Captain America is Dead

I’ll add on 50 GP that they say he didn’t really die at all

Killmore is the only one who is man enough to bet real money.

Indeed. How much is 50 rupees anyway?

If we’re talking Sri Lankan Rupees, then it’s about 54 cents. :stuck_out_tongue: Indian Rupees, about $1.32.

Hylian Rupees though, which I think is what he was betting… who knows?

I’m more annoyed at the way Marvel strongly denied that Captain America was going to die at the end of the Civil War series, only to have him killed immediatelly thereafter. Wotta cheap trick. :ark:

Just goes to show he’s not quite dead, he’s just Comic Book Dead.

They’ve already placed (and subsequently denied, when everyone started making fun of them for it), the seeds of denial in something said to Spiderman.
I’ll take long odds, but wagering against him coming back is just stupid.

Did Marvel develop some kind of personal vendetta against Captain America? First they had him surrender, then they had a reporter insult him, now they SHOT him.

As for my opinion on Civil War itself, see 984’s post.

I’d say the guy was most likely one of their heartstones, since he’s been around since WWII.

Political statement like a FOX!

I think Captain America will be gone for longer than you guys are giving Marvel credit for. Or if not Captain America (maybe the Punisher takes on the mask or something?) then at least Steve Rogers is gone for a while.

I think people shouldn’t compare it to the Superman mess simply because Captain America isn’t nearly as popular a character. Plus DC hyped the events leading to his death, and hyped the events after it, whereas here Marvel kept the news under lid until practically the day the issue shipped, which caused a lot of retailers consternation. The closest comparison would be someone like Spider-Man. I feel like Captain America was a rather stock, backgroundy type character until Millar and Brubaker revived his persona in the Ultimates and the Captain America reboot.

Civil War was fucking brilliant, btw.

That’s because you lost all the slaves that worked on your cotton plantation!

On tonight’s episode of the Colbert Report Mavel gave Cap’s Shield to Colbert. Now he just needs Magneto’s Helmet, a pair of taking Hulk Gloves, a deck of Magic the Gathering trading cards, and a Sword from the Lord of the Rings still contained in it’s original box and he’ll be ready to fight off any intruders that dare to intrude on his show.

Civil War was fucking brilliant, btw.
Um, no it wasn’t, Merl, unless you mean strictly in a personal taste sense. As a writer (not to mention a Marvel Comics fans for about 30 years) I can tell you that Civil War had enough plot holes to sink the Titanic, and that’s WITHOUT counting the poor continuity with previous stories or even its own tie-ins! Great idea, true, but handled poorly.

Getting back to Cap’s death, check out what I just found online; a list of ALL the times Captain America has died! (Some were only “symbolic” deaths, though.)

http://filingcabinetofthedamned.blogspot.com/2005/06/like-jesus-but-with-fisticuffs.html

I was aware of many of these, but not others. Wow. You can see why we comics fans are so skeptical of their eliminating Rogers now.

13 deaths? How many of these have you read, Wil?

They used to say that “nobody dies in comics except Bucky, Uncle Ben, and Jason Todd.” However, since then, all three of those characters have been brought back.

I strongly disagree. The mini-series worked on many levels. From a narrative standpoint, it consisted of some great action and the most plausible “gigantic crossover” premise since maybe Secret War (the old one). Contrast this with last year’s House of M, which was really stale and blahh. As a political statement, it was a tremendous compilation of all the arguments (and perspectives) of the American policy debate between safety/intrusion vs. liberty/risk, using the super heroes as a cool allegorical tool. I thought it was incredibly balanced too, in no way was one side shown as demonstrably “correct.” I think the dialogue and plotting was very well-done (I should qualify that I’m a huge Millar fan), and I’d like to know of any plot holes you found. I admit that the last issue or so tailed off, but in my opinion only because the action scene wasn’t as cool as I hyped it in my mind.

Lastly, some people give far too much weight to continuity, why should what writers did 30-60 years ago (not all of it very good!) dictate the events of the present. In my opinion these characters are like modern folk tales or myths, constantly reimagined and interpreted by generations of creators without severely altering the major characteristics that make the character stand out. What matters is whether or not they tell a good story. But I’d like to see your examples of continuity problems to look at.

Originally Posted by Yar Kramer
They used to say that “nobody dies in comics except Bucky, Uncle Ben, and Jason Todd.” However, since then, all three of those characters have been brought back.

Did they bring back Spidey’s first Girl friend?

Gwen Stacy is alive in Ultimate Spider-Man, and her clone came back during the Clone Saga.

Uncle Ben, however, has stayed dead across like ever Marvel continuity. He hasn’t been brought back to life. They just use him in internal monologues and flashback sequences.

I thought Gwen had died in Ultimate Spider Man? Am I wrong? Gwen was also, for the record, alive in House of M, wherein Spider Man lived a happy, full life with her that he has regretted not having ever since he returned. (As he should. Gwen was a much cooler girlfriend.)

My problem with Civil War was, as written, it was a totally blatant conduit for a political statement. Its plot was something of a massive, personality-bending hole. (On an unrelated note I didn’t have another point to place, I felt the characters lacked any sense of personal idiom in dialog the main series.) It was, agreeably, the most reasonable crossover since Secret War (besides Age of Apocalypse, but it doesn’t count since it’s a spin-off, not a crossover, really).
That said, I love political statements. The problem with Civil War as a political statements is that a eunuch who had gender reassignment surgery had more balls than it did.