Final Fantasy IX Plot Hole? (Spoilers)

I got this in an email, could anybody confirm/deny/clarify it for me? I haven’t finished FF9 yet… My last disc is scratched.:fungah:

“Overcome with ironic despair, Kuja decides to take everything in the
world with him. He destroys Terra in a rage of magical power.”

That’s far from the truth. Kuja never destroyed Terra.

A dialog before fighting Deathguise in Crystal World:

Kuja: “Hmph. You honestly think you can beat me? Even if you do, Gaia’s
already doomed. Its assimilation by Terra has begun, and the Iifa Tree
will incite a cataclysmic destruction of Gaia. It’s all over for you
and your friends. See. I win, either way.”

Zidane: “It doesn’t matter! Even if Gaia is assimilated, the planet will
remain. And we’ll start over to make a new home. Kuja, you’re nothing
but a coward! If you’re gonna die, leave us out of it!”

How could Terra assimilate Gaia if it is destroyed? And Zidane says: “Even
if Gaia is assimilated, the planet will remain.” The planet? Terra, of course.

Hmm… I guess that even though Kuja destroyed the physical Terra, the spiritual one still lived on and continued sucking the life force out of Gaia. That’s the only way I can think of to have both events make sense.

actully Kuja didnt destroy terra entirly he destroyed part of terra and most of the things on it, and the gate way into terra, also does kuja die? will anyone ever really know?

I’m pretty sure Kuja does die (besides getting blown up by the Iifa Tree, his lifespan is over in any case).

I don’t think only part of Terra exploded, because in that case why did they have to leave Terra in order to escape it (as opposed to just going to a different part of it)? And why would they have to rescue every last Genome?

hmm maybe he does die who knows, besides the fact about the lifa tree he can outlive his lifespan as most of the black amges have done. If terra was alive only in spirit then it would be recreated after the asimilation was complete maybe thats what he ment

I kinda figured he died.

Who ever heard of a supervillain living?

Isnt Zidane at Kuja’s death ? Doesent Zidane say goodbye ? It’s been a long time since i went through FF9, i useually give up in Disc 2.

Kuja destroyed Terra’s surface, but the essence of the planet itself was still intact, I think. And the dramatic irony of Kuja’s existence wouldn’t be complete if he didn’t die at the end :get it?:

Hmmm… been a long time since I played FF9 that far. But i do remember a giant plot hole opens up at the end and swallows the whole party (AKA the fight with necron; wherever he came from).

Necron’s appearence wasn’t a plot hole, just a poorly executed event that was supposed to represent the characters trials and hardships. The whole theme of FFIX, or so I believe, was finding something to live for, Vivi’s story is the best example of this. The final dungeon basically was a conglomerate of the party’s worst nightmares, illusions probably created by Necron. All of which to discourage them or show them the futility of life. It was meant to throw them in despair, because that’s basically what Necron is. He’s an entity, the esscense of despair, nothing more. When Zidane and everybody defeated him, it showed life’s power over despair.

That’s fine, but it doesn’t explain the fact that he comes out of absolutely nowhere without explanation.

Cid: I thought that Necron explained he showed up because he felt the balance between Life and Death had been disturbed (with all that mucking up with the Iifa tree) therefore, indicating that the time to end it all had finally come? In that sense, he’s like the Angel of Armaggedon.

Then, when defeated by the heroes, he decided that Life had not yet lost its will to exist, and went back to wherever he came from.

That was MY impression, anyway.

STILL, from a story P.O.V., it IS a laaaame Final Boss appearance.

Then there’s the fact that Square forgot that Yoda qoutes are a no-no.

Originally posted by Wilfredo Martinez
[b]Cid: I thought that Necron explained he showed up because he felt the balance between Life and Death had been disturbed (with all that mucking up with the Iifa tree) therefore, indicating that the time to end it all had finally come? In that sense, he’s like the Angel of Armaggedon.

Then, when defeated by the heroes, he decided that Life had not yet lost its will to exist, and went back to wherever he came from.

That was MY impression, anyway.

STILL, from a story P.O.V., it IS a laaaame Final Boss appearance. [/b]

it makes sense, but if you ask me… its still not a great reason for him to simply apear out of nowhere, and yeah, it was hell of laaaame.

Originally posted by Mullenkamp
Then there’s the fact that Square forgot that Yoda qoutes are a no-no.

:hahaha; I almost forgot about that one.

yeah, that Yoda reference was kinda funny. But, it wasnt the first time Square took something from hollywood. Remember that whole Shadow-Seigfried flashback ? Watch a little flick called “House: Ding Dong, You’re Dead” and you’ll see an identical resemblance.

As for Necron poppin up our of nowhere. He wasnt the only one. Remember Griever ?

Originally posted by Born_Loser
That Yoda reference was kinda funny. But, it wasnt the first time Square took something from hollywood.
Poopty, Peupty, Pants… EX-SERIES CROSSOVERS!

Remember that whole Shadow-Seigfried flashback ? Watch a little flick called “House: Ding Dong, You’re Dead” and you’ll see an identical resemblance.
This, I’m going to have to look into… If it isn’t already on the crossovers page, could you send me a little more elaborate description of the resemblance? Please and thank you.

As for Necron poppin up our of nowhere. He wasnt the only one. Remember Griever ?

Griever didn’t really pop up out of nowhere. It was mentioned previously when you had to name Squall’s ring, and it was Ultimecia’s GF, so there was a plausible reason for it to be there that fitted in well with the rest of the story.
Necron was a different matter. He wasn’t even mentioned before his appearance in the story, and I thought that the reason for his being there was fairly implausible, and didn’t fit in too well with the story.

Hmm…

Remember when Garland mentioned that the true people of Terra were but spirits in deep slumber, awaiting the assimilation? Well, the Genomes were artificial life-forms created to serve as bodies for the spirits to enter when the time is right. Perhaps Bran Bal and the other parts of “Terra” that were wiped out were just temporary “breeding grounds”, while the true planet sleeped deeper within. What I’m saying is that Kuja didn’t actually destroy Terra, just the “outer casing”.

Also…

Garland mentioned he once tried to take Gaia by different means, but failed. That was probably a good long time ago, when he wasn’t so aged (like, when he was playing the role of a knight in Corneria’s service). And since he created a time loop, screwing everything up and all, it’s not entirely crazy to say this earler attempt by Garland was the plot of Final Fantasy 1.

By the way PanamaJack, I happen to have 2 copies of the Final Fantasy IX Disc 4, both in great condition. We don’t live too far away, do we? I’ll give it to you for free, if you like.