Final Fantasy Tactics: How do you make Cloud useful?

I already got him up to level 68, gave him the Materia Blade, all his limits and the Short Charge ability but he still gets turned into cannon fodder or Ramza, Cid and Agrias finish everyone else off before he can even move.

Is there any good strategy to get the best out of him or something?

Not really…equip him with the Sprint Shoes or something to make him go faster…Cloud, after a time I realized wasn’t even worth the struggle.

I don’t know FFT, but I think you can use the universal strategy for certain victory in videogame RPG’s: go leveling some more before you take this fight :smiley:

Ninja helps a lot with charge time, but make sure you have equip sword for it to work. The best way to make him useful is Aim: Legs or Stop. Freeze them, then use Cherry Blossom or whatever, but under normal circumstances, most of Cloud’s Limits are never ever to be used.

I didn’t find him too useful since at that point, my normal team was pretty fast (Everyone was a ninja with whatever skill. Go Calc ninjas! :P). If you want actually put him to use, it’d be a good idea to take out Orlandu, seeing how he makes EVERYONE obsolete :stuck_out_tongue:

Make him into a monk and never touch the limit skillset again. The big ticket items never go off and they all require high MA to do real damage. Cloud’s just not much use at all. Except for on one of my files where the game glitched out and gave him fifty speed, which makes it take that much longer to get his limits off as far as # of turns go.

From what I’ve read the first thing your supposed to do with cloud is make him a time mage for haste stop and such, haste to speed all his crap up and stop to make sure they hit. I’ve never done it but it seems to be a good idea.

He never seemed to be good enough for my main party anyway… Orlandu kills most everything, and whatever he doesnt kill Ramza with 2 really powerful swords will.

My tactics disk is in 3 pieces now anyway… so I can’t really test any of the cloud stuff. :too bad;

Overall: Stick to Beowulf.

Thanks anyway.

Cloud does have some potential as a party member. Some of his techniques are not bad (Finishing Touch, Cherry Blossom, Omnislash; sometimes Climhazzard and Blade Beam). If your party is taking care of everyone before Cloud’s turn, then, it’s apparent that he doesn’t necessarily need to be useful. Try equipping him with a Thief Hat, Secret Clothes and Sprint Shoes. Not much else you can do.

If Cloud could use his Limit Break abilities without the Materia Blade he starts with, things would be better. But he can’t, and the Materia Blade isn’t exactly what I’d call a sword you want to use.

You could always change him to a Knight and give him the Excalibur. 8)

Yes I read the “How to get Cloud” part of the FFT Shrine, but, I never found him at Zarghidas Trade City getting mugged, and I did everything like the walkthrough said. Except for one thing, I went to Goug, and found the Ball/Orb that requires a Zodiac Stone before I bought the flower, but I figured that wouldn’t matter, since everything played out, except getting Cloud.

Yes, I followed the directions, I just didn’t read them until after I found the Orb (that becomes worker 8). And yes, Mustadio was alive during the course of the events that take place while getting Cloud.

Sorry if this doesn’t belong here, but it’s the closest thing I found to a post on “What went wrong in getting Cloud?”, thanx for any help that you can offer.

You did all the stuff involving Reis, too?

yeah I did all of that, then returned to Zarghidas, and nothing happened. I decided to continue the game lastnight, and beat Elmdor, and went back to Igros, awhile a go, I went back to Zarghidas, and the Video Sequence played out… I thought maybe you’d have to go to a few towns first, but Goug to Zarghidas is quite a ways on it’s own, without the added beating Elmdor, going to Igros, then back to Zarghidas. Oh well, at least it worked.:moogle:

I figured I’d use this same thread to ask about a couple other things that I can never get to work.

1st: Angel Rings, They say Always:Reraise? How come it never revives my characters?

2nd: I’m not sure of the abillity’s name, but it allows others to gain the HP that you’d recieve, if your at max. I tried using both Items, and abilities to gain Hp while I had Max HP, and others didn’t,… nothing happened. I even tried using someone to throw a stone for say 10 damage, and then using a potion, to give t he additional 20 HP to damaged characters… Still didn’t work.

Does anyone know how to make these things work, or how they work. I might have the wrong idea of what they’re supposed to do?

Originally posted by Elmdor
[b]I figured I’d use this same thread to ask about a couple other things that I can never get to work.

1st: Angel Rings, They say Always:Reraise? How come it never revives my characters?

2nd: I’m not sure of the abillity’s name, but it allows others to gain the HP that you’d recieve, if your at max.
[/b]

Im not sure on the angel ring thing, but the ability in question is distribute, a calculator ability, its also not a definate ability, just as auto potion doesnt always work.

Thanks, I should have known that. But if a ring says “Always:Reraise” doesn’t that mean it always revives you? That’s what I thought it ment.

Originally posted by luke skywalker
Im not sure on the angel ring thing,

I told you i dont know, it should work though, whys its not is beond me.

While I will spare you the exact details of where I have Cloud, I can provide some pointers. First, you should max out the Limit abilities first. While the cast times are incredibly long on most, some, like Final Touch, are actually reasonably short. For the rest, we’re going to fix that up later.

Equip Swords from the Knight tree is also a must, so that Cloud can utilize his Materia Sword in his eventual main class, Time Mage.

Finally, before moving to Time Mage, purchase gear focused on building Clouds Magic Attack stat, as this will, as hinted by other posters, directly effect his Limit abilities.

After all this is done, move him to Time Mage with the Limit skills in the secondary slot and Equip Swords. Equip his Materia Blade, or he in story terms is a high functioning schizophrenic with no access to his skill set. Your first skill should be Immobilize. Cloud’s Limit skills can be very powerful, but they have a draw back. They cannot target units, but instead target Tiles. This means that you’ll need to be able to Immobilize an enemy before using most of these skills. That said, I believe they are worth it with the right build.

Once you have Immobilize, Haste and Slow are also good early picks, to speed Cloud up and Slow his enemies, so that they will not get as many turns to burn off their Immobilize while he channels up pain. After this, the magic word is Teleport. It allows Cloud to attempt to move to any tile from any tile, but on long moves, it can fail. This is vital because of how I use Cloud, in a divide and conquer strategy. He needs to be mobile so that he can reach a straggler easily. Try not to move too far on one teleport, though, because the chance of failure on really long moves is high. Teleport also ignores terrain, height, and even if there is a valid path that Cloud could have taken to reach his destination, based on blocking from enemies, etc.

Once you have these, you can keep building out the Time Mage tree to give Cloud more utility, but the main issue with him is how he is used. Look for a straggling enemy that is separated from the group, then move him near that enemy, and stack on Immobilize, Slow, maybe even Stop. Your main force can deal with the other enemies, and Cloud can focus on launching something terrible at his enemy from a safe stand off range. Even if that fails, he can use these Time Mage skills to tie up small groups of enemies.

Generally, Finial Touch is the skill that does the best effect for the least time. It either Dooms or KOs the target with a high degree of success, and may happen in one turn. The high end skills take several turns during which Cloud must wait his turn out, although he can move once the skill is targeted. Cherry Blossom is generally a one shot kill though that can hit multiple targets. If he’s wounded, Blade Beam is a quicker skill that deals damage based on how much damage Cloud has taken, and it can produce a nice effect. There are obviously other good skills with the same slow cast time issues, but it generally works pretty well to use him to encounter, tie up, and demolish smallish groups while the main force can handle the other enemies.

Eventually, you can get Meteor for Cloud, which can act as yet another high end attack.

He’s not useless, but he’s also not a front line combatant.

I hope this is useful to someone.