Dragon Age: Origins

Mmmh, I had replayed Black Isle RPGs so much I had actually forgotten what was like not having the foggiest idea of what to do with your skills. I see now that I built my mage incorrectly for Arcane Warrior as he’s too geared towards large AoE spells instead of close range crowd control, and the final spell in the Spirit healer tree actually drains mana instead of just being a sustainable, making it more of a liability than anything else. I should have put some more points on the Mind Blast tree to get Crushing Prison… bah, that’s what replays are for, my party is still plenty serviceable.

By the way, I find Arrow of Slaying to be a cocktease skill. I had Leliana learn it and she can shave off like 200 points in one hit, which is awesome, but means that any enemy actually capable of surviving that (Say, High Dragons) will immediately go after her and her alone, and as an archer build, she’s not exactly sturdy.

Ahaha, oh wow. Storm of the Century is fucking insane, I can clear out like thirty enemies at once before even seeing them, totally worth learning Spell Might. This game is pretty unbalanced in favor of mages, honestly.

After getting the hang of most skills and classes, and building a good Arcane Warrior which by the way is broken as fuck when used correctly, I’m kind of dissapointed at Shapechanger. It’s fucking retarded, there’s no upside to it whatsoever.

Yep, mages make most things pretty easy. Even without Storm of the Century, having 4 or 5 AoE spells can destroy most rooms without the caster making eye contact with anyone in it.

Maybe it wouldn’t be so blatant if there were no way for mages to defend themselves, but Arcane Warrior is so goddamn awesome in melee that I’m really missing the point of Warriors and Rogues here, my mage with Combat Magic + Fade Shroud + Shimmering Shield is even more durable than Alistair wearing massive armor sets and strikes for about as much damage.

I bought the Ultimate Edition a couple months ago and finished up the platinum trophy yesterday. My first playthrough I used a human rogue, second an elvaan blood mage / arcane warrior. I thought the game started a little slow, but the dialogue was excellent and Alistair was always very amusing. My rogue was a monster, he just sliced through everything without much trouble (on normal difficulty). I used Wynne (healer), Alistair (tank) and Morrigan (mage). Second playthrough my mage was pretty strong but blood magic would get me into trouble when I’d forget to turn it off. I used Alistair, Sten and Leliana with my mage.

Good game with incredibly developed characters and brilliant dialogue, very well written. Going through the origin stories of each race / class to get the trophies tied a lot of things together and was very interesting. As a noble dwarf, for example, you got to see everything that went down with Bhelen and his brothers and the fight over the throne. The city elf story was horrible, however.

Playing on the PS3, there were definitely performance issues (framerate) and my game froze up completely a couple times along the way. Graphics weren’t great but good enough. I’d strongly recommend this to RPG fans, they did a nice job with it. Pic of my mage (with a camera off the TV, hence the blur):

The second ones a bit different, but it’s okay.

I never got the hype over this since I never played a Dragon Age game before. I think I’ll pick it up now that it’s $30.

Get the ultimate edition, and you’ll have all the DLC other than exclusive promo crap. It’s pretty awesome.

Incidentally, that’s what I’m playing. So far it’s kill things with mages before things kill your mages.

To be honest, I always love these kind of RPG games. I have tasted many before but Dragon Ages is an exception. I don’t know why I don’t give it a go but I think it’s because I haven’t finished any of the others yet lol! OK, it’s time to come back and conquer them one by one :slight_smile:

this is from nears the end of dragon age origins. The troops are putting all their faith in you, don’t mess it up.