Computer issue

I thought that maybe this would be a good place to ask for help.

For some reason unknown to me (since I haven’t changed anything on my computer), my USB root hub is not functioning properly. The device manager says that the root hub is either not present, not working properly, or does not have the proper driver installed (it also says this is a code 10 error, which is jibberish to me). I’ve tried updating the driver, but the messages I get say that the driver I currently have is fine.

Could someone help me figure out how to fix this?

If you are trying to reinstall from the driver that comes with your system, I suggest getting the driver from somewhere else. Also, try to uninstall it before you use the installer.

Uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks for the help. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but I still have the same issue.

Did it stop working all of a sudden? Like poof?

I can’t pinpoint exactly when it stopped functioning. Once I was going to play a game using my controller, and my controller was dead. Upon investigating, I found that my computer wasn’t seeing my controller because the root hub wasn’t working. I don’t really know much more than that.

Does anyone else use the PC? Maybe they have installed something that messed up the usb root hub? An usb device maybe?

No one else uses my computer except on very rare occasions. I’ll check though.

Okay, maybe this did it. Somehow a USB stick drive is installed on my PC. I think a friend of mine did that.

OOhh yyeeahh! Even though this may be useless, that may be it. When I had just installed this computer, I was unaware it already had an ethernet crd isntalled on it and put the other one in, but… my computer could only start in safe mode… so…bleh… maybe it’s not helpful… but usually things can coincide and create problems like that…

That might just be the problem. Can you remove it? If that doesn’t work, the only solution I can come up with is formatting and reinstalling. I don’t dwabble alot in usb devices though, so you’d want to ask someone with more competance than me first.