Greek Fire

We are playing 2nd edition.

Can anyone tell me the damage caused by Greek Fire when used to attack the enemy.

Greek Fire is just a molotov cocktail, right? The fire aspect is easy; you should be able to apply the damage rate of Alchemist’s fire and suchlike. Wether or not the Greek Fire actually explodes is another thing. Then you can just adjudicate.

D&D damage seems to work on a relative basis. Think: a short sword does 1d6 damage, meaning that someone of average strength could kill the average commoner (10 or 11 con = 6 hp for non-combat classes).

Would your Greek Fire be able to kill a random dude on impact? If so, set the concussion damage to something that adds up to 6. 2d3 (if you’ve got the luxury of having them, or just dividing a d6 into two point ranges) is more reliable damage than 1d6, and 3d2 is better still. If you think taking a direct hit from Greek Fire should be able to kill the average level 1 fighter, make it 1d8, 2d4, 1d6 + 1d2, or 4d2 as suits your purposes.

You’ll find that you can measure the killing power of a weapon in D&D in classes per stroke, be they peasants per stroke, fighters per stroke, etc.

For example, a Short Sword does 1d6, or one peasant/stroke. A Longsword does 1d8, or one fighter/stroke. A Battle Axe does 1d12, or one barbarian/stroke.

Sorta makes 2d6 for handguns in D20 Modern seem less wimpy, huh?

[EDIT] Okay, after some quick research, I don’t see any reference to Greek Fire exploding on contact, but the lore has it that water alone could not extinguish the flames. It could be smothered with sand (and by inference full immersion in water) or perhaps urine. The stuff was basically napalm, and burned even on water, much like petroleum. It was commonly deliverd either by catapults (I’d go with a Manganelle with cup rig, which could be better fireproofed than a sling on a Trebuchet) or by expelling it with a pump out of a bronze tube. It is supposed to ignite on impact. Pretty devestating, especially with ships.[/EDIT]