Ever Get this Error Message?

So, gots a new NEW computer, unfortunately with Vista. I shut down a lot of the Vista features to make it run better, according to what people told me, and I keep getting THIS:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

or something of that nature.

Looking on the interweb, there’s a lot to be done: Like, getting a better fan, uninstalling ALL the ram and some other innerworkings and going to BIOs, shutting things off, blah blah.

If you’ve gotten this before, what did YA’LL do?

Friend of mine told me to switch to Linux ASAP and I wouldn’t have the problem. I’m not sure, just need some more input.

If you just bought it you should probably just return it for a computer without hardware issues. And don’t listen to the Linux nerd, they think all issues occurring on a Windows machine can be solved by switching to Linux.

I have gotten this before, and it was because one of my sticks of RAM was bad. It almost always happens because of a hardware issue, and there are a lot of different things that could cause it.

Shit, that’s a 40 minute trip to the nearest Best Buy and back then. For one of the two sticks of Ram from THEIR store that THEY installed.

Damn geeks.

Thanks, bud.

Best Buy might actually send people to your place if you call them, they have that GeekSquad thing, you should try that first to save yourself a trip. Just make sure they don’t charge you anything as it’s no fault of your own if they do.

Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of.

I’ve seen some of the services they can charge for. Some of it is useful, wheras more of it seems like it’s for the computer illiteriate (sic? eh) who would give a quick $20 to someone who could get their computer to shut off after it freezes up.

I’ll give that a try, though.