Fantasy movies generally tend to suck,

but Narnia is a good one. See it if you haven’t.

Way to be a year late. >:(

Hey, this isn’t for people who are on the ball. It’s for those bastards like me who were late.

I found Willow enjoyable because Madmartigan (aka Marty McGary Stu) under a love spell spouting poetry to Sorsha is one of the most hysterically funny scenes in movie history.

Same goes for Legend. Because nothing beats a helplessly pantless Tom Cruise trying to sweet-talk a slimy swamp monster into not having him for dinner (“That would be a shame because someone as fair and lovely as yourself, Miss Meg, deserves far better than scrawny me.”). Or a seven feet tall devil promising his heart, his soul and his eternal love to the scared spitless, dainty little heroine.

But yes, generally they do suck.

Oh god I’m getting so sick with all this Eragon bullshit. Everywhere I look it’s Eragon this, Eragon that, Eragon whatever, and it looks like the most clichéd fantasy crap ever spewed out of some underpaid writer’s mind.

It was written by a fucking 15 year old.

I agree with Hades. narnia was fucking amazing. I like other movies too (not Eragon. Jesus Christ, what the hell is that?), but Narnia won in my book.

Narnia was awful. It was disjointed and jumped around from scene to scene without bothering to provide the motivation behind half the characters’ actions. The kids did what they did because that’s what they did in the book, but without explanation in the movie. It was clearly just riding the LotR wave, and lacks the merit to have made it on its own as a fantasy movie without that.

I didn’t like Narnia much. It was a Deus Ex Machina LOTR-lite. The story made me think of what I don’t like about RPGs: a civilization blindly entrusting itself to a couple children. It was very well made though and while I didn’t like it much, I didn’t dislike it much either.
Narnia is good if only for 1 thing: it wasn’t the kind of fantasy movies Hollywood tends to put out (Krull, Eragon, etc). Eragon looked so fucking cliche in the ad I saw for it and I couldn’t stand looking at the protagonist in the damn ad , so I can’t imagine having him save the day.

Oh god I’m getting so sick with all this Eragon bullshit. Everywhere I look it’s Eragon this, Eragon that, Eragon whatever, and it looks like the most clichéd fantasy crap ever spewed out of some underpaid writer’s mind.
I have the book. Hardcover. It mostly IS.

Narnia was awful. It was disjointed and jumped around from scene to scene without bothering to provide the motivation behind half the characters’ actions. The kids did what they did because that’s what they did in the book, but without explanation in the movie. It was clearly just riding the LotR wave, and lacks the merit to have made it on its own as a fantasy movie without that.
It was far, far better than LotR. I see LotR the same way TD sees Eragon: cliché fantasy <i>bullshit.</i> The Noble Elves. The slovenly Dwarves. The Evil Orcs. The White Wizard. A retarded hobbit who can’t walk in a straight line saving the world in the most pathetic way possible, and barely succeeding at that. Every character using a British accent because it’s supposed to sound medieval or something. Its writers probably woke up one morning and asked themselves how much boring cliché shit they could saturate a movie with.

Narnia was rich, original, and fun to look at. I didn’t read the book and I followed it perfectly. I never had trouble understanding anyone’s motivations. The characters had British accents because they were actually British, and the ones who weren’t didn’t. The fantasy races were unique and done in a way that didn’t seem forced or awkward.

It was written by a fucking 15 year old.
And he’s a better writer than you will ever be.

a civilization blindly entrusting itself to a couple children.
Haha, LotR had this too. sigh

Prove me wrong. Write a book. Hell, an opening chapter. You can barely get through a post to RPGC’s standards. Paolini wrote a 500 page book when he was 15 and you’re somehow criticizing him. It might not be literary gold but it’s passable, and his commitment to his work blows mine away.

In all fairness though, Narnia was a children’s story. So making the heroes children isn’t all that bad and it is just appealing to its audience and stuff. Also, since this is about Naria…Lazy Sunday.

The story made me think of what I don’t like about RPGs: a civilization blindly entrusting itself to a couple children. It was very well made though and while I didn’t like it much, I didn’t dislike it much either.

I guess the RPG paradigm of society entrusting itself to children rings rather true if readers entrust themselves over to fifteen year-olds.

“Whatever” means “I don’t give a shit.”

Which is clearly the case.

I might be making some wild assumptions here, but those elements weren’t cliché when Tolkien wrote the books in the late 1930s and 40s. You’re blaming a movie for being cliché when there’s a good chance those elements originated from the freaking books.

Not to mention the writers’ only job in that movie was figuring out how much stuff to take out while still keeping the story sensical. How do you “saturate” a film that follows a seventy-something-year-old book practically to the letter?

Oh, and while Tolkien certainly didn’t create ALL of the mythology that appears in the books, he is responsible for the now traditional conception (Noble elves, slovenly dwarves, etc) and is very much responsible for making all of that popular in the first place. Calling LotR a cliché fantasy story is like calling Bram Stoker’s Dracula a cliché Vampire story.

Tolkien is also responsible for making Elves SUCK.

Well, yeah, he’s the reason whe now deal with those stuck up assholes in the Infinity Engine games. But there were some good elves too like Legolas, that archer guy in the Silmarillion and… and… yeah I got nothin’.