

The article explains things a bit more, so read it if you’re genuinely curious.

Why do the Canadians have a Thanksgiving, and why is it in October? Did they just decide to copy the Americans for the hell of it, or did they really have their own little meeting with the Indians way back?
Why is it that every American thinks everything similar that ever takes place in Canada is somehow derivative of their country?

Hate to break it to you, but we’re not some retarded monkey see monkey do nation, and our thanksgiving traditions go way further back than the weak history you manufactured for yours. According to wiki, ours is based on the Harvest Festival celebrated by some countries in Europe, which is loosely based on Sukkot. Ironically, America is the “me too!” country here.

:slight_smile:

Heheh, yes, America is that guy that gained too much power and now thinks all else below it. :smiley:

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Canadians.

Silly Canadians…Thanksgiving is next month.:hahaha;

Of course, you could avoid this silly little debate by just having thanksgiving TWICE.

I made up for it by having a turkey dinner last weekend and this weekend. Turkey is good.

You all should be thankful to be the USA’s top hat.

Heh, that’s pretty funny that it may have been based on Sukkot. That starts tonight, and requires a hell of a lot more work than just a turkey. -_-

…Which, FYI, I’ve never had. To me Thanksgiving holds exactly as much cultural value as Simcoe Day, i.e. a day off of work for no visible reason.