FFXIII Ambivalence

I liked the Muppet Show / Babies when I was a kid, but I found the characters in IX to be FF’s answer to Jar Jar. I enjoyed the combat system, and the gameplay, but not being able to care about or admire the characters killed my experience.

I suppose I could replay and try to appreciate it more. I probably would enjoy it, now that I’m done expecting FFVI - 2.

Well, first of all, the look of it seems like FF VIII redux. Also, the story seems somewhat reminiscent of VIII - lots of close-ups of characters looking horribly melodramatic and overly serious. I thought this one would at least have a surface level of being a little cheerier, or more like FF7 which, despite its heavy plot, had a more laidback, cooler style than FFVIII. I also thought it was going to be set in outer-space, for some reason. Basically, if I had to judge just on the superficial things we saw in the trailer, it seems like a repeat of FFVIII-FFX, which would be a letdown, IMO.

Regardless of all that, I have a good feeling about it. Why? I don’t know. I just think that after missing the ball ever since FFVII, Square is ready to come back like never before.

One last thing that I did like is that the environments seemed modern, not some weird synthesis of modern-fantasy that we’ve seen so much in RPGs. Or at least, the one nightclub environment did.