FF Worlds

I’m a real noob to the Final Fantasy world. Do all of the games take place in the smae world, or do they all have different storys and worlds?

Yes. As far as we know, all the Final Fantasies take place in separate worlds excepting Final Fantasy X and its direct sequel, FFX-2. However, all the Final Fantasies have something in common that binds them together…check out the Final Fantasy Compendium (a link on the main site) for more information.

Another exception is FFXII, which has been confirmed to take place in the world of FFT-A, albeit at a different point in time

Originally posted by Ket Shi
Yes. As far as we know, all the Final Fantasies take place in separate worlds excepting Final Fantasy X and its direct sequel, FFX-2. However, all the Final Fantasies have something in common that binds them together…check out the Final Fantasy Compendium (a link on the main site) for more information.

You’d probably be most interested in the Evolution and Crossover sections of the FFCompendium . You’ll see a lot of the trends that continue throughout the series.

The way I see it is that they all take place in different worlds, but the other worlds “exist” inside each FF in the forms of stories, books, music (the record in Final Fantasy 9 that you could listen to), treasures (and the legends behind them), or other forms of art.

Also, you can say that Vagrant Story takes place in the same world as FFT

sorry I just don’t agree fate they are close but everything is different:monsters weapons ect.

Yeah, it has nothing to do with FFT, except Alazlam and Agrias who seem to exist in both games.

But in fact, since we know nothing about FFT’s world except Ivalice, and nothing about VG’s world except Valendia and Léa Monde, that doesn’t really matter… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[spoiler]They couldn’t ACTUALLY be the same world; it’s simply not possible. For that theory to work, it would have to make sense that the very history and heritage (including the creation of the planet and the dawn of mankind) would have changed about 15 times. (that’s how many FF games there are total, I think)

After all, how can the planet be powered by the Lifestream for a span of time, then change to spheres the next? And after the death of Kefka, magic and magicite disappeared from the world, yet mages are commonplace in games like Final Fantasy 7 or 8 where you can literally find magic on every street corner, in compressed form, or sitting there waiting to be drawn out?[/spoiler]

I think it’s more that they’re all on different universe things (think of the movie The One). Each world is similar but people are different and do different things.

I think a simple possibility is that the book from ffta was used to change the world to the different versions. isn’t that book supposed to be called the final fantasy or something. and then maybe the world stays like that until the person in control dies, and the story of the world goes on, until some one else finds the book. but that’s just a half-hearted theory of mine.

FFTA referenced a specific video game universe - so that video game would have to exist before the book could call it into being. You’re essentially saying that each FF video game is, in fact… a video game. How deep. 8p

Well that’s the level yopu just have got to except, from pink lugia.

And anyway, all the final fantasy worlds are way too different to all be th same one. The only thing they have in common is the fact that they are all physically donut shaped planets.

I feel insulted. But there can be other ways that the world’s connect to each other. Some of the world’s might be the same as other’s, just with continental plate shifts and all. Though that may only be possible with the final fantasy’s that revolve around “light warriors, revive the power of the orbs.”

Originally posted by pink_lugia
“light warriors, revive the power of the orbs.”

“Orbs”? Isn’t it crystals. Ya know, of the four elements, earth, fire, water and wind.

ff3 and ff5 had crystals. ff1 and ff4 had orbs. ff3 and ff5 also had a light and dark world if I’m not mistaken. but ff3 had a flaoting continent so it doesn’t have the same possibilities.

It was all originally Crystals, they just got translated to Orbs in FF1.

FF3 does have a Dark World, but FF5 didn’t (it had “alternate worlds” that merged into one).

Originally posted by Cidolfas
FF3 does have a Dark World, but FF5 didn’t (it had “alternate worlds” that merged into one).

I wasn’t sure about that. thankee for correcting me.

As a fanfic writer, my approach is that each FF World (I call them “Gaias” after FF9) exist in a separate dimension, but are, in effect, alternate versions of each other. After all, if we accept the notion of Parallel Earths (in series such as SLIDERS) that are almost identical for NO reason, then having these different worlds that share only SOME similarities is even more believable.

I must also point out that Cloud from FF7 crossed over to the World of FF Tactics, which reinforces my multiple-world theory.

Another interesting thing, would be to think how the Summons/Guardian Forces/Aeons/whatevers relate to one another from World to World. In FF6, they were treated as characters, but some of the other games (like FFX) they were more like concepts that could be embodied. In any case: if they can be summoned: WHERE are they being summoned from? Perhaps the same superior reality? Their differences could be due to the beliefs of the summoners… Say, wasn’t there a fanfic around here that had the Summons talking while waiting to be summoned? 8 )

Wil puts forward a good point. The “Slider” view, is probably one of the more realistic explantions to the different worlds, in Final Fantasy. And why certain things are common in all of them.