Drug Tests-

I touched on my feelings on drug tests in my employment thread… but I was wondering how all of you thought of it (and yes, this is partly so my prior thread does not turn into a discussion about drug testing).

I believe, as I had stated before, that it is not anybody’s right to know what I do behind closed doors, or to take my bodily fluids for a non-medical reason. Not only this, but I would not say the taking of illegal drugs necessarily affects your performance at work. If it DOES affect your performance (or you are stupid enough to show up to work drunk/high), you should be fired (or not hired at all) for your lackluster performance rather than your personal choices.

I feel that their needed like background checks. Drugees or people that have been arrested are more likely to be trouble at work and do stupid stuff like stealing.

It’s required for some businesses Roun. When you think of all the money they spend training you and you turn out to be a druggy who refuses to learn it, then they lose out. Cheaper to do a drug test than train 2+ people.

Cala thinks drug tests’re useful… It’s not like an employer would want a (potential) employee come to work wasted or something… And if said employer needs a drug test to be able to tell if said employee is wasted, Cala wants some of them drugs.

Yes, but stealing and such would be reflected by their background checks, I believe. They have such invasive personality tests that its almost impossible for a potential thief to be let into a job owned by a corporation.

Also, please show me the statistics that prove that drug users are more likely to steal. I believe that a drug user is just as likely to earn their money honestly as they are to steal it. Look at yuppies- they work to pay for coke and they sniff coke so that they can move faster for their work. They do not steal for their money, they earn it honestly to do dishonest things.

EDIT: Oh, I do believe that drug tests are necessary for things such as:

1. Bus drivers.
  2. Teachers.
  3. Other such jobs where people are in charge of other people’s lives.

I don’t have any statistics but I think drugies would be more likely to steal to support their habbit. They also may stupid and try to bring drugs into the workplace. I don’t mean they deal it, I just go by “Possession is 9/10th of the law.”

Nothing’s worse than going in for surgery, only to find that your surgeon is high on LSD. Granted, that’s completely irrelevant and highly unlikely, but it’s creepy nonetheless.

Originally posted by d Galloway
Nothing’s worse than going in for surgery, only to find that your surgeon is high on LSD. Granted, that’s completely irrelevant and highly unlikely, but it’s creepy nonetheless.

Note my exceptions. :stuck_out_tongue:

Drugs affect performance and state of mind. Fact of life. Sorry Roun. Weed is a mild hallucinogen. Alchohol is a depressant. Other drugs have more powerful effects. I personally think that drug tests should be mandatory for stuff like school sports in HS and college. You might not like drug tests, but that lies partly in the fact that you like and have done drugs in the past. You are biased. I don’t do drugs and I know of the effects of a variety of drugs on people. Drugs aren’t good. Also, no one is a better judge of someone 's behavior on drugs than the onlooker. A drunk man in a bar doens’t care he’s drunk, for example. He might notice it, but won’t have a problem with it.

Also, this is a selfish issue which you have. You fail to realize that there are a lot of shit heads out there which do a lot of drugs and I’m sure from having experience with them, that you know what they’re like. You can’t go through life expecting the best from the people around you. Doing so has less dramatic effects in day to day events, but in other situations, like corporate self-regulation, we know that people will just do what they feel like unhindered and what that will lead to. Thus in those situations, there requires a certain degree of control on the society in order to place safeguards for the benefit of all. If you don’t like drug tests, go to a place which doesn’t test you. However, you will not enjoy your stay there as much as a slightly high quality environment which might ask for drug tests.

Originally posted by Rountree
[b]EDIT: Oh, I do believe that drug tests are necessary for things such as:

1. Bus drivers.
  2. Teachers.
  3. Other such jobs where people are in charge of other people’s lives. [/b]

If you’re saying this then you’re more or less admitting that drugs can affect someone’s performance. In addition to what Sin said I would like to point out that someone who breaks the law by using drugs is far more likely to break the law in another way. Employers also wish to do this possibly to maintain a clean image with the public and to lessen the risk of an employee being arrested/oding and missing work.

short-and-not-as-well-put version of sin’s post: drug tests lead to better things then no drug tests.

Originally posted by Lord Zhou Yu
short-and-not-as-well-put version of sin’s post: drug tests lead to better things then no drug tests.

Except that comment has no substance.

Sin’s does.

Actually, I wouldn’t mind having a surgeon high on LSD perform on me. I might end up with cool trippy features such as a laser belly button or horns.

right, it’s nighttime over here. i no function night as well at.

What kind of drug are you people talking about?
1.A drug that would give a better feeling?
2.A drug that would give an illness?
3.A drug that are bad(Too broad)?
4.A drug that are the Circle of Repetition(You eat drugs, feel better and you do not feel better seconds later, and you eat more drugs the pattern goes on and on)?
5.A drug that are nutritious?
6.A drug that harm your inner body including your cells.

Originally posted by Rountree
Look at yuppies- they work to pay for coke and they sniff coke so that they can move faster for their work. They do not steal for their money, they earn it honestly to do dishonest things.

Please tell that to the cokehead restaurant owner (and father of someone my brother’s age) in my hometown who is currently in jail for tax evasion among several other financial things to cover his drug habit.

I’m more on Sin’s side in this one. I think I’ve seen too many pothead friends whine about being tested, and I’ve seen too many people on other things whine about being tested while life performance is going down the toilet.

UF-Jabricruds: /sound english.wav

Originally posted by UF-Jabricruds
What kind of drug are you people talking about?
1.A drug that would give a better feeling?
2.A drug that would give an illness?
3.A drug that are bad(Too broad)?
4.A drug that are the Circle of Repetition(You eat drugs, feel better and you do not feel better seconds later, and you eat more drugs the pattern goes on and on)?
5.A drug that are nutritious?
6.A drug that harm your inner body including your cells.

7. all of the above.

I think there is more to that test than knowing if you’ll have bad performance… It disencourages drug using since drugsters know they’ll have less chances to get a job.

Hmmm; just thought I’d post a few facts from my school about that here.

Some people were doing drugs (“just” dope, actually) and gave out some free stuff to make people addicted and make money or something; I don’t know the exact story. However, the teachers were pretty pissed and tested the WHOLE SCHOOL on drugs. That took weeks, because they watched you while you pissed into the little glass- and most of the students just “couldn’t”, which is not a surprise. I mean, not everybody can piss on command and even less when being watched by your Math/English/Geography/ whatever teacher.
Burt after about 2 weeks, the school was proud to announce that everybody is clean. Now, every week I think, some students are picked randomly to get tested.

Hah, good one. :wink: Half of the school is still doing drugs, and the possibility that they’re getting tested is pretty low. Nobody has been tested as positive yet.
Conclusion: They should use the money for other things. One test costs 60 Euro after all… :moogle: