Breath of Fire 2 question

I hit a snag recently playing the game, and I can’t understand what’s causing it. I get the feeling I’m missing something very obvious, though.

I got Bleu, and got her up to Lv39. She’s learned Bolt X and Missile, but for some reason she can’t cast them. Out of curiousity I loaded up an earlier game, at the end game, and I hit the same problem, she had the spells but couldn’t use them.

I looked at FAQs for answers, but found nothing. Yet these FAQs refer to boss battle strategies which tell you, if you use Bleu, to cast Bolt X. So it’s very strange. I don’t recall having this problem before, but it’s been a long time since I played the game.

SNES version, if it matters.

I think I’m forgetting SOMETHING, but I don’t know what…

It’s a bug, I think she learns them but needs to hit 40 or something to actually use them. I remember encountering this once too, it was annoying.

Yeah, it’s just like Zero said. X-Bolt will be available first, and Missile becomes usable at… I’m not sure but somwhere between 42-45 or so. Go to the tiny northern island if you are in a hurry to use them.

By the way, I don’t really bother with Missile. Nina and Bleu double casting X-Bolt is enough.