Final Fantasy Gaiden: 4 Warriors of Light

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ffg4wl/ffg4wlpropaganda.html

Looks like a spinoff of either FF1 or FF3, for the DS. But good lord, I hope those graphics are not the final version.

Still not officially announced yet, we’ll find out more when the teaser site finishes counting down on July 6:

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/0706/

This has me interested. It’s something original, but not original at the same time. It looks like a remake/sequel to the early FF games without the direct story references. The graphics in the photo are hopefully in the works… FFIV DS didn’t look that bad, right?

It looks like an FF1 style gaiden, really old school. I share your skepticism, Cid.

I was so pissed to find out that this game wasn’t SaGa 4 (and the music on the site sounded so similar too). D:

Still, until I find out more about this game I’m just gonna have to leave it as is.

Wasn’t SD1 called “Final Fantasy Gaiden” in Japan? Maybe it’s a DS remake of FFA. That would be fucking sweet, actually.

And also, uh… what is wrong with those graphics? I haven’t seen anything that good on the DS yet. FFIV looked a lot worse, no question. The DS is great but expecting even N64 level graphics on it is insane. The pics I’m seeing look pretty impressive, they sure beat the shit out of games like DQ7 anyway.

There was a GBA remake of it just a few years ago, so I highly doubt it. Also, there were no “four warriors of Light” in FFA.

Should I play the GBA remake, having never played the original?

The GBA remake has an interesting visual style, but the gameplay is not very good. The sound chip also did not do honor to the soundtrack.

The music is so goddamn tinny in Sword of Mana, I can’t stand to listen to it. First time I played it, I made it to… I think it was the tower where Gracie the Robot was. Tried picking it up again last month, didn’t even go past the Vampire lord’s mansion.

On the other hand, the fact you could choose to play as the girl’s story instead of the boy was rather interesting.

They basically took Final Fantasy Adventure, made it crappier, and changed the aesthetic to look similar to Legend of Mana.

Also, RE Final Fantasy Gaiden: Booooooooooooored!

Fuck Squeenix and their spin-offs. New stuff. Now.

By not very good you mean horrible right since that’s what it was.

As I mentioned in another thread this is perhaps the worst video game remake I’ve ever seen. Just the brilliant idea of haphazardly borrowing elements from every SD game prior to Sword alone was enough to make the game into crap (and should generally be avoided by all game designer unless, by some miracle, they hit upon a jackpot) nevermind the fact that they took the oldest and simplest game of the series to Frankenstein up into that mess, or the fact that when they tacked all of this useless junk they did so without actually expanding the game except with a few missable sidequests, or even mangling the story with the power of friendship to the point where even almost all of the villains of the original game were simply misunderstood (even Dark Lord was simply some poor misguided nice guy and you should feel sorry for him).

I could very easily go on.

They at least had the decency to stay closer to the original version when they remade the game a second time for cellphones.

Edit:

Originally Posted by Valkyrie Esker
On the other hand, the fact you could choose to play as the girl’s story instead of the boy was rather interesting.

I remembered that the Girl segments weren’t new and in fact the game got pruned down for both character (i.e. the Boy never gets on the Airship but instead takes a cannon travel straight into Amanda’s house).

Also just to give you a feel of just how badly they nerfed the story, Mr. Lee of Katt’s Place kidnapped the Girl to dine on her, and instead he ended up dining in hell. In Sword he not only lives (along with his mother if I recall correctly), but the entire reason as to why he abducted the Girl and locked her in a coffin was so that he could hide her from Julius.

This is new, well as new as Squeenix is going to get. There hasn’t been any reference to this being a sequel or spin off of an exisiting title. And the four warriors of light, crystals and all that crap are part of the FF canon, or used to be. That’s why I’m kind of excited for this game… it’s not a remake, yet it has that old school feel. Maybe I should just play FF3 already though.

I read this as more of a throwback to FF1, but not totally related to it. It has all the classic elements, but I think that’s as far it goes. And yeah, they need to give the characters a complete overhaul, since they look ugly as hell.

Look at KH 358/2 Days. That’s basically PSX/N64 graphics right there.

Originally Posted by Ultratech87
[i]
Quote:

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by Hades Shinigami View Post
And also, uh… what is wrong with those graphics? I haven’t seen anything that good on the DS yet. FFIV looked a lot worse, no question. The DS is great but expecting even N64 level graphics on it is insane. The pics I’m seeing look pretty impressive, they sure beat the shit out of games like DQ7 anyway.

Look at KH 358/2 Days. That’s basically PSX/N64 graphics right there.[/i][/QUOTE]

Hell even the DS port of DQ V looks a hell of a lot better than DQ VII.

And yet, compare Mario64 DS to Mario64.

And holy shit, I just looked at those KH screenshots you told me to. That is NOT N64 quality. In fact, they’re substantially worse than the screens for FFG. What were you THINKING, man?

I think people forget just how good the N64’s graphics were. You can’t say “PSX/N64.” You can’t slash them together like that because N64 was on another level at the time.

And also, why is this about graphics anyway? I know not many people can read Japanese here, so looking at screens is pretty much all we can go by… but let’s at least wait for a trailer, yo.