Dark Cloud

Because I was bored, I recently picked up Dark Cloud for $8. Now, I’ve played the game before and got a decent ways in, but I’m having an unusual problem. I’m still in the first area and recruited Xiao, and now I want to get her a weapon that doesn’t suck before the boss fight.

I’ve logged about 14 hours so far running through the dungeon repeatedly trying to get a new slingshot, but have only found swords for Toan. 2 Bone rapiers, 3 Shamshirs, 1 Baselard, and 5+ Gladii. Is there a trick to making the weapon chest contain a certain character’s weapon, or am I just getting screwed by bad luck?

(The first time I played the game I got Xiao a Bandit Slingshot within two levels).

It’s been ahile since I’ve played the game, but you upgrade the weapons with the the stuff you find. The upgrades are better than the new weapons you’ll find. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to make sure your weapons NEVER break. If they break, you’ve pretty much lost all your work and powering up of your characters.

I know how to upgrade weapons, but the default weapons don’t upgrade into new weapons, and I’ll be damned if I spend that much time building the wooden slingshot into a practical weapon.

Just ignore her. She’s completely useless in every way. Forget she even exists.

Considering that in attempting to find Xiao a weapon, I already built one of Toan’s strong enough to kill a dragon in two hits, I know this, but I have an inexplicable want to have some vague sense of balanced characters, and I like the novelty of a talking slingshot. Finding only weapons Toan is pissing me off.

Toan is the only one you really need. The other charcters you only need for their special abilities to get through the dungeons.

Truism indeed. Only time I ever used anyone else was when I was in a character-specific level, and against the end boss when you actually do need long range… and the other two long-rangers are far, far better at it than Xiao. And Toan is far better at melee combat than the other two melee fighters. Blasted company needed to work on balancing things a bit more :stuck_out_tongue:

Steve was pretty neat for a bit though.

That wasn’t a truism. Let’s not throw that word around lightly.

tru·ism /ˈtruɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[troo-iz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
a self-evident, obvious truth.

Seems like one to me :stuck_out_tongue:

Whether or not I NEED Xiao is completely besides my point. I’ve managed to pick up about 20 random weapons so far, and all were for Toan. How do I get one that isn’t for him?

Even the game knows everyone else is useless :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, as far as I know it’s all luck…

Try the floor where you can’t use Toan and have to use Xiao. I seem to remember that it’s easier to find a better weapon for her on that one.

Self-evident?

Trust me, once you get the genie girl, you’ll never want to play anyone else.

I think this whole thread serves to explain why Monica in Dark Chronicle is so much better than Max.

Well just try using anybody else… maybe it was just the way I played the game but by the time I reached Dark Heaven Castle, my Toan was dealing out 20 times as much damage as anyone else. :stuck_out_tongue: Why should I spend 10 minutes trying to kill one monster when I can do the same in 2 hits? Fuck balancing. :stuck_out_tongue:

This game was a pain in the butt, but that fixed in Dark Cloud 2. Weapons breaking and thrist guage…c’mon.