Burn in hell you devil.

My computer needs to be shot. My scanners detect no viruses or spy/adware yet my computer is still fucking up all the time. It is constantly losing settings, it goes to bizarre pages or gives me a 404 at bad times (such as trying to go here or Yahoo! for example). It needs to be put out of its fucking misery. The worse thing is, I know my connection is fine since I can still download stuff and visit pages in other windows I have open. Imay be going back to my Linux computer which I haven’t used in awhile if this keeps up. I’ve forgotten the some good of Linux.

EDIT: I should add that it also gets REALLY slow at times for now reason when I browse My Computer.

How old is it? What are the general specs?

It isn’t too old. I got it in Sept 2002 (shortly after boot camp).

General Specs:
XP Home edition
2.22 gHz P4 processor
160gb hard drive
512 DDR Ram

EDIT: Also, I may accidently post the same messge a couple times sicne sometimes the board takes me to CNet (most of the time, sometimes it is other places, and I have NEVR been to CNet on this computer). So when I push back or refresh to have it actually load the page I may double post and I’m sorry. Just a heads up.

These are some common flaws of old Windows systems. Disregard what I’ve just said if you’re using XP.

That definetly is very unusual. A new HD might be your only recourse since the formating didn’t do anything. I wonder what kind of bug might be able to survive a formating. It doesn’t make sense something could live in RAM cuz doesn’t RAM clear after your restart? But damn, 160 gigs of lost HD, that hurts. Is it still under warranty? If you can find some cheap pos or something lying around to test out, it might be helpful indicator of what’s up.

Hey

By settings, do you mean Windows settings or BIOS ones?

It sounds like windows settings because I don’t see how the BIOS could affect pages randomly loading.

You’re right, but I was thnking about the slowness of his machine. I don’t mean to cast bad luck on him, but what if were both Windows and Bios?

It isn’t under warranty anymore (partly because I put in 1 160gb hard drive after the 120gb hard drive failed) because any coverage expired after the first year. Yeah, they are system settings that keep changing. My sceen saver will be off, my power settings will be changed, the My Computer folders sometimes go to default or partial settings of what I have. Even my BG has changed a couple of times. I wouldn’t imagine a bug would stick in the RAM, especially after a reformatting.

It’s a PC, what do you think PCs are supposed to do: Work flawlessly for all time?
I think it has something to do with the fact you’re running Windows XP Home on it, an operative system not very well recognized for not giving the users problems. I suggest you downgrade to Windows 2000, or upgrade to Windows 2003.

How recent are your scanners?

Originally posted by Nulani
[b]It’s a PC, what do you think PCs are supposed to do: Work flawlessly for all time?
I think it has something to do with the fact you’re running Windows XP Home on it, an operative system not very well recognized for not giving the users problems. I suggest you downgrade to Windows 2000, or upgrade to Windows 2003.

How recent are your scanners? [/b]

I know that, but these are not typical problems or problems that are necessarily easy to fix (like what would you recommend for the browser problem. My scanners are all up to date. In fact, in just the last couple of days I’ve gotten updates. Windows 2003? Where do you get that? I haven’t seen it anywhere. Windows 2000? I’d have to reformat losing tons of data (I’ve filled about half of my 160gb hard drive) AND I’d be forfeiting all the software that came preinstalled on my computer which is a lot. Besides, if it is some sort of bug in the system that survived a reformat, what is to say I’d be good even after installing 2000? I expect bugs, just not ones that are random and can’t be fixed or even detected.

Evaluation copy is avaiable here.

And if you already have formatted there can only be two explanations, the hardware is bugged or you reinstalled some software that is bugged - for example the OS.