Good books?

I need a good book to read. Any suggestions?

Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel. It’s a really neat story about a war between bats and owls. Bats are outcasts because they refused to take sides in a grand war years ago, and now they are cast out and unable to glimpse at the sun without fierce retribution by the owls. The protagonist is Shade Silverwing, a young, somewhat weak, but spirited bat that defies the laws, and loses his home because of it.

Don’t dismiss it as a kids book; it’s hardly a kids book. The story is deep and involving, and a very good read.

Guards! Guards! - Terry Pratchett
Jingo - Terry Pratchett
Night Watch - Terry Pratchett
… you get the idea.

Some funny, fantasy based books. What genre are you interested in?

Originally posted by Gilgamesh
What genre are you interested in?

Fantasy, Horror, fiction and non-fiction.

Ordinary People - Judith Guest
The Handmaid’s Tale - M. Atwood
The Fall - Albert Camus
The Stranger - Albert Camus
The Myth of Sisyphus - Albert Camus
Notes from the Underground - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Foucault’s Pendulum - Umberto Eco

And here I just went though my bookshelf and pulled down some of my favorites… and then I find out you like fantasy… okay, fantasy and Sci Fi-- Mercedes Lackey is a good writer… Most of her Harald Mage and her Swordsworn series… Terry Brooks is good… Pratchett, obviously… yeah…

The Body of Christopher Creed.

It’s a mix of angst, horror, suspense and supernatural. it’s about this guy named Chris (surprise!) who goes “missing” in a small town where everything seems to be perfect. A guy named Torey (the narrator) becomes obsessed with finding out what happened to Chris and unexpectedly gets himself involved and he and two other friends get the blame and Torey finds out what it’s like to be on the other side of the stereo type and gets ditched by people he thought he trusted, etc. Though through it all when he believes he discovers the truth to Chris’ disappearance is actually the truth to a similar incident that happened 30 years earlier.

There’s more to it than that. And it’s really teenager influenced. If anyone actually bothers to read it, the end will give you serious goosebumps. I gaurantee it.

Hmmm… Lesse;

Fantasy:

Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth
Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time
JRR Tolkien - Lord of The Rings
Terry Pratchett - Discworld
J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter (If you’re really desperate =P)

Sci-Fi:

Dick Harrison - Stainless Steelrat
Orson Scott Card - The Ender Saga (Starting with Ender’s Game)
Orson Scott Card - The Shadow Saga (Spinoff of the above saga, starting with Ender’s Shadow)
Tad Williams - Otherland
Isaac Asimov - The Foundation

That should get you going for a while. =)

Originally posted by Crotanks
Fantasy, Horror, fiction and non-fiction.

Try Steven King’s Dark Tower series. Dark fantasy (with a little western mixed in)- its pretty damned good. The first book is “The Gunslinger.”

Originally posted by Cybercompost
Try Steven King’s Dark Tower series. Dark fantasy (with a little western mixed in)- its pretty damned good. The first book is “The Gunslinger.”

One of my favorite series, along with Discworld and Wheel of Time. Oh and “Magician” by Raymond Feist.

“One Hundred Years of Solitude,” by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

I’m afarid I’ll have to be repetitive and say Terry Pratchett again, but it should hint that there’s a good reason everyone recommends him so highly :wink: my personal favourites are the Death books (as in the character of Death, not as in the act/art of dying)- Mort in partiuclar, but also Reaper Man, Soul Music and Hogfather

And if you feel like something educational, try “The Science of Discworld” :ah-ha!:

Dune, by Frank Herbert. :cool:

Anything by Phillip K Dick (Many of his stories have been made into movies - Blade Runner, Total Recall and Minority Report come to mind)

Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy “Trilogy”

Dragonlance Chronicals or Legends Trilogies

Napalm and Silly Puddy by George Carlin

Anything by William Gibson (Neruomancer is excellent)

Anything by Neal Stephenson (Snow Crash is excellent)

I highly reccomend the Shadowrun and Magic: The Gathering books.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman…or anything else by Neil Gaiman, for that matter.

Originally posted by Opera Man
Dune, by Frank Herbert. :cool:

About Silverwing mentioned earlier, they made an animate series 'bout it. Saw some of it. Not too bad. Never readed the book though.

I would like to reccomend a couple of Norwegian books, but I doubt you can read Norwegian.

Master of the World, by Jules Verne.
Soul Magic, Terry Pratchett.

And a couple of more books by those two authors, they’re both great.

The Runelords Series, by David Farland.
“The Sum of All Men”
“Brotherhood of the Wolf” (Not the same as the French one)
“Wizardborn”
And the not-yet realeased “The Lair of Bones”