Direct Quotation Without Addition: Spam?

Originally posted by Steve
Buh, I know this is gonna sound ironic, but…
Why is it that everything that goes on around here is bitched about? Are people that goddamned bored?

Ironic/hypocritical or not, you’re quite right. Pissing and moaning about a fucking quote that you don’t like it quite pathetic, but that’s just the aggressive side of me speaking. Dammit, if you don’t like something don’t look at it. or better yet, go get a hobby. (getting quite mad with all the nit picking you see :P)

The definition of irony; we’re bitching about bitching now.

I think this is a trolling thread (or whatever you call it, I think I mispelled) and therefore should be closed.

I didn’t start this thread to troll anybody, nor did I make any trollish remarks. I would think it unfair for this thread to be closed because of the inflammitory comments of a few other immature people.

Originally posted by Ren
I think this is a trolling thread (or whatever you call it, I think I mispelled) and therefore should be closed.

^ I second that!

This is not a trolling thread as it was not created to cause problems or to incite flames.

(Also: CC is listening to Epiphany! !!! ! lav :3)

Originally posted by Cybercompost
I didn’t start this thread to troll anybody, nor did I make any trollish remarks. I would think it unfair for this thread to be closed because of the inflammitory comments of a few other immature people.

namely me.

Personally I don’t mind the quote posts. I think they just show how somebody feels about something. Yeah, it can be considered lazy, but that person would probably get the same thing accross if they wrote somethig original.

I think people who aren’t mods or admins shouldn’t be allowed to say whether a thread should be closed or not.

But that’s just me, being as you have no power when it comes down to it, that and you’re just bitching.

There’s so much I’d like to reply but I just can’t put it into words. So yeah.
Giza, I don’t know which rocks more- your avvie or your title. ^^;
And am I the only one who thinks that this “only mods say when threads should be closed” or when the sig is too large AND people who behave like mods is kinda stupid? I mean… People can always have requests to shorten sigs or close threads, it’s their goddamn right. And if let’s say a new person does something against the rules which actually isn’t a big deal and a forum member (non-mod/admin) points it out nicely (NICELY!), where’s the problem? And yes, I don’t say that at the other side people should walk around judging others or whatever, just maybe give advice occasionally…
Ah scrap that, I just realized I don’t make much sense :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Dragon Tear
There’s so much I’d like to reply but I just can’t put it into words. So yeah.
Giza, I don’t know which rocks more- your avvie or your title. ^^;

Aww…I feel so special.
You also bring up good points Dragon Tear.

Originally posted by Dragon Tear
And am I the only one who thinks that this “only mods say when threads should be closed” or when the sig is too large AND people who behave like mods is kinda stupid? I mean… People can always have requests to shorten sigs or close threads, it’s their goddamn right. And if let’s say a new person does something against the rules which actually isn’t a big deal and a forum member (non-mod/admin) points it out nicely (NICELY!), where’s the problem? And yes, I don’t say that at the other side people should walk around judging others or whatever, just maybe give advice occasionally…
Well, the problem is twofold. For one, you guys aren’t responsible for enforcing our rules. Thus, a conflict could arise where one of you guys say something is fine, but then a mod doesn’t, or vice versa. It could be confusing, especially since often it takes a while for users to know who the mods and admins are. The other issue with that is often enough the sort of citizen-enforcement you want turns rather nasty, or can become that way. Our mods’ and admins’ behavior is monitored more strictly so they are expected to deliver messages and suggestions about the rules more respectfully.

Also DT, you shouldn’t say things like “what I just said doesn’t make sense,” since what most people say does make sense, and furthermore you’re just discrediting your own (legitimate) argument needlessly. That goes for any of you (unless you’re just posting nonsense :P).

Originally posted by Merlin
. It could be confusing, especially since often it takes a while for users to know who the mods and admins are.

Prehaps the mods and admins should get a Glow effect around there name so people will know if they are mods/admins.
I have no idea who many of the mods/admins are.

Originally posted by Gizamaluke
Prehaps the mods and admins should get a Glow effect around there name so people will know if they are mods/admins.
I have no idea who many of the mods/admins are.

Here

Still a glow effect would be cool.

you could somehow hack up vbb to make a user close his own thread if a question gets answered/major derailment/prevent “necromancy.”

I haven’t been here in a while so what is this forum term known as “necromancy?”

I believe posting on a thread more than a month old.

Necroposting is posting in a thread that is already abandoned (no people posting in it for quite some time). There is no rule that says how much time it takes for a thread to be considered old enough for posting in it to be considered necroposting, so you should use some sense when you go looking at non-fresh stuff.

Ahkeeyuu: way less than a month. A thread may die in less than a week after abandoned.

Meh. I just gave a rough idea.

Originally posted by Merlin
Well, the problem is twofold. For one, you guys aren’t responsible for enforcing our rules. Thus, a conflict could arise where one of you guys say something is fine, but then a mod doesn’t, or vice versa. It could be confusing, especially since often it takes a while for users to know who the mods and admins are. The other issue with that is often enough the sort of citizen-enforcement you want turns rather nasty, or can become that way. Our mods’ and admins’ behavior is monitored more strictly so they are expected to deliver messages and suggestions about the rules more respectfully.

I see your point here. However, I’d like to ask a couple of questions about it.

1. What would you like for us as members to do when someone annoys the crap out of us as a community? I hate to use a scapegoat (and I apologize in advance), but let’s take Uriel’s signature for example. I think I can safely say that the majority of people who come here wanted to gouge their eyes out at the sight of it, and for other people it was more than that because of slowing down page loading because of slower Internet connections. Now, are we just supposed to sit around and think to ourselves, "No, I can’t say anything because the mods and admins don’t want us using the citizen arrest " and then just sit around hoping someone will eventually do something? Would you rather us PM MB issues to a mod or an admin (and then end up flooding PM boxes, lol)? I trust that the members of the community would not abuse this concept, hint hint people.

(For this example, I also know that one can turn off sig viewing, but I think it’s a shame for people who haven’t done anything offending to be the ones to compromise more.)

1. Question 1 led into question 2, which is this in a roundabout way - I think that the majority of posters on this board are at least relatively responsible when it comes to their behavior here. I also think that for the type of community that we are, it’s nice to see so much interaction between administration and general members. Now, when it comes to these issues we’ve been discussing, I for one would like to know not the exact mechanics and arguments behind what’s being done about something (since that’s for staff, and I respect that as non-staff) but at least that an issue in question is being addressed. I don’t know if you as admins want to let us in on just that little bit, or if other people here feel the same way that I do, but knowing that the administration is aware of an issue and that someone is on the case would make me and probably at least a couple of other people happy.

I’ve been wondering about these things for a while. As a member, I want other people to come here and to enjoy themselves, but at the same time I don’t want ignorant people to do the wrong thing. I can’t say anything to them to encourage them to change if needed, and then when these people sit unaware they unwittingly turn regular members off, some of whom are not as forgiving as others. Our community still grows and new members keep sticking around, as we haven’t choked that off yet, but then we get older members who stop coming for reasons unrelated to real life. I don’t want that for them.