Disney and Marvel

People, we can logically extrapolate from that sentence that Mastermune is Kasey’s boyfriend.

My first thought was that Mickey Mouse and Spider-man mix like oil and water. I hope I’m proven wrong and Disney clearly separates the two.

Whatcha’ talkin’ 'bout!? Spider Mouse is awesome (quite possibly even awesomer than Mighty Mouse (although I doubt he would be as awesomesauce as Danger Mouse)).

Silliness aside though this crossover won’t be complete until the Gargoyles show up to kick some Marvel villain ass (and not just in off-handed cameos like those in Spectacular Spiderman). Also Marvel Thor versus the Gargoyles Thor (or at least Odin since I’m not sure if Thor ever showed up in the series). Battle of the gods indeed. \m/p

I don’t think Disney cares much for the Gargoyles, frankly. They scuttled it and then cancelled it, after all.

I always thought it was Michael Eisner that scuttled and canceled it, specifically? At least I recall reading somewhere that he was quoted as saying he disliked the show…

And, well, he’s gone now right? Maybe there’s some hope.

Wouldn’t hold my breath.

The timing of the deal is impeccable, I must say. Just when Marvel studio started firing on all cylinders, enjoying more control over their film adaptations and financial rewards; Mickey makes his move. Disney shareholders should thank all the deities of the show business for their current CEO, Robert Iger, who brought Pixar and now Marvel under the company’s wing.

Excellent article; mind you, I mostly concentrated on “the business” section and glanced over “the fans” and “the creators” which more or less allude to what most of the posters above mentioned.
A snippet from the article:

I think Disney is a better owner for Marvel than Sony, another oft-rumored suitor.
Ha-ha! I remember that not too long ago Howard Stringer was bragging about his multibillion cash cow, $piderman. Adding a “few” more Marvel misfits to Sony’s stable would have been one of the best business moves by Sony in a while.
Just a little nitpicking here:
Steve Jobs (Chairman of the Boards for both Disney and Apple) now owns Marvel. Who wants to speculate more about Marvel Comics on iTunes now?

It looks like the author slightly overestimated Jobs’ role in Disney’s corporate structure. Steve Jobs has a seat on Disney’s board of directors, and he is Disney’s largest shareholder by far, but since 2007John E. Pepper, Jr. is filling the shoes of Disney’s Chairman of the Board.

There was actually a GARGOYLES comic book not that long ago, by the original author, Greg Weisman. It wasn’t a Marvel comic, though. Weisman was irked at the way Disney handled the series years ago, but now that they have new people on top, and have shown better care of Pixar and other properties, he might reconsider. After all, who could’ve foreseen Disney turning one of their oldest properties- the Pirates of the Caribbean ride- into such a movie hit?

Wolverine, commenting on the merger, said, “I’m the best there is at what I do, and what I do is make people money against all standards of narrative decency.”

DC comics, in an attempt not to be left behind by the Marvel/Disney merger, has made some special announcements of its own:

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2009/09/dc-entertainment-what-we-know-so-far/

In short: Time/Warner has created “DC Entertainment”, a company that sits above the comics but below T/W. Its purpose is to choose which DC characters to develop for other media, and how.

To this I say: ABOUT TIME! DC has had lots of projects (like the Wonder Woman and SHAZAM movies) in production limbo for years, while Marvel kept making the big bucks with their movies. Hopefully now we’ll see more DC-related stuff (in fact, the most recent Batman videogame sold like 2 million copies in two weeks.) Other (rumored) movies include Green Lantern and The Flash.