Final Fantasy 7 gets awarded #1 game moment of all time!!!

I didn’t say that FFIV was not an upgrade from FFIII. I’m saying (or at least what I wanted to say) is that FFVII’s upgrade was more notable than FFIV’s.

There’s a big difference in the graphics in FF5 and FF4. For one thing, there’s at least five more colors onscreen at any given moment in FF5 than in FF4! [rimshot]

And I would argue that FFVI from FFV is the biggest upgrade. It went from below average SNES graphics and a disgustingly poor storyline to excellent SNES graphics and a decent plot is a much bigger “upgrade”.

storyline and whatnot, CC, yes, I would agree with you there… but I was referring from a graphical standpoint. the upgrade from 5-6 wasn’t that much… the chipsets were a lot better, as well as the spritesets… but from 6-7? we’re talking about entering the 3D realm here.

Originally posted by Cybercompost
The storyline in any FF game is always far from deep, and if you call FFVII surreal, you have no idea what surreal is. Final Fantasy games are meant to be fun, not Earth-shatteringly important or anything. And you know, the FFVI plot might have been overdone and cheesy, but at least the plot was COHERENT unlike FFVII. And FFVII was still pretty damned cartoonish, especially dealing with both weapon and body proportion.

I meant FF7 is more surreal than any other FF game I played, not the most “surreal game ev0r.” And I guess they are meant to be earth shatteringly important if people are still talking about little old Aeris dying.

and yes FF7 was still cartoonish but it was a big step up from FF1 2 3 and 5, obviously. Im not saying they were the best graphics but they presented a new style of imagery, back then with FF7.

And what is not coherent about FF7? True it did stray from time to time (and introduced too much information at any given point in the game) but a lot of things did tie back to what was going on. it was just more open and was meant to be interpreted differently. FF7 seems to be the darkest game in the series, so of course there were a lot of aspects surrounding the whole gameplay. I apologize if I’m not making sense, this is just what i gather from your reply.

And for anyone believing Im “worshipping” FF7 oh I am so not. Im just pointing out what I saw while I played. But can the majority of the gaming population be wrong…?

EDIT: You’re right Orak :stuck_out_tongue:

FF7 seems to be the darkest series in the game

(I think you meant darkest game of the series).

I don’t think FF7 was the darkest game of the series. I think FF2 was the darkest of the series. I mean right from the beginning, you’re killed by 4 dark knights. Nothing in FF2 is ever really happy. Most of your characters die (Mihn, Josef, Richard). Numberous towns are destroyed. Just nothing happy really happens in that game until you defeat the Emperor.

What is it about the 2nd game of a series though? Phantasy Star II was the darkest of the series. Nothing happy ever happens in that game either. You rescue Tiem, only to have her killed by her father Darum, who then kills himself. Neifirst kills Nei (or Neifirst dies first, either way, Nei is dead). Climate Control loses control, Motavia floods, Rolf is captured after opening the 4th damn. Giara CRASHES into Palma. Motherbrain is destroyed, and the earthmen and rolf’s party have their fight. I’ve yet to find one happy thing in Phantasy Star II

yeesh. Sounds like a depresisng game to play.

I would say that Eight is a far darker game but… whatever.

Yeah, it is a depressing game, but fun none-the-less.

Originally posted by Cybercompost
I would say that Eight is a far darker game but… whatever.

As in FFVIII? Nothing struc me as particulary dark in that game. Maybe the Terra section in FFIX with Garland did.

Nine was just stupid, not dark at all. In fact, it was just a RIDICULOUS game overall. I hated it.

And everyone looked like Chibi’s Gone Wrong.

And everyone looked like Chibi’s Gone Wrong.

better than Kagons Gone Wild. ^_^;;

Anyways, FFVIII in itself was dark as well I mean Almost getting killed by a giant spider… finding a decoy president, being taken prisoner by Edea and Siefer, the battle between Gardens… but there were a few happy moments, like the little concert at FH, the part where Squall rescues Rinoa in outerspace. But I dunno, I guess it can compete with FFII for darkest of the series.

I think it was IV when almost everyone seemed to die but actually didn’t, except for that guy, mage, began with a ‘T’. I forget his name. He died, no-one else did, even though they made you think so for the entire game…

While said scene never really did anything for me, it still was nice or something. No, the scene from Chrono Cross when Miguel is killed in order to get out of the frozen sea was good because not only the haunting good music, but the fact he was your girlfriend’s father.

By the way, I have G4, and while it not perfect coughG-Phoriacough, it does have it good points, like Portal, Icons, Flither (show this list is from), and Cheat.

I remember that scene. I’m stuck on the Black Dragon though, so I can’t get to the end…

Well here’s my take on all of this. I’m going to make a parallel.

A few years ago, ESPN did the top 100 athletes of all time. Babe Ruth was in the top 10. Now Babe Ruth was a porker. Sure he hit the ball like nobody’s business and he was a great sportsman and loved baseball, but titling him with “greatest athlete” is not the most appropriate title. He’s a legendary and famous ballplayer, but not a great athlete.

Now we take the scene from FF7. For one thing, FF7 was a breakthrough game in the FF series since it was so more than what had been done before, that and it was popular like nobody would believe. So then they kill off Aeris. Big shocking moment, talked about, yadda yadda. (Personally, I found it to be an effective scene) So you have the most talked about scene in one of the most popular games ever and you get the “greatest” scene in a video game ever.

Besides, every top list thing is debatable. Super Metroid was once named the greatest video game of all time, and you could debate that until the end of time.

You can’t say FFVII is better than FFVI in graphics. OF COURSE IT IS. You go from Mode 7, 32-bit to 3D. Obviously, FFVII will have better graphics. You can’t graphically compare the two.

Actually, from 16 bit to 32 bit 3-D, but yeah. I think the huge “improvement” was that whole adding a dimension thing.

Originally posted by Cala
You can’t say FFVII is better than FFVI in graphics. OF COURSE IT IS. You go from Mode 7, 32-bit to 3D. Obviously, FFVII will have better graphics. You can’t graphically compare the two.

And FFVI’s graphics are arguably much more pleasing to the eye than FFVII’s ugly and blocky graphics.

EDIT: And I don’t know if I mentioned it- but I believe that Aeris’ death was poorly done and seemed slightly random.

DOUBLE EDIT: And yes, I still enjoy FFVII- there are just a lot of fun things to pick at.