Election day poll

I was going to vote for Kerry, but it seems that the powers that be are denying me of my right to partake in this election. I moved to Colorado two months ago, I registered at a Wal-mart(which turned out to be a bogus special interest group). I am currently registered in the state of Ohio(as a Democrat),and about a month ago I sent for an absentee ballot, and to this day I still haven’t got it. This pisses me off badly. I feel that in my case being both Asian-American and a Registered Democrat, and with the patriot act snooping into my Library records, maybe someone is behind all of this. Or maybe I’m just paranoid. But at the rate things are going, I will be unable to partake in this election(which I also feel is the most important so far in my nigh 22 years on earth)and that alone frustrates me. I feel like I’m at fault for things beyond my control. Maybe with any luck I got it in the mail today. crosses fingers for good luck

I registered at a Wal-mart(which turned out to be a bogus special interest group

Well there you go then.

Question; where CAN you register? I mean is there an official government registering place or do people volunteer to hand out the forms or what?

Here in the states, the BMV is a good place for that. I still have both my Ohio ID and Voter Reg. Even though I live in Colorado.

The courthouse is another place where you can register, as well as the Board of Elections office.

Oh boy. We’re entering the final stretch.

I’ve already cast my absentee ballot for Kerry. I was also the only member of the entire Galloway family (including all known offshoots) to vote for Kerry. That’s what I get for being a liberal born into a conservative family.

Bush’s arguments have imploded completely. There are no WMDs in Iraq. The economy is in the shithole. We’re losing on every conceivable scale. And yet, all he can do is blame the Democrats. Clinton may have had all the morality of a garden snake (I know, generic and overused analogy), but he got our economy up and running after a massive recession. Bush then drove us back into the ground in less than a year, thanks to Trickle-Down Economics (aka the dumbest form of economics known to man).

Kerry hasn’t had a perfect track record, but I don’t think he’s much of a flip-flopper. The Republicans say that he voted for the war, but given the wording of the average piece of buerocracy (sic), I doubt it said “war” on there. It just said “action against Iraq,” which allows things other than all-out war.

The REAL reason many are voting for Bush is because they don’t like Kerry. Virtually the entire Republican party despises the job Bush has done, but they refuse to sink to voting for a Democrat, despite the fact that the two share common ground on quite a few issues.

Also, I heard that Kerry is starting to catch up. The race is extremely close, and it might end up with there being no actual winner.

Kerry…Kerry…Kerry.

With the Motor-Voter Act, you can register at any DMV or DMV-affiliated place, such as a driver’s license renewal station in a Publix. You can also go to some government building and register, generally there is some headquarters that you register at (both of my registrations have involved an official registration office). There are some groups, some partisan and some not, that go around asking you to register, and they in turn submit those to be made officia (ideally. the partisan groups on both sides tend to not submit some forms)l. Some states let you register the day of the election at the polling booth, and the vote associated with that registration is not considered valid until they ensure that you were lawful to register. Some states might let you apply for a form and send it in via mail, but I’m not sure about that. There’s probably some other voter registration places (maybe courthouses or online, dunno), but the ones I listed seem to be the main routes.

Mmm… Nummy nummy [STRIKE]bullshit[/STRIKE] politics.

I’ve discovered something about Cheney (is there one or two e’s?), that will sadly have no impact on anything, because everyone’s mind is already made up, and my comments will only cause people who already agree with me to nod in approval, while simultaneously causing people who already disagree with me to just shake their heads saying either “Liberal slander” or “That’s still not as bad as Kerry.”

Meanwhile, my point: Dick knows the Jedi Mind trick! Watch him sometime, and then check the real facts vs. what he says. Ten to one odds that they don’t match up, and he gets away without anyone calling him on it.

This part is just a crude insult, so I won’t count it as my argument against our vice presIts actually kind of creepy. He even looks like Emperor Palpatine sometimes. It sends shivers down my spine.

That pretty much explains my position as well.

What it does not explain, however, is what “sinking to a Democrat” really means.

I get the almost the same phrase from Republicans here at BU. Apparently they’d rather save face with an unsatisfactory Bush than possibly convert to the other side, as if the other side was tainted. It’s a lose-lose situation for them.

In America, things have become so politicized that about 40% will always vote Republican, 40% always Democrat, and 20% will split somehow. In most cases, the votes for candidates are not votes for the candidates but votes against the other guy. People are voting Bush mostly because he’s a Republican and not John Kerry. Most Kerry voters seem to be voting Kerry more because he’s not Bush and a Democrat. The same was the case of the 2000 election. Probably '96 too.

Historical trends have also shown this, particularly in the South. Until… Goldwater or Nixon, I forget which, the South was always Democratic, to the point where it was considered a one party system (in reality, there were small pockets of Republicans that succeeded, but no more than 5% of the South, probably). This Southern single minded hatred for Republicans spurred the creation of the phrase “Yellow Dog Democrat,” someone who would vote for a yellow dog if it were a Democrat over a Republican.

So, when one says “sinking to vote for a Democrat/Republican,” it means one has such loathing for that party in general that he would vote for a candidate that doesn’t share his ideology rather than vote for “the other party” cue ominous music It really is a sad state of affairs, and unfortunately, neither major candidate, or party as a whole really, seem able or willing to heal this rift (partially because the other party will spit such hatred and animosity when it loses).

Oh my, did paranoia get the best of me…turns out this special interest group was for real…I got my voter reg transfered to Colorado with only 6 days remaining before the election…Now I can place my vote…yaaay.

And now who I am voting for and why.

I am voting for John Kerry. My first reason for placing this vote is that …well…he isn’t Bush. My second reason is that Kerry seems to cater a little more to my Ideals than Bush. Thirdly, I’m a liberal and would never vote for a conservative. Also, Kerry wants to get the troops out, as well as attempting to restore our standing in the eyes of the rest of the world.

You know your country sucks when every other country thinks it sucks. Maybe This is the year for Boston. Patriots Defending Superbowl champs, Red sox have a 3-0 lead in the series, and John Kerry is running for president.

Fact: Last Four presidential candidates who came from the same state as a World series contender Went on to become President. Makes me kinda glad Houston didn’t make it. If so, There’d be just as much politics in the series as the election. And It would have marked the first time Two world series teams played in the respective home states to the two Presidential candidates in the election.

I’m so fucking liberal I need my own party. And the reason I would never vote conservative is this. I’m a Left wing Extremist. I don’t agree with 95 percent of the conservative Ideals. I don’t agree with the Patriot act. I don’t agree with the GOP wanting to overturn Roe v. Wade. I don’t agree with the Conservative stance on Stem Cell Research. I support Legalization of Marijuana. I also support getting the troops out of Iraq. I support cheaper imported Prescriptition drugs from Canada. I am also against what the GOP is trying to do with civil rights(eg, gay marriage ban, racial profiling) and most people I know think I’m too liberal for the Dems as well. Some say my liberalism leans towards anarchy. Which is kinda scary. I could list other reasons to justify my statement, but it’d take me all day to do so.

It’s interesting to note that 984’s general statement has been proven with very specific instances, even in this forum of some few hundred “nerds”, who are supposedly more educated and intelligent than your common person.

Hell yeah…Boston forever!

SK, not that i dont trust you, but when did bush ever say his foreign policy is approved by god?

In the last debate, Bush stated: “God wants everybody to be free. And that’s a part of my foreign policy.” He later stated, referring to the new government of Afghanistan, “I believe that the freedom there is a gift from the Almighty.”

This is a little off topic, but when DID the Republican and Democratic party completely change their views… almost completely flipping one to the other?

Depends which views, really. The Republicans were more left leaning socially until around Teddy Roosevelt, I’d estimate. The Dems became more liberal in general around FDR’s time, and their base is what it is almost solely due to FDR. The Dems became more oriented towards black social rights under JFK/LBJ, but a vast majority were still opposed to the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts. Those acts passed because of Republicans, but the issue was divided along regional rather than political lines (most Dems happened to be Southerners and most Reps damn dirty Yankees). The Reps became more Southern oriented starting with Goldwater/Nixon.

Really, it’s kinda hard to pinpoint when the changes occurred. It’s easier to point out the first bit of evidence that the changes occurred, but it follows that there must have been a change in ideology for the events to occur. The changes were more gradual rather than a sharp turning point.

I am a Republican that is not eligible to vote, but I would still vote for Bush if I was three to four months earlier in age. It’s really more of a vote against Kerry than it is for Bush for I believe Kerry is going kill us all with his policies that will not work any better than Bush’s. Additionally, I’m extremely pro-life and do not like the idea of having several new people on the Supreme Court be replaced that would be more than deffinitely for pro-choice rather than more abiding to sticking with the Constitution. Yea yea, there’s no way you can get a real unbiased person in the Supreme Court, but at least let the bias be on my side :bowser:

You’re prolife? Bush sure isn’t. While he was govenor of Texas he approved that there be capital punishment. I’d rather have people in the supreme court that are prochoice than someone Bush may put in. I don’t believe Kerry will be able to do anything if he’s elected; we have a republican congress right now(barely, I believe). Anything dumb he tries to pass will be shot down, nearly guaranteed.