Charlemagnes Rebirth (read this or I'll put a cigarette out on YOUR DAMN EYE!)

Originally posted by Sorcerer
I thought the Pope announced him the “Holy” Roman Emperor when he “knighted” him, or signed his ascension or whatever?

The pope crowned him Emperor of the Romans on December 25, 800 C.E. The word holy was not in the title at all. All of the chronicles agree on that. I can give you the evidence in quotes from them, if you really want (I have copies).

Welcome back, Charlie. I hope this means you’ll be less crabby and more fun. Like the old days.
:mwahaha: :moogle: :hyperven: :runaway: :suckah: :wave:

No proof is needed, I was just wondering, since that was what my teacher told me, and it made sense, the sounds like something a grateful pope would do.

Didn’t he get crowned after defending the pope from a group of germanic invasionary forces or something?

can I get burnt with a cigar anyways? :smiley:

No proof is needed, I was just wondering, since that was what my teacher told me, and it made sense, the sounds like something a grateful pope would do.

Was Pope Leo III grateful? Perhaps. But some historians believe (and so I do) that the pope purposefully crowned Charlemagne so to force him to accept greater obligation to Rome (and to the papacy as well). The city of Rome was torn between various rival factions of noblemen at that time, and the pope was frequently caught in the midst thereof. Having the most powerful monarch in western Europe as friend would discourage his rivals from opposing him.

Some chronicles say that Charlemagne was not pleased with what the pope had done and would not have entered the cathedral to be blessed by the pope if he had known what the pope was going to do (especially Einhard’s Life Of Charlemagne).

Didn’t he get crowned after defending the pope from a group of germanic invasionary forces or something?

Pope Leo fled from Rome to Charlemagne because of his rivals in Rome, which some chronicles and documents claim actually captured and tortured him before he fled the city. The pope persuaded Charlemagne to come to Rome and help him re-establish his authority over the city.

Perhaps we should continue this conversation elsewhere if you wanted to keep discussing it, Sorc. I do not want to ruin Charlemagne’s thread.

imagines our Charlemagne being crowned by the pope
:eek:

Originally posted by Sir Percival

imagines our Charlemagne being crowned by the pope
:eek:

I’m with you.

Just for the record, I didnt want to be king of anything. It was more like a “Lets put this guy in charge, so when everything gets fucked up, he’s to blame” type of thing.

Interesting… once I changed my name, I actually started feeling nicer… ponders the affects of name changing on the human psyche

I dont really think any further discussion is required, but this was fun, history rules.

However, by saying “by a grateful pope” I was actually trying to imply that he was merely manipulating Charlemagne by giving him a title.

I love the ironic title Charlemagne.

Heh. I had a Shadowrun character who put his cigarrette out on someone’s eye and killed them somehow (it rolled that way). Silly character. :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Charlemagne
[b]Just for the record, I didnt want to be king of anything. It was more like a “Lets put this guy in charge, so when everything gets fucked up, he’s to blame” type of thing.

Interesting… once I changed my name, I actually started feeling nicer… ponders the affects of name changing on the human psyche [/b]

believe me, it helps. It’s kinda like you’re getting a fresh start, or something. I know whenever I get a new name to get peopel to call me, I get a slightly different personality.

Charlemagne is the Holy King of Sarcasmia!