Do i have some kind of legal case?

I was promoted at my job.
I was told by the manager at the time that I would be under a one month trial period.
That manager was replaced.
I worked the job 6 months, no raise.
I never received proper training, the things I were required to know, were done by the managers so they could get out earlier.
I asked the manager about the raise.
I am demoted
Pissed, I write “I hereby quit this” and slam it in my employers face.

I figure I’m at least owed the backpay the raise woulda given me.

What’s your job, what were you supposed to do that you weren’t taught? Is any of this in writing? Were you ever officially promoted? It’d be hard if all of this was unofficial and you never had any managerial duties because by their books, you would never have been a manager so you never were actually demoted. You remained the same.

Also, you’ll have problems in all of this is that everyone and their mother is looking for a job. So if you give people the finger, you have a nice line up of ppl willing to take your place for less.

My duties were to take charge of the employees and make sure they did there jobs. Handle the money. And gave everyone breaks. as well as customer support, and various other duties. This was never in writing. But it would have been after the one month period. But they just never decided to make it official. My only guess is because the NEW general manager didn’t know i was promotoed about one week before he got the job. So he must have figured that I had been doing that job for a while and that I was just an idiot. The facts are I did my job better than anyone else with the same amount of training.

Also, when the new general manager came into power he cut the hours down to only 3 people when it takes at least 6 people to run the business. Nobody had enough time to do what was required and he would bitch at them for it. There was no way to live up to his standards.

But the way I see it, I should have been demoted after the one month trial period, if they thought i wasnt up to the task. But instead they kept me in charge of the staff for 6 months for free, under the promise of receiving my raise soon.

You don’t have a case.

You quit.

[strike]I’ll assume two things. First, it was absolutely clear to everyone that “being promoted” meant getting a raise. Second, the manager said clearly that you were promoted.

Even so, you’d have a near-impossible burden proving it. You entered an oral contract. Because there’s no written evidence, and probably no testimony from your old boss, the “course of performance” under the contract would be the most persuasive evidence of what the contract entailed. You went six months before bringing it up. That suggests that 1) the contract never happened or was not made sincerely, or 2) you released your employer from the contract.

Second, in most states, unless your employment contract makes clear that your employment is not at-will, you can be fired or demoted at any time. You don’t have any “right” to your position or hourly rate. Even if your old boss promoted you, your new boss was free to tell you to take minimum wage or be fired.

Now, if you spent six months doing the work of someone with a higher position, expecting to be paid for it because everyone else who did that work was paid at a high rate, you may have a claim. Then there’s compelling evidence that the promotion happened, and you deserve the “benefit of the bargain.” But you’ve spent six months doing your old work, and meanwhile you’ve been paid at your old rate. You’ve hardly been treated inequitably.

I’d let it go and move on.[/strike]

After reading your second post more carefully, I think you may have a legitimate claim. It sounds like you were a supervisor of sorts. Was there a standard rate at which supervisors were paid? If so, what was it? What were you paid? Can others testify to you doing supervisor work? Can you get in touch with the old manager who agreed that you would be paid the higher rate? Did you ever mention to anyone that you expected to be paid the higher rate? Did anyone besides your old boss ever mention it? Is there any form of written contract or employment manual that mentions salary?

I can’t advise you of course, since I’m not an admitted lawyer and don’t know employment law, or even what state you’re in. But if you can find a lawyer who would take the case on a contingency basis (he fronts the costs and takes part of the winnings), you may as well try it.