Final Fantasy Legends

What are your opinions on this series? Which one was your favorite? Pros/cons of each…etc.

I thought they were great. I would say 2 was my favorite. I never played 3 though.

From what I gather 2 seems to be the most popular of the series. I just started 3 and it’s ok. But I just started.

I played and finished 2 first, but I loved/hated it because the battle system was so fricking hard. The final boss was really hard, because for whatever reason, I couldn’t get my characters to raise their stats any higher. Killing the Arsenal was a combination of luck and a very carefully laid out plan which could not be deviated from, or at least for me. It had a pretty neat story for a handheld game though.
I intially enjoyed 3 the most, sheerly for the fact that the battle system was less unforgiving, but I also liked the music better. Now that I look back on it though, it wasn’t nearly as original as 2.

1 was just plain irritating, but I still enjoyed it. I guess the fact that I’d played and beaten the other two before I started it sort of messed up my appreciation of it.

Yeah, 3 is so un-saga like it’s scary. After this I’ll probably play the first Legends game.

FFL3 wasn’t too bad. Although turning humans and mutants into mostly fighters and mages was kind of annoying. I mean even under the EXP system they could have kept the mutants ability to gain and lose abilities.

In the japanese version, the spell system worked a lot like the original Final Fantasy; as you could only have a few spells of certain strengths on at once, and you could only use them a few times. I think if that was left in, it would have made FFL3 pretty interesting.

Really? In that case I agree with you. It would have definitely made things much more interesting. It’s like dumbing down a system by removing it.

Yes, am a little confused with the meat and the bolts. My characters become monsters and robots…but I don’t know what’s good or what exactly I should do with this.

Okay in FFL3 Robots get stronger by upgrade capsules. Ie you just it on the character while they are a robot. Cyborgs have their power based on the equipment they wear. Monsters I believe can equip “talents” and Beasts change their form at level up. This I can’t really remember exactly.

Humans - no inherent bonuses or flaws. Can do well with anything equippable, though they tend to be better with weapons than magic.

Mutants - Magic, magic, magic! If it’s Magic or a weapon that does magical damage, then a Mutant can use it amazingly well.

Beasts - Human/Mutant + Meat = Beast. They have some natural talents (anything from special attacks to element/status resistances) and can equip items. Not particularly great with weapons or magic, but totally awesome with Martial Arts. The type of beast you are depends on your level and current element, and you will change forms at level up. You may also change forms by eating meat, but sometimes eating meat as a beast leads to…

Monsters - Beast + Meat = Monster. They cannot equip anything other than accessories and magic. Some monsters are good with magic, but never as good as a Mutant. They rely mostly on their natural talents, as they get some talents a Beast will never see. Like Beasts, the form depends on element and level. I honestly don’t like Monsters much in this game, as Beasts also get Talents and can use armor and Martial Arts.

Cyborgs - Human/Mutant + Parts = Cyborg. Cyborgs have basic stats that can only be enhanced by equipping items. They might be able to equip magic (I forget), but unless you really bias yourself towards Wizard-type items that magic is going to suck. Your best bet is to focus on whatever makes the Cyborg’s Talents get better. Cyborgs will also change form based on element and level, but installing more parts might create a…

Robots - Cyborg + Parts = Robot. No magic for Robots. They have some awesome talents, and can equip any items. But the only way their stats go up is by installing capsules. Robots can get very strong very fast if you’re willing to spend the money. They also change forms based on element and level, so installing parts or gaining levels will change your form.

Phew, that’s a lot of info. Here’s my usual party setup:

Arthur - Human. You can always get use from a Human.
Curtis - Beast. Magic + Martial Arts is an awesome combo.
Gloria - Mutant. A Mutant’s Magic power is amazing.
Sharon - Robot. Total powerhouse. She’s your party’s tank.

Is this one of those games that you need to level up alot? I have pretty much the same set up you posted. Am at Chaos castle, but the monsters there are pretty strong.

No, you don’t really need to level up too much. All the non Human/Mutant types get their best forms at level 31+, and you’ll probably be 35-40 when beating the game assuming you go hunting around for every last treasure and do some fighting around for money.

I remember being level 14-16 or so in Chaos’s Castle. If you’re having trouble, perhaps raising one level will be enough to make a difference. That or try a different form for your non-Human/Mutant. I always remember Chaos and Maitreia (sp?) being the biggest pains in the ass when I played, so you’re not alone in being stuck. Did you buy the best equipment available before going in? A full set of top of the line armor really helps in this game.

My characters are between levels 13-11. I am going to go back and level up and get some better equipment.

I usually beat FFL3 between the levels of 30-40 on average. Although I hate how the final boss can sort of cheat.

Vague Spoilers about the final boss’ ability.
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
Try to heal every round just in case? Well I’ve seen him go last one round so any healing you do is wasted and then automatically go first the next round. This is even worse when he uses “FLARE” and it does like 500 damage to my characters who are about 1000 HP or less. Then he does it again. This equals dead people. Of course it’s random so you can still win despite this. But it’s still annoying as heck.
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
End Vague spoilers.

I beat Chaos with lvs 17,17,17, and 13. It wasn’t that bad. How long is this game anyway?

You’ve barely scratched the surface. You’re a little over halfway through the first half of the game.

Well am in Pureland…am I close now to completing this game. I think I need to level up I have 24,23,23, and 23.

Definitely. I was in like 35+ when I beat the game.

I haven’t played FFL3, but I really like how the world is set up. You have 3 parts of the world (under, middle, and higher), and 3 different times (past, present, future). It sounds intriguing!