Capcom vs SNK 2

My friends are having a bunch of people over to play SC2 and Capcom vs SNK 2. I know i can lay the hurt on them in SC2, but im lacking in Capcom vs SNK 2. I usaully play as-

Yuri, Terry, Iori/N groove/ACism

Is this a good team/combination?

I can bust out my teams specials and super-specials whenever i need to, but i wanted to know if anyone knows any stratagies for general combos.

Thanks…

I figure all SNK players would generally do better with an SNK groove, but that’s just a very simple observation, and not necesarily true at all :stuck_out_tongue:

As for grooves, whatever you like is cool. It’s all about really what compliments your fighting style the best, I think. So, if your general strategies are strengthened by C and/or A groove, then that’s cool.

…As for strategies, I don’t really like SNK characters much, so I can’t help you there :stuck_out_tongue:

Ever tried that trick with Iori where you toss a jab-level fireball from 3/4 to full screen distance (well, ground one) and then run after it, and the opponent attempts a possible step back but is immobilized to block, leaving him/her open to a grab/roll-in to his/her back?

I have one tactic for you.

Roll cancel.

Gosh, Roll Canceling isn’t THAT great. :stuck_out_tongue: Just like in Crossover games, when someone rolls at me, I just throw their stupid ass. :stuck_out_tongue:

The trick to Roll Canceling is not to abuse it, and not to use it in a more predictable way.

Hey man, SNK is where its at!

Actually, i only use N groove, because its the closest KOF groove, and i KICK ASS at KOF…

Originally posted by Skankin’ Garbage
[b]Gosh, Roll Canceling isn’t THAT great. :stuck_out_tongue: Just like in Crossover games, when someone rolls at me, I just throw their stupid ass. :stuck_out_tongue:

The trick to Roll Canceling is not to abuse it, and not to use it in a more predictable way. [/b]

SG, do you know what a roll is?

A roll is an invincible to everything except throws maneuver. When you roll cancel, you transfer that invincibility to the move you are cancelling it with. Roll Cancelling, say, an anti-air is unviable because the number of invincibility frames will make you vulnerable on your way down.

Can you even throw someone out of the RC animation?

Let’s say you RC an Hadouken. You can jump over the projectile and throw, but if you RC, say, a Tiger Knee, you don’t have time to throw the guy, since he’s AIRBORNE. Unless you have Zangief (and you’ll probably miss it with Zangief) or Maki, you can’t airthrow. That goes for many other maneuvers. Some maneuvers are worthy of RC, some aren’t. When you RC, you have pretty much everything to gain (invincibility, can’t be hit out of otherwise low priority moves) and nothing to lose. By Roll Cancel, I assume you meant that it was cancelling a roll by a special move, right?

Dude, you should know this, I don’t even play CvS2 all that much and I do!

And N-Groove, with Terry, it’s useful for Level 3 Buster Wolf into Level 1 Power Geyser, but that’s just for show.

I hope you won’t play Iori like you would in an SNK game, he has comboability. Also, the same for every character, they usually have a set-up that goes like this : c.LK, c.LK xx Super.

If you’re in A-Groove, then the team you have is great, otherwise, I’d strongly suggest replacing Yuri by Sagat or Blanka or any character that doesn’t have bad match-ups (like Kim, Kim, even though he isn’t strong, has no bad match-ups).

[b]Gosh, Roll Canceling isn’t THAT great. :stuck_out_tongue: Just like in Crossover games, when someone rolls at me, I just throw their stupid ass. :stuck_out_tongue:

The trick to Roll Canceling is not to abuse it, and not to use it in a more predictable way. [/b]

SG, do you know what a roll is?

A roll is an invincible to everything except throws maneuver. When you roll cancel, you transfer that invincibility to the move you are cancelling it with. Roll Cancelling, say, an anti-air is unviable because the number of invincibility frames will make you vulnerable on your way down.

Can you even throw someone out of the RC animation?

Let’s say you RC an Hadouken. You can jump over the projectile and throw, but if you RC, say, a Tiger Knee, you don’t have time to throw the guy, since he’s AIRBORNE. Unless you have Zangief (and you’ll probably miss it with Zangief) or Maki, you can’t airthrow. That goes for many other maneuvers. Some maneuvers are worthy of RC, some aren’t. When you RC, you have pretty much everything to gain (invincibility, can’t be hit out of otherwise low priority moves) and nothing to lose. By Roll Cancel, I assume you meant that it was cancelling a roll by a special move, right?

Dude, you should know this, I don’t even play CvS2 all that much and I do!

And N-Groove, with Terry, it’s useful for Level 3 Buster Wolf into Level 1 Power Geyser, but that’s just for show.

I hope you won’t play Iori like you would in an SNK game, he has comboability. Also, the same for every character, they usually have a set-up that goes like this : c.LK, c.LK xx Super.

If you’re in A-Groove, then the team you have is great, otherwise, I’d strongly suggest replacing Yuri by Sagat or Blanka or any character that doesn’t have bad match-ups (like Kim, Kim, even though he isn’t strong, has no bad match-ups).

Lol, Iga!

1. You can sweep people out of rolls too, there’s only a certain part where someone’s invincible

2. It’s even then still pretty easy to throw someone before they cancel it into a move

3. If you stay on the ground and let someone come at you with a Roll Cancel all the time like that, then shit, you deserve to die. Kinda like Sabretooth in XMvSF, if you stay on the ground and let him come at you, maybe you should be killed with ease. :stuck_out_tongue:

So, I stick by my original statement, that Roll Canceling isn’t all that great, and should be used sparingly, because if you use it thinking it’s godlike like most people do, you’re gonna get your ass handed to you by any chump who knows what they’re doing. Whoopdee doo for roll cancels :stuck_out_tongue:

And BTW, I hardly play it either. :stuck_out_tongue: I know what I know because I’ve been playing SF2 hardcore since I was 6, from there it doesn’t take long to learn a few extra game addons. :smiley: There are actually no CvS2 machines within 100 miles of my house, and the only time I ever get to play it is when my friend lets me borrow his Dreamcast Import. :stuck_out_tongue: The DC Import isn’t that great though, a few things are different, most notably to me are that certain moves on the DC version can be blocked standing, like Vice’s throw move, and Cammy’s Cannon Drill, whereas in the arcade version, you must crouch block them.

Lol, Iga!

1. You can sweep people out of rolls too, there’s only a certain part where someone’s invincible

2. It’s even then still pretty easy to throw someone before they cancel it into a move

3. If you stay on the ground and let someone come at you with a Roll Cancel all the time like that, then shit, you deserve to die. Kinda like Sabretooth in XMvSF, if you stay on the ground and let him come at you, maybe you should be killed with ease. :stuck_out_tongue:

So, I stick by my original statement, that Roll Canceling isn’t all that great, and should be used sparingly, because if you use it thinking it’s godlike like most people do, you’re gonna get your ass handed to you by any chump who knows what they’re doing. Whoopdee doo for roll cancels :stuck_out_tongue:

And BTW, I hardly play it either. :stuck_out_tongue: I know what I know because I’ve been playing SF2 hardcore since I was 6, from there it doesn’t take long to learn a few extra game addons. :smiley: There are actually no CvS2 machines within 100 miles of my house, and the only time I ever get to play it is when my friend lets me borrow his Dreamcast Import. :stuck_out_tongue: The DC Import isn’t that great though, a few things are different, most notably to me are that certain moves on the DC version can be blocked standing, like Vice’s throw move, and Cammy’s Cannon Drill, whereas in the arcade version, you must crouch block them.

[b]Lol, Iga!

1. You can sweep people out of rolls too, there’s only a certain part where someone’s invincible[/b]

Yes, it does. In the first 21-22 frames of a roll, you are invincible. If you hit a guy on the 23rd frame of a roll, you hit him no matter if you throw him or do anything. Roll Cancelling involves cancelling in the first 2-3 frames of a roll. Therefore giving you at least 20 frames of invincibility, which, in most moves, is enough to hit someone who’s expecting to have better priority.

That means you are close, very close, and you’d have better advantages to poke them with a c.LK, c.LK xx Super, because you can only RC in the first 2-3 frames of a roll. The time the guy rolls and cancels, you’ll have landed a super on his ass. Only people who don’t know how to play will attempt a special move in throw range, especially if you can be poked out of it.

First of all, RCs cannot be seen from afar. The cancelling is so tight that you BARELY see the roll, if at all. If the guy rolls towards you and then makes a special move, that’s not a roll cancel, that’s a roll THEN a special move. First of all, XSF is a bad comparison as CvS2 is a poke-turtle friendly game, and the Marvel versus series (XSF, MSHvSF, MvC, MvC2) are offensive-friendly. Roll Cancels just ADD on a special move and thus can’t be seen.

[b]

[/b]

Perhaps, but roll cancels are good nonetheless, you have everything to gain from gaining invincibility to your special move, and nothing to lose. Seriously. What would you rather have, a Burn Knuckle that can go through every fucking thing on the planet and then some (except if it’s blocked), or a Burn Knuckle that can be hit out of pretty easily?

I’d prefer the former.

Plus, if you play against a mediocre player, he will never roll cancel, he won’t have the REALLY FUCKING TIGHT execution that roll cancelling requires. Hence why I play K-Groove now.

[b]

And BTW, I hardly play it either. :stuck_out_tongue: I know what I know because I’ve been playing SF2 hardcore since I was 6, from there it doesn’t take long to learn a few extra game addons. :smiley: There are actually no CvS2 machines within 100 miles of my house, and the only time I ever get to play it is when my friend lets me borrow his Dreamcast Import. :stuck_out_tongue: The DC Import isn’t that great though, a few things are different, most notably to me are that certain moves on the DC version can be blocked standing, like Vice’s throw move, and Cammy’s Cannon Drill, whereas in the arcade version, you must crouch block them.[/b]

Vice’s throw move can be blocked? Your CvS2 is messed up. It’s a THROW, it’s not supposed to be blocked.

http://www.shoryuken.com/features/s020205.shtml

All about Roll Cancelling, and then some.

Well. :stuck_out_tongue:

1. The problem with Roll Canceling is that you can still block the move. Yay.

2. The people I use mainly have Charge, Fwd - Back - Fwd supers, rather than QCF x2 motions, so no, a throw would still be better in almost every case for ME

3. I’m not comparing XMvSF to CvS2, I’m comparing Sabretooth to Roll Canceling. Don’t just generalize my statements, that’s a logical fallacy. :stuck_out_tongue: And I wouldn’t say that CvS2 or Crossover games really specialize for a certain type of fighting style. I play very offensively in CvS2, and I win. It’s just a matter of how the character is more efficient. Likewise in Crossover games, how many people have you ever seen own with an offensive BLACKHEART? I doubt you’ve ever seen one cos he’s a defensive character, simple as that. There are offensive and defensive characters in every game.

4. See statement 1. A burn knuckle that is invinicible can still be blocked, and you know what I do to people who leave themselves wide open? >:D It just seems like a more desperate way to pull of a special move in most cases to me. Yes I agree, it’s nice. But it’s hardly ever applicable in a good way. Maybe it’s the way I fight that prevents me from integrating roll cancels into my strategy, and prevents roll cancels from being used all that efficiently on me. But I’ve never had any trouble with it.

5. I see, I didn’t know Vice’s throw move could not be blocked. The person I played at San Diego the other day insisted that they could, so I took his word for it. You can in the DC version, no problem.

I’m lazy, so I just use the A Groove. I should probably try the others.

And WHY THE FUCKING HELL DID CvsSNK2 MAKE HAOHMARU SO DAMN WEAK? HE’S FROM ONE OF THE COOLEST SERIES EVER, DAMNIT! HOW DARE THEY SCREW HIM UP! RAAH! rips his local arcade’s CvsSNK2 machine to pieces