DVD Recording with subtitles intact

Hi, I recently came into possesion of some anime in the .mkv file format. We then got a new computer that has a DVD burner. And, believe it or not, I’ve never burned a video dvd before. So here’s my problem.

I can’t burn just the mkv, so I converted it to .avi to burn. But when I do so it loses the subtitles (I don’t speak Japanese, so I would like them). So I extracted the subtitles, and they’re an .ass file (which is a really unfourtunate name). I can now watch the anime on my pc with subtitles, but I was wondering how I could get them on a video DVD (and work)?

I’m using the whole Nero suite (basically Vision for now). Is there anyway I can do this without a huge amount of trouble?

Okay, never mind. I downloaded convertxtoDVD and I converted the files to dvd files and burnt the DVD. However, when I played the DVD, the subtitles where below the screen, and it seemed that a part of the image was also missing. Is there a setting I needed to have selected?

The best program to convert MKV files to AVI is AlltoAVI. An open source program. If there are multiple audio tracks it will also allow you to choose the track you want to use as well.

I use alltoAVI all the time myself to convert non-DivX movies to DivX to watch on my PS3. shrug it also is capable of turning most videos into ones you can watch on a PSP and and iPod.

Hope this helps. Just be sure to select the right subtitle track.