Gainax hits new low in Eva merchandising. Creepy otaku everywhere cheer.

Basara, the only mine is the hole you dug yourself in.

Oh man, you should change your name to zingistral!

The only think gundam and eva have in common is big robots and teenagers.

You forgot angst

And am I as dumb as Quina?

Basara, you should be studied, not compared.

Oedipus complex.

Also you’re all giant nerds, reading this thread gave me an uncontrollable urge to hit you all and take your lunch money.

Comparing you to Quina would be like comparing apples to… apples. Yes. You defeated your own arguments.

How should I be studied?

And I’m more of a fuck job than a nerd. Not fuck job in a shinji way, but more like in some other way

:hahaha;

Chuh for the zing, yet again! :smiley:

For the oedipus complex thing, I salute CH.

I hate when people say this after unphasing insults. Zing is losing it’s meaning if what CH said was a zing. Calling CH’s comment a zing is like calling a papercut mutilation.

I’ll have to agree with Hades here, that wasn’t nearly witty enough to be a Zing.

That’s the whole point.

Still, Eva fans are ignorant. They say crap like “Oh Gundam is just about robots so that makes Eva better.” Not only that, but they’re typical otaku idiots that say crap like “This anime movie sucks because it crams the whole plot into two hours” or “This show gets so amazing when you get to episode 13”. They also do crap like upload a review to animenfo before they’ve even seen the whole series, usually leading to inflated average scores

The Gundam fans I met saw gundam in 1979 and know it’s way better than most anime, including Evangelion. They’re right, and they’re the kind of people that know what they’re talking about

Words fail me.

What’s that, you’re all having an argument over opinions as though they were facts? You can’t say one show is ‘better’ than another. Because it is a difference of opinion. There are people who think Gundam is better, for whatever reason, and people who think Eva is better, for whatever reason. Neither group is wrong. Arguing about it won’t really get you anywhere. Personally, I’ve always preferred some Gundam series to Eva. I don’t know why, I could just never get that in to Eva, and it never struck me as much. Then again, other Gundam series seem really rushed, or really repetitive to me.
EDIT: Oh, and Kaiser, you really are digging yourself in a whole, as much of a dickwaving contest as opinion arguments are, you’re losing one. People being older and seeing something when it came out does not make them know which is better more. Also, squeezing the enitre plot of a manga into hours for a movie really doesn’t work well. It can still be a great movie, but it’ll really be lacking a lot of stuff. Akira being case in point. Now, Kaiser, just realize that you do not agree with these people, and stop trying to prove their opinions factually true, because you’re getting damned close to it.

Now, for my belated points on the things people’ve said:
Hades: I think the way they made war philosophical then ended it in a bloodbath was kind of the anti-war point. No matter how noble or whatever your cause for war is, it’ll still just be a bloodbath. Take Char’s Counterrack, for example, where two of the most talented, promising, one of them (Char) very intelligent, people in the entire series choose to die by incinerating themselves in the atmosphere because they cannot let a decades old battle go.
Also, I think the fact that 08th MS Team and War in the Pocket had ‘War is hell’ messages is basically undeniable, what with the entire series of 08th being focussed on that very concept, and War in the Pocket ending with the girl pilot killing the guy she had just apparently fallen in love with. I don’t think I would call her reaction to that, or that event in general, glorifying war.
Finally, in Endless Waltz, in the final battle, everyone but Heero was not killing pilots. Hence, when the Gundam team ran out of ammunition/energy, and there were still a lot of MS left, they were going to move far away to self destruct, so they didn’t even kill anyone if their Gundams exploded.
SE, on the same subject: Heero burninated the whole colony. Quatre was the gundam pilot who was actually a pacifist, somehow. Yeah, I noticed the gundam thing too, even when I was ten or eleven when I watched Wing a lot.
Horny Teenager Thing: All of us teenagers are obviously horny in every situation, duh!

Yeah I already know the whole “To EAch His Own” and all that junk. Still, I just get pissed of at Eva fans

You mean you were ten when gundam wing was aroiund? Wow, you’re young. It kinda pissed me off I was the only kid in my high school who watched that. And a bunch of these dumb kids would come in from soccer and watch the gundams fight and not really pay attention to the storyline. Those kids were totally dumb

But you’re pretty smart. You seem to have absorbed a lot out of gundam and are pretty mature

Gundam’s a bloodbath? I never really noticed much violenece in that show. Yeah there were a lot of explosions and everything, but…The closest thing to a bloodbath is the whole colony drop thing

Quatre was the first one to pilot the Wing Zero and the one who skewered the colony with the beam cannon. And even after that, he still plays the part of the pacifist. The irony that Hades mentioned and that you yourself have just unconsciously noted by “was actually a pacifist, somehow” is that the kid spends a half of his screen time praying for peace even though he spends the other half slicing people in half with the Sandrock. You can’t be a front-line soldier AND a peacemaker.

You make good points about the “war only leads to bloodbaths” message but I’ll stay out of that since Wing is the only Gundam series I ever saw. This message is not so clear on Wing however, mostly thanks to the fact that the only way to really stop the ultimate bloodbath (Libra slamming into the Earth) was eventually a smaller bloodbath, Relena’s peace talks never actually being any good for stopping anything and above all, Treize Kushrenada, the man who basically deserts his allies and starts his own conflict because he thought that using Mobile Dolls for war was wrong, since having humans sacrificing their lives for a given purpose was a glorious and much more honorable thing to do. And the way he dies at the end makes him looks like a knightly brave man instead of the warmonger he actually was.

The ‘somehow’ was meant sarcastically, I noticed that, too. That was the whole point I was trying to make, that Gundam is all about ‘Noble Cause’ getting fucked up. So unless Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness glorifies War/imperialism, I wouldn’t really say Gundam does, either.

I think Wing was trying to make the point that once war starts, it can’t stop without a bloodbath, but I don’t really know about Wing either. In my opinion, it’s the weakest of the gundams (except that one that I cant’ ever even remember the name of that was just Awful), in terms of storyline, since it’s just a reqrie of the original Gundam with some of the cooler ideas taken out. So I didn’t watch it enough to really pay much attention to whether it was pro- or anti-war. I do think though that Treize, as a villain, is kind of put in their as a devil’s advocate kind of thing, and is often shown to be wrong. As for the Relena thing, that is a good point, she NEVER does anything constructive with peace talks. I don’t know if that was supposed to say trying to stop war doesn’t work, it has to happen, pacifists are stupid, or if it was a character thing of everyone around her is too unreasonable to listen. Or if it was just because she would win, otherwise the series would just kind of end, or turn into a romance kind of thing where we see what happens with the peaceful lives of all the characters.
Endless Waltz, though, is undeniable and strongly anti-war, and also better than the rest of Wing.

Oh, and are you sure Quatre did that. I haven’t watched the series in some time, probably two or three years, but that seems like something I’d remember. MAybe not though. Did it occur in the series, or just get referred to?