Character names

Originally posted by ahkeeyuu
Gau: Gay
Quina: Fatass
[/spoiler]

DIE.

And secondly: Do you know much much fun it is to name all of your characters Cloud in FF7?

And FF8:

Pärsky (Finnish Translation of Squall) & Riina (Rinoa. Bla.) I wanted them to sound odd. Of course, I also prefer to call Cloud and Squall “Tuhnu” which kinda mean “Weakling”… especially on my lowlevel games >:)

Originally posted by Mabatsekker

And secondly: Do you know much much fun it is to name all of your characters Cloud in FF7?

I named Cloud “Zack” and Tifa “Jenova” in my friends game. It was the first time he played the game through so he was REALLY confused.

Originally posted by PanamaJack
I named Cloud “Zack” and Tifa “Jenova” in my friends game. It was the first time he played the game through so he was REALLY confused.

:hahaha; :hahaha; :hahaha;
Thats such a good idea!

I sometimes give characters names froms myths, legends and literature or names which are archaic, especially Celtic or Germanic ones. I usually use my own name for a lead male character, or Percy (when there are fewer than eight spaces) or Perc (when there are only four).

Men: Sigurd, Cadmon, Kenelm, Eadric, Gareth, Anselm, Tancred, Tristram, Griflet, Telamond, Clovis, Terwin, Lothar,

Women: Gwendolyn, Estrild, Rhiannon, Eilonwy, Gudrun, Brunhilde, Blanche, Gonreil

If a character has an obviously non-caucasian ethnicity, I usually give him or her a name from what I think his or her culture is or one that is close. For instance, I once named Poo ‘Utaki’.

Originally posted by Ivan
I was (very) briefly considering naming Frog “Kermit”. As for the name “Crono”, though, I really think the developers were just playing fill in the blank. First of all, the notion of time has no particular significance to the character at the start of the game. And second, while the game is about time travel, there’s nothing of the notion that inherently relates to the character Crono - he’s just along for the ride.

No, nothing in Chrono Trigger was that shallow. Do you remember when Gaspar was describing the Chrono Trigger? He said this:

Let us call that the Chrono Trigger. It is pure potential. By unleashing a specific course of events, it can have a powerful effect on time.

He is talking about the Egg, but simultaneously, players will think of Crono because he shares its name (in the Japanese, he and the egg were spelled the same, Kurono). Looking back, who started the chain of events that allowed time to be changed? Crono. If he hadn’t met Marle, she never would have tried Lucca’s machine and been sent back in time. If he had decided not to go back and rescue her, Leene would have died. When, in the future, Lucca asks Crono whether they should attempt to save time, he decides that they will. He triggers everything. That’s why his friends <i>need</i> to bring him back to life; it’s one of the quests necessary for saving the world. If you don’t, you won’t get the happy ending. Crono is different than, say, Magus; time can be saved in the right way whether or not he’s alive. Nearly every major plot point shows that time revolves around Crono. The whole game revolves around Crono.

Xwing1056

Well, Crono and that big jerk Lavos.

Lavos, yes. The Entity too.

Xwing1056

There are two or three solid theories about who “The Entity” was. But lets stop here before we start discussing Chrono Trigger/Cross and I get brain cancer.

If you rename Edgar, does he still use the anagram Gerad in the world of ruin?

Originally posted by Alice

Yes. He never explains that Gerad is an anagram so he still uses that name.

Originally posted by Alice

I think so. At least, I don’t remember anything weird like an anagram of “Luthel”.

I usually just leave the name defaults. If its blank, I’ll think up something then. Or if the original name is one i couldn’t stand to play with (butz comes to mind)

I named Aeries “Deadbeat”. It was quite humorus.

Originally posted by Sorcerer
I named Aeries “Deadbeat”. It was quite humorus.

She is. God she sucked. She just stood in battle, waved her little stick around a few times then died. Good riddance.

I always use the default names they give you. Unless of course they don’t give you one in that case I use Ness. Just because Ness is a awesome name. :cool:

I leave the defaults on, usually.

Unless I just feel like blazing through the game and just want to do wierd shit like that.

I creamed my jeans when I found the “rename EVERYONE code in Shining Force.” It was one of the few RPG’s I’ve had, and I played that game to DEATH it wasn’t funny.

I usually give the main character my name and leave the others as they are, except for red(whatever the number is) in FFVII, I named him fido

I always use default names, but sometimes I like to mess around.

In FF7, I can NOT be the only person to name Barret Mr. T. Also, I once heard about this dude who named everyone Sephiroth…I’ll bet THAT was interesting. :hahaha;

And as a ceretain game masta has taught me, it’s fun to rename useless characters.

“Quief wondering…what Quief’s name mean?”

:mwahaha:

I ALWAYS rename my main Hero Terra, don’t ask me why- and the main chick “Mina”. With FF6 it became quite messy, though.

Terra- Mina
Celes- Sina
Locke- Terra
Edgar- Figaro (couldn’t resist)
Sabin- Edgar
Gau- Green :stuck_out_tongue:

Chrono Trigger:
Fun. When I played it the first time, I played it together with my friend, so we called Chrono Sica, our two names merged. Then, we wanted to rename Lucca (c’mon, that’s a boy’s name) but my friend screwed up and accidently called her “CBSU”. She just hit submit though, because we thought she would just appear once or twice more in the game anyway…
Well, you know the rest. First we were deeply annoyed, but then we got so used to that name that when we started to play FF8 together we called Ifrit CBSU ^^;
Oh yeah, and we didn’t like Marle at first (She was so unsympathic) so we called her Sally :stuck_out_tongue: Unfortunately, “Sally” and “CBSU” follwed us through the rest of the game oO; Smooth. :thud:

And furthermore, when I played FF8:
Squall- Cloud (I love to mix games :P)
Rinoa- Megaera (I really love that name now :slight_smile: C’mon, Rinoa sounds SO much like Rhino oO;)