FFX2: Thunder Plains

I have just completed the mission in the Thunder Plains (in Chapter 5) and I have a question: are the treasure boxes that appear after beating the monsters at the Lightning Towers, the ONLY ones in the plains? (Not counting the ones in the Machina Panzer Dungeon). Or are there more chests laying around outside? My guide says there are, but I have NOT found them at the places it indicates; it appears the map is wrong (this is the first MAJOR error I find in the guide, BTW). If so, could you people tell me where they are? (just tell me near which tower they are and I’ll look. There’s 10 towers, counting from the south entrance.) The blasted plains are dark and I can’t see around very well, plus I get tired of looking around only to get attack by random monsters.

Also, are there any new items in the Zalamader’s cave?

Thanks.

Never mind, folks, I ended up buying a Charm Bangle and exploring the Plains by myself. And yes, there ARE new treasure chests there (but not in the cave.) I hope I found them all…

I was wondering… In chapter 3, I got all ten towers calibrated with 30 hits for every one of them. When I got to chapter 5, I didn’t get any special item from the Al Bhed guy. I got all towers calibrated perfectly in one try, except for towers 7,8, and 10, which took me 2, 18, and 2 tries respectively. My question is, does calibrating perfectly mean getting all towers calibrated in “one” try with 30 hits for all of them?

No. You get the special item in chapter 3, not chapter 5. It’s a Garment Grid. And you don’t need perfect calibration for all 10 towers to get it.

However, for each tower you calibrated successfully in chapter 3, the contents of the chests in the chapter 5 mission (defeating the fiends) will change into something better.

I’m in Chapter 2 and started calibrating for the first time. I’ve got two questions:

1. What is the difference between “calibrating” a tower and “calibrating a tower perfectly”? In other words, do you get something extra if you calibrate all the towers perfectly?

2. How is a tower "calabrated perfectly?

Originally posted by BahamutXero
[b]I’m in Chapter 2 and started calibrating for the first time. I’ve got two questions:

1. What is the difference between “calibrating” a tower and “calibrating a tower perfectly”? In other words, do you get something extra if you calibrate all the towers perfectly?

2. How is a tower "calabrated perfectly? [/b]

1. Calibrating is just doing the mini-game, calibrating it perfectly is when you get 30/30 on the mini-game. No, you don’t get anything extra. You get the garment grid that lets you use Samurai abilities.

2. See answer to 1.

Thanks a lot RC!

No problem.

I have calibrated all the towers except for the last two “memory” towers. I know there’s really no strategy to it, but I’d like to hear how some have you guys completed them.

Basically I just repeated the keys to myself out loud as they appeared. For the ones that are more than one syllable I shortened it (e.g. “T” instead of “triangle”). So it might go like this:

“X. X, T. X, T, R. X, T, R, Square.”

For the last tower I just repeated it to myself backwards, like this:

“X. T, X. R, T, X., Square, R, T, X.”

The only tricky thing about that is the R1/R2/L1/L2 thing. You kind of have to keep which R/L it is in the very back of your mind. If you don’t have a lot of practice in memorization it might be a bit tough.

I wrote the keys down on paper… No need for memorization there~ I got this strategy from one of the FAQs on gamefaqs.com.

Cid: Yeah, that’s pretty much what I do too. It will just be tough for me to reverse them. It also seem to help if I finger the buttons before I input them.

FN: How do you write so fast? I’ve tried to write them down but I don’t have enough time before the “Input Phase” starts.

It’s not really that hard. In fact, the memory towers are the easiest for me. I took out a piece of scrap paper and start jotting down the keys when I reach the 20th hit or so for the 10th tower. Just don’t look at your paper as you jot down the keys. After that, just enter the keys in reverse order… It’s very simple.

Don’t the button combos appear in a specific order each time, or is a randomized thing?

Totally randomized except that earlier towers have a smaller set of keys (no L2/R2).

You mean… the sequences arent random ? I spent two hours trying(and failing) to calibrate all those towers when i coulda learned and anticipated how they were gonna turn out ?

I repeat, they’re totally random. The only thing that’s not random is which keys can be picked (i.e. the earlier towers won’t use L2 and R2).