Fahrenheit 9/11

Moore does not pretend to be open-minded or politically neutral. Unlike some of his erstwhile media peers he doesn’t claim to be “fair and balanced.” What is true however, is that his opinions are backed up with facts. And an honest appraisal of those would force someone to decide that this current administration has to be turned out of office. I really don’t have much patience for Moore, but his movie sums up what is going on pretty well, and only those absolutely pre-determined going into the viewing will not have their eyes opened.

Moore has come up with some footage that’s never been seen before, some facts that the mainstream media has ignored (and continues to ignore), and presented things in a way that the mainstream media has never allowed people to see. Regardless of what end of the political spectrum you’re on, I reccommend that people at least view the movie, even if they don’t believe everything that’s stated. MSNBC’s most conservative Republican corespondant, <A HREF=“http://joe.msnbc.com/”>Joe Scarborough</A>, ran a report on what all was “incorrect” in the movie and seemed to only point out scenes of blatant opinion as being anything but factual (more accurately, he referred to the movie as “Moore Lies,” and these were scenes that he pointed out as being lies). For example, he picked out the line “Maybe the Bush family thinks about what’s best for the Saudi’s instead of what’s best for you” as being a lie. Well, duh. It’s a thought provocing rhetorical question, that’s not a fact. If it was a fact, it would have been “George W. Bush wakes up in the morning, calls the Daily Times, and says ‘Hey, I hate Americans. I just like the Saudi royal family. Where are my Corn Flakes?’”

Jon Stewart was on Larry King Live on Friday night, and I think he said it best. Moore’s film is an Editorial Documentary. It’s doesn’t present all sides of everything (even as a left wing Democrat, I’ve gotta admit that Moore skewed more than a few of the facts), but is a very poignant piece of cinema, one that deserves some praise for standing up to the power, and stating quite firmly that it disagrees.

[edit]
And, I’ve really gotta say, you can’t exactly complain about people “[believing] whatever propaganda is spoon fed into their mouths” without also complaining about the people who believe that everything George W. Bush and his administration have done are 100% perfect and great, and that the war in Iraq was great because of all of the WMDs/liberated people just because they heard it from Bill O’Reilly’s mouth. That door swings both ways, and from my observations of the world (albeit in Texas), more people believe the conservative republican propaganda without thinking for themselves than believe liberal propaganda.

If you don’t go into this movie with an open mind (i.e. the possibility that it might have facts that adequately back up its position, which it does), I think it could be argued that you’re already entrenched in whatever propaganda is spoon fed into your mouth, only the people you’re listening to are conservative media outlets like Rush Limbaugh, Bill O’Reilly, and the entire FOX network.

Edit: Man Sat, we were TOTALLY thinking the exact same thing at the exact same time :stuck_out_tongue:

High five, maz. :smiley:

but you have no arms left!

Thanks for the advice, Saturn. I’ve never been to Dallas before, so now I know where to go. :wave:

Merkidon, we’re not all liberal lapdogs just because we want to see the movie. I get into heated debates about certain political things (usually with people who are just better debaters), but I think a lot of us really agree on the main issues. I’m not left- or right-wing. I really hate politics, though I support some republican views (such as more freedom with my guns), and some democratic issues (a less controlling government). I guess what I’m saying is don’t be hostile, or close-minded. With the way the political mud is slung around these days, being totally staunch in either direction just isn’t a good idea, in my opinion.

I saw the website you linked to a while back, and I’ve seen others like it, that “debunk” Moore. The thing is, there is not “debunking” of a film like that. It is a collection of things that may or may explain themselves 100%, but the emotional impact aside, they have a statement to make and generally back it up with fact.

with a little luck I’ll be able to see it soon. maybe this weekend.

I’ll likely be seeing it this wednesday, if plans stay the same.

The only problem with the film is that Moore overstates the Saudi connection, probably to make the point that the war was mainly about oil. The ideology at the root of it is never really examined. But what the movie nails <i>perfectly</i> is the apathy and helplessness of Congress while the neoconservatives try to push their war through, the absolutely disgusting and vile attitude adopted by the media when they refused to question the war, and the hollowness of all the “liberation” rhetoric.