Firefox doesn't load; strange problem

Alright, here’s the deal. Mozilla Firefox was working fine until about a week ago. I turned the computer on, launched the program, and waited for it to load. And waited. And waited. Then I saw that it had actually STOPPED loading the page a long time before, and was stuck at a big white box of emptiness.

I tried to refresh. Same problem. I tried to open another page. Same problem. I tried to use another tab. Same problem.

I looked on the Mozilla website, but found nothing. I searched Google and found nothing. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, but it keeps happening. I tried to use System Restore. Didn’t work. I did a complete Spyware, Adware and virus scan. I found some Spyware, but overall the computer was clean, and it still didn’t work.

I know I’m missing something stupidly simple here. Right now, I’m stuck using IE5, something I absolutely hate. If any help can be offered, ANY, I would be most appreciative!

(I apologize if this seems rather aggressive; I’m just kind of fed up with life at the moment, and this isn’t helping.)

I’d recommend posting on the mozillazine forums. They’d know a lot more about this stuff than we would.

IE5? So you’re on a Win98/ME/2000 Machine?

You could try using Safari. Apple took Firefox and modified it for their own means.

Or you could go back to Mozilla (The new Version, SeaMonkey)).

However, you should also check add/remove programs and remove and evil Toolbars mentioned there. (The Evil part is invisible/silent but you should see the toolbar part clearly).

Also in Firefox, try going to Tools > Addons > Extentions. Clear out any garbage in there. Often reinstalling Firefox will not affect the addons from various internet trolls/companies.

If all this, especially the last step, doesn’t work for you than definitely follow Cid’s suggestion.

So what page is it trying to load? Is it stuck on about:blank? Does it have the spinny “loading page” icon in the tab?

It’s called a throbber.