FF Worlds

I like to think of each game as its own world in its own universe (with a few obvious exceptions) that has no connection to the others outside of the minds of the creators and players. You can call them alternate universes, but I like the idea that each is a seperate story, and doesn’t have to directly connect with any of the others.

It’s like different versions of a fairy tale. I’ve heard Cinderella told a lot of different ways, but I don’t consider them parallel dimensions.

Exactly! Oh and Born_Loser, I do know the theory of parallel universes, thank you very much! And there is more than one theory, by the way. Oh, and technically, by definition parallel means to never intersect, so it would be impossible to travel from one to the other. Therefore, they cannot possibly be parallel universes (the Black Knight always triumphs!)

takes a pencil and draws two parallele lines. Then draws a third line crossing the two parallele lines Not so impossible after all, huh ?

Tuba and Resh: Ultimately, we all decide what we want to think. However, there ARE certain facts we must accept:

1. Cloud DID crossover from FF7 to FF Tactics;
  2. Some characters (such as Cid) get reused from game to game, (in different versions- sometimes, like in Cid’s case, VERY different versions)Heck, since Kingdom Hearts was about reality manipulation, the FF characters who appeared there might also count!)

So, crossovers DO happen in Square games. More importantly: for purposes of Fanfics, anything goes. The point is, can GOOD stories be told by crossing over these games? The answer is YES- it all depends on how good the writing is… so, if you let your minds be open to the possibility, you might be surprised how much you would enjoy crossovers.

Heck, I myself have been thinking of writing a story of “what if ALL the FF characters had existed in the same world? HOW would their lives had differed?” I KNOW I could write it- but it would be a LOT of work. Still, maybe one day…

Wil, that’s a nice thought. But I am having trouble with my fan fic, and it’s only about FF8. I’m kinda at a stuck spot in the story, I cant think of a way to advance the plot without making it look stupid… So, lately I’ve just gone back and did some touching up and editing. Might be another month or two before I feel it’s ready to be turned over to you guys, depends if i have any brainstorms.

Wil, your right crossover stories can be good. As along as they are not like:

“One day, Cloud fell into FF8, he met up with Squall and the guys. ‘Hey I now you! You’re from FF7, right?’ ‘You know it, let’s go party’. The END.”

Oddly enough, that is probably better than a lot of crossover stories I’ve seen. Especially on FF.net.

I think the key to a good crossover story is a good explanation for how the hell they crossed over in the first place. And a good plot, but I already now you’re good at those.

Wil, I’d be really interested in reading that fic if you ever get round to writing it. Crossover stories can definately be good (Refugee’s on ff.net are a good example of this), and in certain cases they can be used to explain the links between the FF worlds, and the authors own theories on these links, which can be really interesting to read. As long as they’re not the kind o fics that Heaven’s Soldier mentioned. They should be burned on sight.

Any GOOD story - crossover or otherwise- must fit two requisites:

1. It must MAKE SENSE.
  2. It must have enough details that it helps the reader picture what is happening well.

As for my writing the “Ultimate FF Crossover”… well, I have been thinking of starting a thread to explore the idea first. What do you guys think?

Go for it, Wil. If you want to, I have no doubt it will be a quality work.

Definately go for it.

:moogle: did sephiroth appear in any other games than FF7 and Ehrgeiz? :moogle:

Play Kingdom Hearts and find out. =P

Ok, here’s the basic plot of my “Ultimate Final Fantasy” story… NO, I’m not going to write this yet, I’m TOO busy. I’m just toying with the idea, and would like some feedback:

In a world were ALL the FF characters co-existed… The Magitek Empire (FF6) is out to conquer the World- BUT, it must deal with powerful nations like Galbadia (FF8) wich has 20-century technology, and Bevelle (FFX) which has no technology but does have magic, including the Supreme Summoner… meanwhile, Shinra Inc. (FF7) has its own plans for world domination, via ECONOMIC manipulation, but the Church of Yevon (FFX) is in their way.

Opinions? Suggestions? 8 )

Sounds pretty good. Are you going to be bringing in characters from earlier FFs, or will you be starting at FF6?

My intention is to use characters (and ideas) from ALL FF games, but I haven’t played some of them yet (1,2,3, Mystic Quest, 11 and CC) so that can be a problem. But, I’m using the FFC as a source. 8 )

Speaking of which, what do you guys think should be the “Ultimate Source of Power” that Emperor Gesthal would look for? (from any FF.)

The “Ultimate Source of Power”, well I’m not sure about overall but each game had it’s own ultimate source of power.

FF1: Crystals, I think
FF2: I don’t know
FF3: I don’t know
FF4: Crystals
FF5: Crystals
FF6: The Godesses, and the espers
FF7: The Lifestream
FF8: Lunatic Pandora/Lunar Cry
FF9: The Crystal
FFX: The Final Aeon/Sin

So maybe he’d go for a mixture of them, or something. In the end, dude the decision is up to you.

FFI : Crystals/Chaos
FFII : Hell
FFIII : Noah’s disciples (not crystals because some dude easily created his own crystal)
FFIV : Crystals
FFV : The Void
FFVI : The Goddesses
FFVII : Lifestream
FFVIII : Moon
FFX : Final Aion/Sin
FFT : Lucavi

I think that you could say crystals for FFIII, since Goldor’s crystal only created gold and didn’t give powers. I thought one of the three created that crystal for him anyway. Oh well.

Yeah, The Four Crystals would HAVE to be in the story in some form, they’re too classic. But, which? Differents FF have had different interpretations. My personal favorite is from FF5, in which they were the source of ALL elements…

Come to think of it, I would have to settle on a specific version of the Summons, too. I think that the Aeons (FFX) are the ones that fit in best with the whole idea of “summoning”. And allows you to do more with them, since they stick around for a while in battle…

As for the Ultimate Power in each FF- will get back to you on those.

Maybe your “Ultimate Power” should be Ultima (spell, book spell, materia, Bloody Angel, …)