Donnie Darko Music

Recommendation:
10. Slipping Away

Its got some nice cello (sp?) work and is very creepy for a short duration… Mmmm psycho sounding music…

Whenever I hear Mad World, I always think of the Tears for Fears version. I kinda grew up on Tears for Fears, so it’s just what comes to mind first. It doesn’t help that Head Over Heels is also in the movie.

The biggest problem with what you are trying to do, is that you are looking for one of the piano parts instead of one of the lyrical songs, and while they are all certainly amazingly cool, your chances of finding it are reduced. I personally like the piano parts more than most of the lyrical songs, with the exception of the original Mad World.

I don’t know, I just feel like Gary took a somewhat maddening song and decided to mope it out, which to me is not in the cool category. In the Tears version, there is almost a pervasive insanity tied to the synth sounds they use. Its much more hectic feeling, and it kind of threatens to overwhelm my sense of hearing, without losing clarity or becoming obnoxious. Its kind of like the FF2 (j) victory music (at least i think that is which one I am recalling. Too lazy to go check) where, the melody sounds almost exactly like the others, but if you listen close you can hear a base line that adds so much more flavor. That base line is what Tears has over Gary, and I will die before I accept that someone can make a song better by taking a mad world and making it a sad world.

Sanis mensa est mala brassica! (a sound mind is a vile cabbage)

It’s apparent that you’re old enough to remember when the song came out, because for the generation that’s likely hearing the new one, the original is cheesy 80’s electric rock. My friends have a hard time recognizing any emotion in 80’s music, or in disco. They just think of it as something to make fun of. The new version seemed to ring with them a lot better.

No. The soundtrack that is currently out has all of the piano songs on it. They are easy to find.