Game question: Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne

Several people have reccomended this game to me, so the other day I decided to do some price-checking.

I punched it into Amazon. At Amazon, it was going for prices ranging from 150 to 200 dollars. Da fug?

I checked eBay later, and the prices were a bit saner - 50-60 - but still a bit more than I’m willing to spend on a preowned game.

That said, does anyone here know any fathomable reason why it would be so pricey? Is it a really rare game or somesuch?

It’s pretty damn rare in America. They got totally shafted distribution-wise, and it’s Atlus. Over here in ze EU, it’s quite a bit more common. If you can play imports, you might want to grab a copy from over here, though it’s called Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer’s Call.

It’s 60 euros new here, so I don’t know if you’d actually save money that way.

Is there a simple way to find out if my PS2 will play imports, or is it a given that it would have to be modded or something?

Google for swapmagic. It’ll run ~$30 but you will then be able to play imports and games on dvd-r. Be careful with games from Europe though, since they often won’t work on American tvs.

http://www.swapmagic3.com

Else you can just get it modded. Personally, I’d go with the modding, as constantly swapping discs around is a huge bitch to do.

Both options have their risks. Swapdisks on a fat ps2 run the risk of killing the drive motor if you get too rough with it, while there’s always the risk of getting a crappy (or worse yet: fake) mod chip if you aren’t careful.

There is a reason why it is so pricey,and that is Atlus almost all of atlus games never drop their price in America since they come out in limited stock at least that is what I believe.

I just ended up importing a NTSC PS2 >_>

Granted, I got it for FREE, but yeah.