Breath of Fire 4 review.

This game is so, so, stupid. I got to the last battle and didn’t play the game for like four nights in a row. I actually had to sit down and be like “okay, I’m gonna beat this game.” augh.

I’m not quite sure how this managed to happen, but, in trying to take the Breath of Fire series in a ‘new direction’ (according to the Scenario Writer of the series), Breath of Fire 4 took an awful lot of steps backwards. It’s almost incredibly how much worse this game is in every respect compared to its previous installment. In fact, if it weren’t for the fast-paced combat, most of this game would probably fit right in with the first two ass-backwards Breath of Fire games.

You’ll probably notice right away that this game tries to take on a much darker tone in comparison to the previous installments - both darker in color, and darker in its mood. The funny thing is, both of these things served to be kind of pointless: Changing the graphics to a more stern, serious look takes a lot away from the feel of the series, and makes it look like your everyday generic JRPG. The duller colors, combined with the grainy graphics make it look in some ways like a Sega Genesis/Sega CD game. The darker tone of story is sort of moot, as almost every Breath of Fire game except for the first one were pretty dark (and even then, the first one at least TRIED). In fact, I would even say that Breath of Fire 4 is probably the least emotionally impacting game in the series - the first one notwithstanding - save for about one five-minute-long scene in the game.

Also, to try and darken the mood, the soundtrack was given a change from the usual ‘jucuzzi jazz’ elements found in the first three games. Breath of Fire 4, written by Yoshino Aoki (Mega Man X3, co-composer of Breath of Fire 3) has written a soundtrack full of mostly contemporary orchestral music, most of which is painfully mediocre. She also wrote a few tracks that combined Gagaku and Yayue music (traditional japanese and chinese music) with stock techno beats. I certainly liked these tracks a bit better; but, they’re still not very great.

So, what about this ‘dark’ story anyways? The game starts out with a terribly uninformative expoisition. You’re Nina. You’re looking for your sister, Elina, with a dude named Cray. She was last seen in a town called Synesta, a town at the edge of a great desert. Your vehicle crashes, and you go to look for more parts while Cray makes sure no one jacks parts from the vehicle. On your way to a town, you meet some dude, Ryu, who appears to have amnesia. Nina offers to take him along for a while, and the story starts from there.

So, this brings up a lot more questions than answers, if you ask me…but, not good questions like “Who abducted Elina and where was she taken?” But rather, “Who the hell is Nina? Who is Cray, and why does he give a crap about Nina and Elina? Who the hell would even kidnap Elina, and why?” These questions are answered eventually; but they are things that maybe you should already know, Since the game portrays Nina as the main character from the beginning.

From that point on, the fetch quests never end. You want sandflier parts? You have to play some mini game and beat it, so that the guy at the bar will tell you where there’s an information broker (who won’t talk to you before that, by the way). The information broker tells you that there’s a place here that sells parts, but you have to know the password. So, you have to find the password. Then, you go to the place and give them the password…BUT! They don’t actually have sandflier parts; they just repair old parts into usable parts. So, you go to some place in the desert to get the parts, and come back…but! Some general from the next country over is accosting people at the bar. So, you butt in, and then you have to escape from the foreign soldiers by taking an ass-backwards way across the desert to get back to where Cray is…with no sandflier parts, by the way, meaning everything you just did for the first few hours was pointless. So, the party, reunited with Cray, hoofs it to Synesta, where they are met with several more stupid fetch quests.

That was the first five hours of the game, in a nutshell.

This is how the entire game plays out. There will always be 100 fetch quests between you and your next objective. Your objectives rarely change, and and are sometimes so obscure that it´s hard to say exactly what you’re doing and why - Personally, there were a lot of times when I started the game up again, and I had completely lost my frame of reference as to what was going on. Also, you rarely learn new things about the plot or characters, of which you knew so little to begin with. These factors combine to make the game feel very tedious overall, as if you´re slogging through the game, thinking “Maybe It’ll pick up after a certain point”, but it never does.

Also, the game sends you in certain directions sometimes without telling you why. For example, at one point in the game, you reach a town, and someone tells you “Hey, have you seen the aqueduct outside of town?” So, when you leave town, you can suddenly go to the aqueduct. And, it’s supposed to be where you go next, but why? You have no reason to believe that you can find what you’re looking for at the aqueduct, making it feel kind of silly to even go there with no leads. The game tends to do this from time to time, which is obnoxious, too.

The last horribly obnoxious thing about the game is that the main exposition of the game is swept aside for a different, less interesting objective concerning Ryu and his identity. The strangest thing is that for the majority of the game, Nina and Cray seem to forget how important it is to find Elina. And, when the whole thing gets resolved at the end - as powerful an impact as those scenes might make - it serves to be more frustrating than relieving.

There is a slightly interesting, alternate part of the story, too, where you play as Fou-Lu, the first emperor of the ‘Fou Empire’ - the villains. They are played at certain parts of the game when Ryu sleeps, and the game largely hints at a mysterious connection between Ryu and Fou-Lu. Besides the fact that Fou-Lu’s scenes are too scarce, sporadic and short, the intrigue of his story will eventually go down the crapper, too.

There are, of course, many other frustrating things about the game; but, it’s hard to discuss them without spoiling the game too greatly. Rest assured, the game lacks a lot of character development and direction throughout its entire course.

Last up to bat is the gameplay. In all honesty, the gameplay itself isn’t so bad. BoF4 took a lot of BoF3’s innovations and improved on them. The Fairy village, where you make your own town, is much easier and intuitive than BoF3. The fishing mini-game is more involved, although I think it’s a little too hard. The Master system - where your characters learn skills and gain different stat bonuses at level-ups - is greatly improved, since you can change Masters at camp now, not to mention that you learn skills from completing specific objectives, rather than leveling up.

The actual combat is not so bad. It’s not much different from your average turn-based RPG at first. However, once you get more than three characters - the max amount of characters you can have in your party - you can switch in characters not in your current party in between turns. This is a nice touch that encourages you to use all your characters. There are also ‘combo’ attacks, where you can combine spells to deal extra damage, or even make new ones (for example, a wind spell followed by an ice spell makes a thunder spell). This was a, nice touch to the game, if a bit pointless. Also, much to my surprise, every character gets experience for battles, and there is absolutely NO grinding required to beat the game (although you may WANT to grind for the last boss, who is absolutely obnoxious). It’s kind of sad that these two things are a PLUS for this game, when they should be a GIVEN; but, it’s still nice to know that they FINALLY got it right after four games.

There is only one thing that grinds my gears about combat in this game: At about 3/4 of the way through the game, the entire game gets abruptly harder, due to physical attacks becoming obsolete. It never gets so hard that you have trouble, but it does make the otherwise quick battles take an unreasonably long time. I’m not sure why they couldn’t make more fights where you had to strategically use both physical AND magic attacks…but, they didn’t. To that end, the game balance feels kind of lazy, as you blow through the entire game with no problems, then slowly trudge through the last stretch of the game.

What else…the game is about thirty hours; a tragedy, since you could cut way more than ten hours of extraneous bullshit out of this game. There is also a PC version, which is kind of cool. There are a handful of problems with it, though. First off, if your graphics card is really good, there will be a HUGE disparity between the quality of 2D and 3D graphics (even though the 2D graphics are slightly improved on the PC version). Sometimes, when playing mini games, the game will explain the instructions with the default buttons, leaving you screwed if you changed anything. Lastly, and most obnoxiously, the game has a tendency to crash if you get anything that pops up in windows, like an Instant Message window or something. The game also crashes sometimes when you have specific party members in the front ranks versus a specific group of enemies on the first turn (oddly specific, I know; but it’s true!). Thank GOD this never happened when playing as Fou-Lu, or else it very well could have been impossible to complete the game on PC.

And that’s that. The story is pretty awful, and Capcom could do - and by this time had already done - a lot better. There’s nothing aesthetically interesting about this game - also, even less so than its counterparts. The gameplay boasts a lot of neat features, and the combat is passable at the time this game was released (2000); however, there are a TON of games that take turn-based combat and do it a lot better than Breath of Fire 4. If you seriously have a hankering to play a Breath of Fire game, play BoF3, or BoF:Dragon Quarter, for your own sanity.

Breath of Fire 4 remains the only game I ever played where I made it all the way to the final boss… and just turned the game off in disinterest. Seriously, I felt NO compulsion to beat the game at all. Even my most hated game, I felt an urge to beat, if only to be done with it forever! THis game was just… boring.

and the combat is passable at the time this game was released (2000)

2000? Time certainly flies.

Wow, SG, you certainly have strong opinions regarding the BoF series. You either love them (5) or hate them (the rest). But at least you discuss them well. :slight_smile: Remember how we used to argue 5’s merits? I never did get to buy it because I just feared it would be too dark for my taste. I may have been wrong, I realize now. Too bad I passed up the chance to buy the game again recently. :thud:

I played BoF4 hoping that it would be like #3, the first of its series I played, and one of my all-time favorite games. I was partially disappointed; in graphics, gameplay etc. everything was just as good or better, but the story WAS much darker. It left a bad taste in my mouth that lasts to this day. Not the worst RPG story I’ve seen, but the tragic moments do stand out in my mind. Instead of a well-balanced story, we had an average adventure with some shocking moments thrown in. I still can’t forgive it for forcing us to kill Elina. The death of Fou Lu’s love interest was heartbreaking too, even if it was predictable.

I agree that the story meandered, too. However, I will give it points for originality: setting the whole thing up in an Ancient China-like setting (not that common in RPGs); exploring the nature of “gods”; using the very “founder” of the Empire as a character; splitting the game in two, showing Fou Lu’s side of things; and the use of necromantic “pseudo-nuclear” technology. Also, I found the characters, particularly the new ones, to be interesting. I especially liked the ones who found themselves switching sides to join us. If only the rest of the story had been better.

I didn’t like the Masters in this game as much as 3’s, but I agree the system was better. I also didn’t like Ryu’s Dragon Forms system as much. The graphics were OK, however, still Anime-like but with more detail than the previous game. Still, 3’s had a charm that 4’s did not.

No comment on the music as I don’t recall it at all. That’s typical of me. :stuck_out_tongue:

In conclusion, I find that BoF 4 is a good game, very much playable especially if you know what you are in for. It’s far from being a bad game, except in story matters. It’s just that it could’ve been so much better so easily. Damn.

(Note that, also usual for me, I had bought the guide first, and read it throughly, so I wasn’t as confused as I would have been otherwise. Being immune to spoilers has its benefits. :wink: )

Ironically, SG, your BOF3 review actually led me to play the game again recently. How about doing BoF5 next? Maybe I’ll be motivated to buy it on Ebay or something…

Question: I can’t recall right now: was Yuna (the mad scientist, who was to blame for everything, if I remember right) ever punished? Or did he escape?

Actually, I do like Breath of Fire 3. It’s just not like, a GREAT game. It was pretty much awesome at the time it came out, though. The problem with the breath of fire series is that they usually release games with ideas that are no longer original - stale, even - by the time they’re released. Breath of Fire 4 was released only seven years ago. Think about all the games that we’d already seen by then, and tell me that you don’t think a lot of BoF4’s aspects are pretty archaic.

Breath of Fire 3 was really original at the time, and the story was good, at least for the first 35-ish percent of the game. It just didn’t age well.

I played BoF4 hoping that it would be like #3, the first of its series I played, and one of my all-time favorite games. I was partially disappointed; in graphics, gameplay etc. everything was just as good or better, but the story WAS much darker. It left a bad taste in my mouth that lasts to this day. Not the worst RPG story I’ve seen, but the tragic moments do stand out in my mind. Instead of a well-balanced story, we had an average adventure with some shocking moments thrown in. I still can’t forgive it for forcing us to kill Elina. The death of Fou Lu’s love interest was heartbreaking too, even if it was predictable.

Personally, I think that the series was really dark already. I mean, think about some of the parts in 2 and 3…

Like…in Breath of Fire 2, the scene where Tiga and Claris are brutally, BRUTALLY murdered by Habaruku in front of hundreds of people, while you have to sit and watch. I’ll never forget the image of them crawling towards each other for one last embrace, before Habaruku lifts them several feet up, and violently smashes them into the ground. Now THAT is dark. Nevermind the whole backstory of Sten, which is one of the only other good parts of the game…it could have been a pretty amazing part if it were better-developed.

Or in Breath of Fire 3, where Ryu’s friends are presumed murdered by Balio and Sunder… or the whole Bringing people back from the dead, or even the fact that Garr and the other guardians commited a genocide of an entire race who didn’t fight back, and tons more. Breath of Fire 3 had colorful graphics, but it was also a very dark story.

Breath of Fire 4 just LOOKED dark. The only part that I thought was ‘dark’ was the scene you mentioned…which, I actually found to be the best scene in the game, even if the lead-up to it was godawful.

I agree that the story meandered, too. However, I will give it points for originality: setting the whole thing up in an Ancient China-like setting (not that common in RPGs); exploring the nature of “gods”; using the very “founder” of the Empire as a character; splitting the game in two, showing Fou Lu’s side of things; and the use of necromantic “pseudo-nuclear” technology. Also, I found the characters, particularly the new ones, to be interesting. I especially liked the ones who found themselves switching sides to join us. If only the rest of the story had been better.

Those things are original, to be sure; but none of them are really powerful enough to drive a game. The Fou-Lu parts could have been, but they’re too sporadic at first, and the entire middle section of the game (both Ryu’s and Fou-Lu’s) seem to go nowhere, and it just isn’t interesting anymore.

I didn’t like the Masters in this game as much as 3’s, but I agree the system was better. I also didn’t like Ryu’s Dragon Forms system as much. The graphics were OK, however, still Anime-like but with more detail than the previous game. Still, 3’s had a charm that 4’s did not.

The dragon system isn’t as interesting, but it was probably too hard to use the Gene system of BoF3 without breaking the game. You could get so far in Breath of Fire 3 with such awful levels as long as you knew how to exploit the Gene system. Breath of Fire 4’s dragon system was a step backwards, but it was a step backwards that was intended to balance the game in a good respect. So, I can appreciate that.

No comment on the music as I don’t recall it at all. That’s typical of me. :stuck_out_tongue:

There are a few good songs, but most of it is very, very bland and forgettable. Funny, cos I usually like this composer.

In conclusion, I find that BoF 4 is a good game, very much playable especially if you know what you are in for. It’s far from being a bad game, except in story matters. It’s just that it could’ve been so much better so easily. Damn.

Personally, I think the only good aspect is the gameplay…which isn’t a bad thing by any stretch, but when the story doesn’t really drive you to want to play it, it becomes more of a chore than anything. Also, remember that this game was released in 2000, and had been outdone quite thoroughly by that time, even in the realm of turn-based RPGs.

Ironically, SG, your BOF3 review actually led me to play the game again recently. How about doing BoF5 next? Maybe I’ll be motivated to buy it on Ebay or something…

Incidentally, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter was the first game I ever reviewed. I had intended to play through it again anyways, especially because I’m supposed to do the walkthrough of it (and it’s long overdue). I had figured I would revise the review, because my first two or three reviews had a different style from the one I currently use (I used to try and x-copy SK’s review style, just to get my bearings). Besides that, I had wanted to do an in-depth look at the series anyways, so it might be good to replay it just so that the details are fresh.

Question: I can’t recall right now: was Yuna (the mad scientist, who was to blame for everything, if I remember right) ever punished? Or did he escape?

Nope. They were going to, appearantly, but didn’t have the time to write it in. There were quite a lot of things taken out of the game, especially the American version. Ever curious what happened to emperor Soniel? Or why the credits are in japanese? Go check out the wikipedia entry on Breath of Fire 4.

Lol. I remember the first time I ever played it way back in 2002, I remember beating it, and I quite literaly said. “…Okay.” and turned the game off, returned it to my friend, and never thought about it again. …Well, save for the occasional “Wow, I really had to catch some guy’s chicken in order to save the world.” I’ve still never gotten over that.

Breath of Fire 3 had colorful graphics, but it was also a very dark story.

Oh, I agree. If you pay attention to the story details, you realize that the game had a pretty dark message -“kill or be killed”- from the very beginning. It’s just that the focus was mostly in the standard RPG story features- adventures, humor, etc- so that it didn’t carry through that effectively. In contrast, while 4 had its fun moments, the whole sense of oppression and desperation was more dominant. And I find the deaths I mentioned above to be more tragic than anything in 3. Probably because you got to know the characters involved better.

Oh, and I did go to Wikipedia, Thanks. So, the bad guys’ deaths were edited out because they were too gross (and they were hurried with the translation?) I guess it’s for the best; but they should at least have let us know Yuna was dead; I always felt I needed more closing on the story there.

(Hey Wil, I edited your post slightly to keep spoilers to an absolute minimum. - SG.)

(No prob, SG. -Wil)

Hmm…I guess I just saw it differently. I always saw the humorous stuff in 3 to be comic relief, and that 4 didn’t really have that stuff cos it was boring :stuck_out_tongue: I see your point, though.

Oh, and I did go to Wikipedia, Thanks. So, the bad guys’ deaths were edited out because they were too gross (and they were hurried with the translation?) I guess it’s for the best; but they should at least have let us know Yuna was dead; I always felt I needed more closing on the story there.

Well, they cut out the scene of emperor Soniel being beheaded, but Yuna’s death was something that was just cut from ALL versions. So, I would say that it’s unclear what happens with Yuna after the ending.

Wow, 2000? Amazing, I remember the day that I was anxiously waiting for BoF 4 to come out O_o…however Im not one to play a sequel until I beat the previous game (take Xenosaga, I even played part 2, the most mediocre RPG Ive ever played and to this day , like Wil said, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Now that game was a fucking chore) but Ive attempted passing BoF 3 and EACH and EVERY time I try ( Im counting 5 times now) to beat the damn game, I get to that futuristic ruins place and lose interest. Ive never finished the damn game (though its pretty good)

How are you getting through all these games so fast? Get a job. Find a girlfriend.

BoF4 only drew me in with the combat system. I got that much out of it and returned the game, as well.

I thought Scias was a really hip character. Kind of reminds me of one of the animal archers in the Disney rendition of Robin Hood.

I’m looking foward to your redux review of BoF5. I bought the game a few months ago and haven’t gotten around to playing it yet; I need a good reason to pick it up after I finish Twilight Princess.

I already have both. It’s not hard to make time for your hobbies if you really want to.

Yeah, the combat was about the only thing good about it.

Scias wasn’t bad, but there was one thing that bothered me about Scias, and the whole game in general: At the point where they’re talking about ‘life streams’, the equivalent of a character’s destiny and all that shit, it was said that Ryu’s stream just picks up everyone else’s that gets involved with him. So, when Scias betrays his employers to help Ryu, I feel that the implication is not so much that he was moved by their efforts to save Cray, but rather just because “ohohoho I got sucked into the lifestream of Ryu LOL”. What a bunch of fucking crap. If they hadn’t added in such a stupid thing, then I think Scias would have been quite the amazing character; Ershin, as well.

And by GOD, Kagato, play Dragon Quarter. Easily, uncontestably the best RPG on PS2. There’s no doubt in my mind about it.

He could also consider the worst. BOFV seems to be notorious for it’s division. It’s such a harsh depature from the series that those who liked the previous games in the series and feel they’ve invested in might be disappointed.

The thing is, BOFIV is the first BOF game I ever really invested my time in. I really…felt apathetic towards it or just felt disinterested. I still can’t make sense out of some bits of the story, the in media res part and when the narrative finally reached it just didn’t make sense to me. The game didn’t seem cohesive.

BOFV seemed to be the direct opposite of the BOF legacy. So, it’s no surprise that I loved it. Maybe it’s not such a dramatic departure; if the previous entries were dark than BOFV is just an evolution of that. BOFIV seemed dark? Psh, the feeling of hope in that game is like a canary in a mine, but I believed in it.

Gosh, I’m sorry. This is a review of BOFIV. If I start gushing about BOFV I’ll go on for quite a while.

Yeah, but Dragon Quarter really is an awesome game. I think it sucks that it put the series to such a halt, because the Breath of Fire series was such a dinosaur before that; none of the fans seem to fucking get the fact that you have to evolve to survive.

The thing about evolution is, you eventually change to the point where you are not the same thing anymore. (Which may or may not be good, it depends.) What did BoFV had in common with the previous games, other than the use of a few names and a dragon form? By the next game, they might have dropped even that, and then it would be BoF in name only. Other, longer series, such as Final Fantasy, have managed to cover a LOT of ground, while still retaining elements that identify each game as “Final Fantasies” (the first CGI FF movie didn’t, however.)