Evolution vs. Intelligent Design, Zee Movie

(CBS) Most Americans do not accept the theory of evolution. Instead, 51 percent of Americans say God created humans in their present form, and another three in 10 say that while humans evolved, God guided the process. Just 15 percent say humans evolved, and that God was not involved.

I was expecting that something similar to this documentary would be produced eventually. Well, here comes the ‘Flock of Dodos’
http://www.flockofdodos.com/

Now, if only the filmmakers had more financial backing and some major distributor for a large-scale release.
Film’s description:

The central message of Olson’s film is that if evolutionists don’t learn to adapt and to beat ID proponents at their own game, then they and their message could go the way of the dodo.
But Olson thinks the stakes are even higher than that.
“The bigger issue in this whole thing is who will be the voice not just of evolution, but of science in general.” he said. “Is it going to be scientists who are handicapped by their blind obsession with the truth? Or will it be public relations firms that know the importance of a good story but feel no constraints by the truth?”

“The bigger issue in this whole thing is who will be the voice not just of evolution, but of science in general.” he said. “Is it going to be scientists who are handicapped by their blind obsession with the truth? Or will it be public relations firms that know the importance of a good story but feel no constraints by the truth?”

WTF, almost not a question at all, a spokesman should only convey truth, there does not need to be any other way about it, “good story” gets ratings and that is all, whereas truth is the only way to truly say anything without causing uneeded chaos. Not to be too sappy, but a saying I once heard makes the perfect wrapping to such a point “Lying makes a problem part of the future, truth makes a problem a part of the past”

What part of ID proponents game is he suggesting that scientists adapt specifically?

I think the bollocks part.

I really doubt that the theory of evolution is going to ‘die out’ any time soon. Bottom line, ID is still based partially on theology, while evolution is cold hard science based on tangible research.

One of the awesome things about Discordianism is that, as I see it, evolution fits in the belief system better than creationism. This is because both “god(dess) created it” and “god(dess) is guiding evolution” is based on constructive order, whereas “evolution just randomly happened” is constructive chaos, which I think Eris would like a lot more.

(Uh, the Principia Discordia puts forth constructive/destructive as the good/bad dichotomy instead of order/chaos, since (a) it says, time and again, that chaos is the good thing, (b) “imposition of order = escalation of chaos”, and © focusing exclusively on order and trying to avert chaos forces you to accept the destructive parts of order whilst missing out on the constructive parts of chaos; the reverse is also true.)

WTF, almost not a question at all, a spokesman should only convey truth, there does not need to be any other way about it, “good story” gets ratings and that is all, whereas truth is the only way to truly say anything without causing uneeded chaos. Not to be too sappy, but a saying I once heard makes the perfect wrapping to such a point “Lying makes a problem part of the future, truth makes a problem a part of the past”
Yes.
But what if the truth is not getting through to the masses? Evolution had been taught in American schools for a few generations now and yet more than 50% of Americans think that evolution is just a load of crap.
We live in a society where marketing rules. Any message/product, no matter how truthful/good it is, needs a proper advertising campaign to successfully reach its target. I think this is what Olson is trying to convey in his film.
PS: Man, your entire statement is like delicious bait for a deep philosophical discussion. But there is no way I’ll bite – lack of time, will and capacity to argue. :wink:

What part of ID proponents game is he suggesting that scientists adapt specifically?
Superb PR campaign? How fast ID became a household name .The Wedge strategy?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedge_strategy
Mind you, after Judge Jones’s decision, the mighty wedge is temporary blunted.
All the books with catchy titles (Of Pandas and People, Why Is a Fly Not a Horse?)

I really doubt that the theory of evolution is going to ‘die out’ any time soon. Bottom line, ID is still based partially on theology, while evolution is cold hard science based on tangible research.
Trill, I think/hope that you are right. But history goes in cycles; the “age of enlightenment” is almost inevitably followed by the “dark ages” (going back to Ancient Greece)

Yar, one of those days I might take a look into Principia Discordia