Hanukkah: Five Misconceptions

About stuff, we had several assemblies per year to celebrate shit. I remember (since it’s the most spoken word of that day) “daiyanu”, or something was said a shit load of times on one of the holidays.

Yes, it’s one of the songs at the Passover Seder. It means “it would be enough for us” and proceeds to enumerate all the miracles that happened during Exodus, saying that each one would have been enough to cause us to praise God.

I asked one out once!
Her name was Fujiye, and I think me pointing out that it was a dude’s name ruined my chances of that ever working out, but that’s not the point.

Even I know this! :o My classmates sing it all the time. o.o;; I dunno, everyone I know seems to know it. I like <3

I know a bunch of jewish people, and have gone out with a few jewish girls. I’ve been to several passover dinners. The jewish faith is certainly an interesting thing.

Christmahanukwanzikah anyone?

well i think that it’s not so much Christians as the fact that the holiday is celebrated by the majority of America, so they all start celebrating early. myself, i don’t actually celebrate until the day of. besides, christmas carols annoy the crap out of me. as for all the trappings of the season…well, some people just luike their lights and egg nog.

Yes.
But when someone mentions Jewish holydays, the first thing that comes to mind is delicious food. French, Italian or Chinese cuisines are fine, but Jewish cookery is the epithomy of culinary arts.
Bagels, gefilte fish, potato latkes, humentash and the list goes on. And chicken soup made by a Jewish mother could do wonders to your body and mind if you are feeling down :wink:

You celebrate African-American heritage. It’s mainly a holiday to inspire pride and confidence in the black heritage. It centers around seven principles. They range from spurring blacks onward to prosperity in business by working together (Ujamaa), to inspiring blacks to be creative (Kuumba) and responsible in their endeavor to make a vibrant community, to remembering the struggles that our ancestors have gone though to get us where we are today (Imani). A big point in the holiday, it seems to me at least, is the provoking a sense of unity amongst all African-Americans (Umoja). That in order to survive, we have to work together.

Also, I can’t say you’re misspelling it, but I could say that your spelling it correctly…semi-unintentionally. Okay, that doesn’t make much sense. Point of the matter is, it’s spelled Kwanza in the native African language it came from, but in any other instance, it’s spelled Kwanzaa, to indicate the difference between the African and American celebration, or meaning. It means “first fruits of the harvest.”

I’m rather black-centric you might say, that’s why I know all this. That, and because we had to make a Holiday Greeting Card in my Webmastering class. Well, what do you know, I’m the only guy who makes a Kwanzaa card. My teacher seemed to think it was a religious holiday. But, in all actuality, I got all my real knowledge from here. so I can’t say that I just remembered all this stuff.