Dance Music

Maybe you should read what I said. I didn’t say Chicago was a bad town to be a DJ in. I said Chicago was a bad town to buy records in. I’ve been to all the record stores. There are a few decent ones, Grammaphone in particular is awesome, but a lot of them just have very poor selection. But even though there might be a hundred record stores here, my point was that not a single one of them compared to the selection I found at the single store in Cologne. Also notice I said that I DJ electro/techno/minimal stuff, not house or hip-hop, which is what a LOT of the chicago area stores cater to (Dr Wax, a famous record store only a couple blocks from where I used to live) was humongous, but carried almost exclusively house and hip-hop. Anyway, as far as DJing itself goes, Chicago is actually very good…I would say I even prefer the scene to what I’ve heard from LA, and at least on par with NYC. But we get a lot of DJs who come in here from other parts of the country/world, and as far as techno DJs are concerned, Chicago has very few residents.

But even though there might be a hundred record stores here, my point was that not a single one of them compared to the selection I found at the single store in Cologne.

Yes. I know. The point is, its a rhetorical statement. Good record stores in Europe? No shit? I’m sure there are record stores in Idaho that feauture tejano and cumbia. But if you really want the stuff, you will need to come to the border states. Really, you don’t know how silly it sounds that you say Chicago sucks compared to Europe. I’m pretty sure you can find better deals on Mercedes there, as well as have an easier time finding someone who can speak French. Since you’re a DJ, you already know dance music is way bigger in Europe than in the States. Its only natural that they would have better dance music record stores. I’m positive that Mexico City record stores will have a greater access to tejano and cumbia than the ones in the Southwest, but that doesn’t mean the ones in the Southwest suck.

If you’re interested in dance music, and you’re running itunes (much safer than limewire or those russian sites, and it supports the artists who make the music)

check this link – the “euro club hits” series:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearchResults?albumTerm=Euro+Club+Hits+Vol+

I still like the pennyfarthing.

Soldieroffortune makes no sense. If a store is good because of its pricing and selection, if you remove the selection, what are you left with? If a store has no selection, by definition, it sucks.

Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black.