Defining Moments

I got lotsa defining moments~

There’s this time when I had to hand in an assignment but there was just no way to complete it on time, I asked my best friend to give his rough copy to me so that I have something to hand in and I can at least get some marks.

Two weeks later, when we both got our assignments back, my best friend got 99% on his assignment whereas I got perfect off his rough copy. He grabbed his rough copy off my hand and told the teacher that I stole it from him. Soon after, the rumor spread and eventually all my teachers had a bad impression of me. As if that was not bad enough, my best friend told all my classmates that there is no way that I can write like him, and he forced me to write a sample of my hand writings in front of everyone to prove that.

Evere since that incident, I had a totally different perspective on the value of friendship. I can’t believe that the friend that I grew up with would do something like that just to get one more lousy percent to get perfect on his assignment.

Every moment is a defining moment, as a butterfly in Sahara can create a tornado in the Pasific.
Chaos.

I’m not sure really, and it is my belief that any moment can be as defining as the next. So I’m not going to present you with any at all.

There was a moment in September or November or whatever of my sophomore year, I was standing in front of a mirror and it was the first time I seriously considered, “hey, you know? Doing perfectly in school might not be worth the trouble.” It’s been both uphill and downhill from there. For instance, I’ve made more friends, but conversely I’m no longer able to just sit down and do homework for like, hours on end. It kinda sucks because school was so easy back then, but now it’s considerably more work. But eh. So it goes. Just gotta hold on till the end of the year.

I dunno. My “defining moments” aren’t necessarily connected with actions - rather the actions occur and then a little bit later I seriously think about them. And I guess…yeah, every moment is a defining moment, but there are a finite amount of times when you just step back and look at everything, and then make a decision about what it all means, and what you should do as a result. And those moments are what I see as “defining moments.” That definition doesn’t help at all with college essays though, “What was a defining moment in your life?” “Well there was this time I was just standing in my bathroom, and a thought struck me…”

-Mazrim Taim

Originally posted by |Damage|
we go through that almost everyday,
every small choice we make could have a huge impact on your entire life

Chaos Theory…

The day I got a NES. From that day on, I became obsessed with video games, which made me the person I am today.

The closest thing I’ve had to a defining moment was the time I ran away screaming in terror from a rampaging vacuum cleaner. True story. Thing started taking in too much power, its lights got brighter, got a whole lot louder, and started to pump out smoke. It triggered something in me and I was left victim to adrenaline. Ran/jumped/launched screaming from the room with no control over my own actions.

Well, that’s one more emotion checked off. It’s educational to feel the extremes of things, I think - pleasure, pain, joy, terror. I feel kind of bad that I reached one of those extremes through something as corny as a powersurging vacuum cleaner from which I was in no real danger, and really wasn’t doing anything frightening.

Originally posted by RoguePaladinTrian
[b]The closest thing I’ve had to a defining moment was the time I ran away screaming in terror from a rampaging vacuum cleaner. True story. Thing started taking in too much power, its lights got brighter, got a whole lot louder, and started to pump out smoke. It triggered something in me and I was left victim to adrenaline. Ran/jumped/launched screaming from the room with no control over my own actions.

Well, that’s one more emotion checked off. It’s educational to feel the extremes of things, I think - pleasure, pain, joy, terror. I feel kind of bad that I reached one of those extremes through something as corny as a powersurging vacuum cleaner from which I was in no real danger, and really wasn’t doing anything frightening. [/b]

coughhallucinationcough
So, out of curiousity, how does a fleeing from a rabid vacuum cleaner define your life? Or more accurately, how does experiencing a pure emotion define it?

Probably in the 7th grade. I realized that trying too hard will get you nowhere, and I guess i just found myself. Idunno.

The day I stopped giving a shit.

Originally posted by demigod
coughhallucinationcough
So, out of curiousity, how does a fleeing from a rabid vacuum cleaner define your life? Or more accurately, how does experiencing a pure emotion define it?

Experience an extreme emotion provides something to reference to when experiencing others. Since fleeing in terror from a vacuum cleaner (so…corny…) I haven’t been so much as spooked by anything else since. In somewhat the same way, the worst pain I ever experienced involved a stomach virus, so whenever I experience pain now it’s always in respect to that event. Given that, for example when I stabbed myself in the palm of my hand separating frozen hamburgers with a steak knife (funny story about that…I’d just gotten back from a week-long canoe trip during which I’d suffered no injury, which was odd considering the conditions), I really didn’t think it hurt much because I automatically compared it to the stomach virus ordeal.

It’s a little odd, I think, but that’s just how I work.

A few months ago, when I quit the school of veterynary medicine. I’m going for human medicine. I wanna be a neurologist.

Oh! Oh! I had a Defining Moment a few hours ago! I watched the little voices in my mind that bitched that I should do my homework shrivel up and die, and I realized that now I don’t care at all about high school. There is now NO part of me that cares about how well I do well at school. I capped that uncaring by writing a shitty paper in 20 minutes with the last page (bibliography) looking like this:

"BIBLIOGRAPHY

DIDDLY SQUAT

Believe it or not, all this information came from a tribe of intergalactic spider monkeys who materialized in my room late Saturday evening when I was internally hemorrhaging thinking about how I had squandered my opportunity to research at the library.  It’s the truth, they must have heard my mental intergalactic cries for help, and verbally provided me with all the raw information I needed.  I asked them what I should do for the bibliography, but they told me to just be creative.  So here I am.  And here it is.

A Note: I had a revelation today, and realized I didn’t actually care about any schoolwork anymore. I’m truly sorry for the negative effects this is gonna have on our relationship, and I promise I’ll make it up to you, Mr. Poon. I’ll buy you a pizza or something, okay? Yeah."

This school year suddenly doesn’t seem like it’ll be so bad. :slight_smile:

-Mazrim Taim

I faced a great “time of change” around this time last month. I call it the end of the “Age of Innocence”. I learned that there is still hope for humanity of the female race, and that now because I know this, I have a depressant psychological mexican ninja after my head.

No joke.

What in Billy Blazes are you talking about, Kagato? Please explain.

Well, since you asked…

College has been…one hell of a whole new experinece for me. For one thing, it’s not home. And that’s a good thing. I was bored of everything, I was angry because I felt I was being held back from my future, and I was depressed. 'Cause I had no significant other in my life. I’ve had no real girlfriend to speak of (angst, lament, boo hoo, woe is me, FUCK THAT!). That was only a slight problem, 'cause I’ve learned to live with it, yeah? Every girl I tried to get with always either faltered out or came to a screeching halt. So bah.

Well, back to college. Life goes on anew, and then that life goes normally. I wasn’t bored. I felt I was using my potential. And I was still looking for that significant other. There were a number of women-friends I made who I couldn’ve gotten to know, but didn’t want to rush, yeah? Well… The Southerners (Our Infamous Marching Band. Whole 'nother bragging rights story) have this tradition where we all hold arms and sing “I’ll Fly Away” and lean back and shout the part “IN THE MORRRNINGGG!”. You’d have to be there to appreciate it. Well, we dismissed quite suddenly one day, and I was looking for a arm-partner. I saw this flute player who I had my eye on just a bit, so we held arms and sang n’shit, except she had one HELL of a voice, I’ll tell you that. Well, I started to get interested, to say the least.

Fast fowarding quite a lot past other details which would take too much time and wouldn’t quite catch the majority of ya’lls interest, I’ll skip to about…this time last month

Over this time, we’ve gotten to be REALLY good friends. We had so much shit in common and knew some of the rarest stuff. (She knows who the Butthole Surfers are, she’s down with Metallica, she reads TERRY PRACHETT! TERRY PRACHETT!!! etc.) During this time, I really started to fall in love. Not infatuation, but love a.k.a. >>I actually saw a thread of hope for the humanity of all living females/That there was a decent woman walking the face of the earth<< Well, that day during Jazz Practice, the director of bands came in and said that practice was canceled that evening and to spread the word. So you know what I was thinking. I went down to her dorm, and left a note (she was out of town), and left my number in case she wanted to call (which was THE most crucial thing I did) and went back to my room. Hour later, she called, we talked. Then there was the ever dreaded dramatic pause of emptyness where nothing but interesting and useful time drains. I had THAT happen WAY too many times. So I braved the gap. “So…what’re you doing later on tonight?” “Nothing really”. “Want to come over?” “And do what, dude? Not to be mean, but you ain’t got SHIT in your room” “AH…gotta point”. “You…wanna come over?” “Sure. Be there in a minute” “kthnxbai” click

Or that’s how it kinda was… Anyways, I came over and brung over some CD’s n’shit. We sat on her computer chair and just listened to music and this and that (ICP mostly, if you’re interested) Afterwards, I put in the latest CD I burnt (Had a bunch of Pillows stuff in it, and a couple of renditions of “Phantom of the Opera.” I put that in there 'cause that’s our show opener) Well, she opened up her big-assed book of Mythology. Had some egyption stuff, celtic, and my favorite, NORSE! So we spent a good hour or so just looking through a Norse mythology book, talking about swords n’shit, and saying how cool it would be to be Thor and everytime you farted you shot lightening out of your arse. …ok that was my idea, BUT SHE LAUGHEd!!!

Getting back on track, I got up, and she started tickling me. Well, afterwards we started wrestling. Well, after about…I dunno…five…ten minutes, I had her pinned for the count. Then I started laughing…fast foward through this bit, that’s private.

Then at midnight, we said goodnight, knowing a great deal more about eachother and actually letting eachother know how we felt about the other. That, was the happiest I’ve ever felt. And I hardly ever feel happy, just satisfied. The rest of the week was like that. Friday, we went out as friends to a restraunt and just hanging around at the mall. No dating thing. Reason being, she had been seperated from this guy for two months now 'cause her Ex wouldn’t leave her alone, and he started to get suspicious. Lack of trust, really, everyone knows. He just needed “time to heal” >_< Well, when she came back to her room that night (I didn’t know until the next day, we had Exhibition in Harrolson Co. GA), that her ex called, and basically shat a brick over it. He started saying shit like “I want you out of my life forever”. She didn’t want that, because she doesn’t want anyone out of her life forever, even her ex. (No, not in that way, I know what you’re thinking about). Well, he started getting demanding like "If you still want to be with me, you have to ditch this other guy i.e. - me for good. No talking, no looking, no mentioning, blah) She was REALLY depressed about this, so was I.

fastfowarding some more

Now for a summary, I learned he’s a forensic scientsist/psycology major with a knack to put both to good use. He’s also a martial arts EXPERT (i’ve heard from many people about his skillz), swords master, and all this deadly shit (no gun skills, thankfully…) and that he BETTER not meet me. The girl said that I should avoid any kind of confrontation because it would end ‘badly’. I later learned that this meant he might try and kill me on the spot. With me being 18 and her 21, this doesn’t improve matters in his eyes. (fuck that, I belive age is no factor, to an extent) Frankly, I would like to see him try. If I go down, she’ll know who did it. Besides, I need to get my ass kicked. I need to learn what it’s like again.

Now the situation is, me and the girl are actually a LOT closer than what we were a month ago, we e-mail eachother constantly keeping in touch, and from the advice I asked from my friends, things might work out. She’s been asking advice and getting more or less same and/or different things. I told her, “I love you, but if you want to put some sort of finality behind this, you need to communicate more rather than having all this shit dangle above you. Either continue, or end it.”, and that’s the plan thus far. She feels she needs to at least “try” to say she did. If it doesn’t work out, she’ll have me, which I told her so. That made her feel better. That, and the death threats have slowed down to a halt.

…ok, I bet all of that did NOT make a lick of sense. I know there’s a lot of crucial detail which I forgot to put it, but perhaps that’ll explain why>>>

I faced a great “time of change” around this time last month. I call it the end of the “Age of Innocence”. I learned that there is still hope for humanity of the female race, and that now because I know this, I have a depressant psychological mexican ninja after my head.

So there.

Mazrim, if I become a writer, you’re going to be a character in one of my novels :stuck_out_tongue: But, instead of saying intergalactic space monkeys visited you, you should’ve said Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, then Mr. Poon would’ve been all, “oh sh!tt dawg, that’s a Bowie album!! You r teh rawk. A+” :stuck_out_tongue:

I can say with 85% certainty that the direction with which I view life changed dramatically on the day of high school graduation. I was the salutatorian (second place in the class), and thus I had to give a speech. The speech in and of itself was rather mediocre in reflection, but considering the two earlier drafts I had written it was a much better final product (my earlier drafts were a lot more bitter). Anyway, the speech isn’t important, I said it, it was ok, and I ended with a badass dual-movie quote that garnered an unexpected barrage of exuberant applause, so yeah. Anyway, I spoke first, the third place in the class was supposed to go next, and the valedictorian was to go last. The girl who finished 3rd had been one of my better friends in high school (although I didn’t really have any good friends until college), but in any event, she was real nervous and crap about having to give her speech. Plus my speech got a lot of cheering and clapping and stuff, so it puts more pressure on the next person. So, since it was my job to introduce her, I was getting ready to just say “and here’s so and so” and whatever, sort of basic. But, I dunno what, but something sort of happened I guess. I paused, and said instead something like, “and now it is my privelige to introduce the next speaker, and my good friend, blahblah.” It didn’t matter much to me when I said it, and in writing it here it sounds kinda lame, but over time I’ve sort of picked that moment as the epicenter where my character and ways of dealing with other people and life in general began to shift; especially when her mother told me later that day how much that meant and how she would never forget how I introduced her daughter or something. Eh, the moral of the story is, it doesn’t take all that much work to be just a little bit nicer to people, and it usually means a lot to them, so why not just do it.

Nice. Very nice.